Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 06:08 PM

487 posts, read 747,857 times

Advertisements

Any tips regarding getting tinted windows on my car? Should I ask Carl the car man for a recommendation?

Last edited by aitchem; 05-21-2012 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: punctuation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 06:27 PM

112 posts, read 316,449 times
We have gotten our vehicles done by a place called Eco tint and it was a great experience. They are fast and they do a great job, IMO.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:35 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,010,191 times
desert tint (cost us $100 last year.. no issues whatsoever)

Old 05-22-2012, 02:39 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,866,474 times
First question you need to answer is whether you are willing to spend the extra money on a premium window film. The premium films block a lot more infrared at the same VLT (darkness) as the cheap films, but cost a lot more, and are typically installed by installers who do not compete on price. The guy who tints cars for $100 isn't going to be installing 3M Crystalline. No matter who you go with, I'd make sure that I was getting a name brand film, even if it is just a dyed film.

Somewhere there is a post I made listing the prices at Eco-Tint for a few different films.

Found it: //www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...ndow-tint.html

Llumar metalized film: $199
Llumar ceramic film: $299
3M Crystalline film: $499

If I lived here full-time I'd consider removing the dyed film on my car and installing ceramic. I had Eco-tint install Llumar ceramic film on my wife's car.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:52 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,003,206 times
I was CERTAIN that I wanted tint. Until I drove a friend's truck. Tint is great in the day. I couldn't see s*** at night, though. I had to roll the windows down so I could drive and feel comfortable that I wasn't a hazard.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I was CERTAIN that I wanted tint. Until I drove a friend's truck. Tint is great in the day. I couldn't see s*** at night, though. I had to roll the windows down so I could drive and feel comfortable that I wasn't a hazard.
You can get window tint in shades ranging from 80% VLT, which is nearly colorless and undetectable, down to 5% (Limo tint) or even lower, which has the characteristics you describe. My car has 50% VLT film on the front windows, which is light enough that I don't get hassled by police in California, and I have no problems seeing out of it at night. My SUV has 15% film on the front windows and I often roll the driver's window down for better visibility when making a left turn at night.

You can get Llumar Air 80 at Eco-Tint, which is near colorless and almost undetectable, but it has 43% TSER (total solar energy rejection). That's the same TSER as Gila's (cheap DIY film sold at hardware and discount stores) 5% VLT film. That shows you that the darkness of the tint tells you nothing about how much heat it's going to keep out.

I'm seriously considering getting Air 80 for my windshield, because my car's windshield is large and steeply raked, and passes a huge amount of IR. The 80% film is so light that the police would not be able to see that you had it unless they measured it with a VLT meter. Just looking at it you would not think there was any tint.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:55 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,437,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
First question you need to answer is whether you are willing to spend the extra money on a premium window film. The premium films block a lot more infrared at the same VLT (darkness) as the cheap films, but cost a lot more, and are typically installed by installers who do not compete on price. The guy who tints cars for $100 isn't going to be installing 3M Crystalline. No matter who you go with, I'd make sure that I was getting a name brand film, even if it is just a dyed film.

Somewhere there is a post I made listing the prices at Eco-Tint for a few different films.

Found it: //www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...ndow-tint.html

Llumar metalized film: $199
Llumar ceramic film: $299
3M Crystalline film: $499

If I lived here full-time I'd consider removing the dyed film on my car and installing ceramic. I had Eco-tint install Llumar ceramic film on my wife's car.
I bought an used car with tinted windows. How do I find out which kind of film I have?

Old 05-22-2012, 10:56 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,258,040 times
I agree that it is better to use a higher quality tint. I tinted my car for $25 a little over 3 years ago. I did 20% all the way around. Over the years, it has faded to where now it is like I have no tint. It now is about 90%.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
I bought an used car with tinted windows. How do I find out which kind of film I have?
You look in the glove box for the written warranty from the mfgr. If there isn't one, you probably have some no-name generic dyed film that the installer was able to buy cheaply. Every time I have had tint installed and gotten a lifetime warranty, I got a written warranty that documented the installation.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:27 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,315,445 times
43% is the legal limit on front windows here, 100% on the windshield (no tint), windshield tint strip is permitted (3 inches?), as dark as you want on the backs. I went with 20% front (illegal) and 5% rear. If you put 50% tint over the stock greenish tinted windows (look hard, it is hard to tell that they are tinted at all) that come on most Hondas, Toyotas, etc. the layering of the two tints will bring the level smack on 43%.

I've never had a tint ticket in Nevada, but the Utah Highway Patrol ticketed me 3 times when I had 5% on my fronts.

I paid $25 for computer cut tint on Ebay, it looks and works as well as the tint I paid $135 for at a tint shop for my last car. If you want to try to DIY, watch a few youtube videos about the application, get a friend to help, and be prepared to have to buy another set of tint when you mess your first attempt up. Cutting the tint was the hardest part of the tint application job and now that you can buy it computer cut to fit your car it really isn't too difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas