Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 02:37 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
43% is the legal limit on front windows here
I also went the Ebay pre-cut route, but legally the front windows can be down to 35%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 02:40 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,313,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I also went he Ebay pre-cut route, but legally the front windows can be down to 35%
Good call it is 35%, 43% was the Utah front window limit.

Nevada Window Tint Law - TC Window Tint

Old 06-20-2012, 07:34 PM

487 posts, read 747,303 times
Here's an update on my auto tinting situation.

I went to Eco-Tint on Diablo on your kind suggestions and must say so far I am very happy. There are 4 levels of tint with Limo Tint the darkest. I had the 2nd deepest tint on my rear 3 windows. The 3rd level of tint on the two front windows and the least level of tint on my windshield. Cost me $300 and so far so good.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:44 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,782 times
Quote:
I've never had a tint ticket in Nevada, but the Utah Highway Patrol ticketed me 3 times when I had 5% on my fronts.
Ive heard this from several people. There is a term Ive heard used where other states have to respect other states laws or something. The same reason why you can drive on your out of state drivers license or why your kids can transfer schools. Obviously dark window tint + NV plates is an easy ticket for the coppers to rack up an easy kill because you probably wont go back to fight it. Wish I could think of that term.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:15 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoknite View Post
Ive heard this from several people. There is a term Ive heard used where other states have to respect other states laws or something. The same reason why you can drive on your out of state drivers license or why your kids can transfer schools. Obviously dark window tint + NV plates is an easy ticket for the coppers to rack up an easy kill because you probably wont go back to fight it. Wish I could think of that term.
Reciprocation? Ok, I checked, I think the term you're looking for is reciprocity.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:34 PM

542 posts, read 986,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
First question you need to answer is whether you are willing to spend the extra money on a premium window film. The premium films block a lot more infrared at the same VLT (darkness) as the cheap films, but cost a lot more, and are typically installed by installers who do not compete on price. The guy who tints cars for $100 isn't going to be installing 3M Crystalline. No matter who you go with, I'd make sure that I was getting a name brand film, even if it is just a dyed film.

Somewhere there is a post I made listing the prices at Eco-Tint for a few different films.

Found it: //www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...ndow-tint.html

Llumar metalized film: $199
Llumar ceramic film: $299
3M Crystalline film: $499

If I lived here full-time I'd consider removing the dyed film on my car and installing ceramic. I had Eco-tint install Llumar ceramic film on my wife's car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I was CERTAIN that I wanted tint. Until I drove a friend's truck. Tint is great in the day. I couldn't see s*** at night, though. I had to roll the windows down so I could drive and feel comfortable that I wasn't a hazard.
As posted above, there is actually an astronomical difference between even "good" tint and top of the line stuff...in quality and price.

There is some stuff on the market from Germany that is perfectly clear, and blocks 100% of the UV light, and 80% of the heat. Its so clear, you can even "tint" your windshield. The only place in Nevada that does it is in Reno...but there is a couple shops in SoCal. I was quoted right at $1000 to do my car (But its a hatch back, so I'm sure a vehicle with less/more narrow glass would be cheaper).

Sounds like a lot of money, but if you figure how much it would cost to replace your upholstery and cracked dashboard, it becomes an inexpensive process (for those of us that keep a vehicle longer than 3 years... lol).

Old 06-20-2012, 11:39 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m73m95 View Post
As posted above, there is actually an astronomical difference between even "good" tint and top of the line stuff...in quality and price.

There is some stuff on the market from Germany that is perfectly clear, and blocks 100% of the UV light, and 80% of the heat. Its so clear, you can even "tint" your windshield. The only place in Nevada that does it is in Reno...but there is a couple shops in SoCal. I was quoted right at $1000 to do my car (But its a hatch back, so I'm sure a vehicle with less/more narrow glass would be cheaper).

Sounds like a lot of money, but if you figure how much it would cost to replace your upholstery and cracked dashboard, it becomes an inexpensive process.
I guess everyone's reason for tinting their car is different. I have always did it for privacy reasons, so this tint would be completely worthless, at least to me.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:43 PM

542 posts, read 986,557 times
Oh, it would be a public service if I did it. If it keeps my car cooler in the summer, I could drive with a shirt on, and not scare people in the car next to me

(They do make the same stuff with actual tint (darker), but 1. It actually has slightly less protection from the sun than the clear does (don't know why, just what the spec says), and 2. I think its cool that you can tint the biggest piece of glass on your car...the windshield.)

Old 06-21-2012, 12:44 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Good call it is 35%, 43% was the Utah front window limit.

Nevada Window Tint Law - TC Window Tint
In California it's 70% for the front, and most people around here frequently go to California. I've never been stopped but doesn't mean they wouldn't do it.

Our '02 Honda may have been the last car we had tinted as our new car came with it, but $300 sounds like way too much money. We always go to Avi's at Fantastic Flea Mkt for tint, seat covers, and Sunshade covers for the windshield. It's the booth by the back door.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:45 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m73m95 View Post
The German company is Huper Optik. I know there is at least one tint shop in Las Vegas that installs Huper Optik.

It's IR that you need to block. IR is what makes your car hot. Your car's windows already block 96% or more of the UV, otherwise we'd be getting sunburns driving around in our cars in Las Vegas.

Huper Optik's clearest ceramic film has 60% VLT. That is far from clear. Llumar makes a ceramic film that has 80% VLT. That's getting close to colorless. 3M Crystalline CR90 has 86% VLT. That for all intents and purposes, is colorless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas