Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 02:30 PM

1,609 posts, read 2,015,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
Do the loud tones eventually shut up or will the loud tone go on for days or hours etc?
On the SimpliSafe site, it says the tone will go on for about 4 minutes. It is configurable from 30 seconds to 8 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 10:54 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,371,148 times
Gosh all this talk about alarm systems there like everyone has them. Is this true? I have a seasonal home in Phoenix not in a gated community, but a very nice area and have had it for almost 15 years without an alarm system, and it's vacant 8 months of the year.

Are break-ins that prevalent in Las Vegas compared to Phoenix?

Old 04-19-2012, 12:10 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
mod.....I wouldn't worry, I've been here for nearly 50 years...never had an alarm system [other then a dawg] and have never had a problem.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:37 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,371,148 times
Thanks that's good to hear. Was beginning to re-think Las Vegas. Not that I think it's not a good idea to have an alarm, but the thought that no one would think of not having one gives me pause.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:29 AM

Location: OC, Big Bear Lake, Las Vegas NV, Laughlin NV, Palm Desert CA
113 posts, read 422,668 times
I would avoid getting locked into a 3 year contract with a security alarm service, unless you're in a really ghetto complex. Best thing is to get rid of the cheap lock and deadbolt lock sets (like Kwikset) and put the higher quality, pick proof, bump key proof locks on your door. You can purchase a wireless local alarm for your property with motion detector, window & door sensor, remote and window decal. Ask neighbors to call you or the police if they hear the alarm or see people around your place. We have done the 3 yr contract thing twice and both times it was a waste of money. Putting the money into quality door and window locks is a good start to home security.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:46 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
If you maintain some sort of internet service in the unit when your not there, get an IP camera, so that you can actually see if anything is happening.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:33 AM

204 posts, read 389,068 times
IP cam is a very good idea (and cheap these days)

Old 04-27-2012, 04:41 AM

65 posts, read 85,518 times
get a big doggie. or an alligater

Old 04-27-2012, 07:49 AM

194 posts, read 398,232 times
For $100 u can get a wireless linksys camera. It can detect motion and email up to 3 addresses. Set your smartphone to check that email box every 5 minutes with a distinct audible alert. Gmail is free fast and reliable.

Also there's a cheap motion detector that will call up to 3 numbers.

I have both these in all 3 of my homes. Worthy 1 time investments.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:26 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
With a monitoring system, all that happens is the service calls the local police department, which in turn prioritizes that alarm company call way down at the bottom of the list. Police might show up an hour later or more, as police have learned from experience that most of these calls are false alarms (just like car alarms in the parking lot of the mall), and they also know that burglars will be gone within a few minutes anyway. I don't know if Las Vegas or Henderson require it, but some communities now require the monitoring service first dispatch a private security service who sends a rent-a-cop to do a drive-by to see if there is a problem, adding even more time before an actual police car would be dispatched.

I'm not convinced the monitoring service is worth it -- you can be the monitoring service yourself if the system just calls you directly.

I read in the newspaper in San Jose that an engineer had wireless IP cameras and a system that notified him (rather than the monitoring service). Then, on his iPhone he could see the burglars real-time.

And it worked -- his home was burglarized while he was at work, and the system notified him. He (rather than the monitoring service) called the police & told them he was watching the burglars through his iPhone & they were there real time -- and the police arrived within minutes (he stayed on the cell call with police dispatch the whole time) and the police caught the bad guys red handed. The police prioritize the call very high because it is the actual homeowner calling instead of the service, and he reported the number of intruders and that it was really happening (not a false alarm) and that it was happening now (the bad guys were there & he could see them). It may be overstating it, but I think the police prioritized it the same way they would if you were home & there were a home invasion & you were calling 911 from a hiding place in the closet or under the bed or wherever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: