Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 03:23 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,491,548 times

Advertisements

Any business has the right to refuse entry to anyone with a dog with the exception of a person with a service dog and with papers, legitimate papers but how to tell if its legitimate is another story. A dog inside any business is a liability. A dog can destroy merchandise and worse bite someone. At my office, we have a sign barring animals in the office.

PETCO is a business dealing with animals so they allow customers to bring in their pets and Im sure they have insurance to cover for any accidents that may and can happen.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:57 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
Any business has the right to refuse entry to anyone with a dog with the exception of a person with a service dog and with papers, legitimate papers but how to tell if its legitimate is another story. A dog inside any business is a liability. A dog can destroy merchandise and worse bite someone. At my office, we have a sign barring animals in the office.

PETCO is a business dealing with animals so they allow customers to bring in their pets and Im sure they have insurance to cover for any accidents that may and can happen.
Incorrect.

From ADA

When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:56 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Incorrect.

From ADA

When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.
What's the penalty for asking?

Old 08-26-2014, 07:03 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
What's the penalty for asking?
Probably grounds for an ADA action. I understand these can get expensive particfularly as you have to mount a defense.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Incorrect.

From ADA

A business has the right to protect itself from any liability and with regards to service dogs. If a staff asked for a documentation for the service dog it has every right to do so. Keep in mind the liabilities involved and the place of business is still pvt property. No one here said staff should ask for the medical issues concerning the person but for the service dog, the owner should have at least some form of documentation. It is only a small piece of paper. I have seen it.

Show the link from ADA if you feel like you want to correct everyone!

Old 08-26-2014, 09:41 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
A business has the right to protect itself from any liability and with regards to service dogs.
No, the business does not have that right. This right was specifically and precisely removed by the ADA. Lawmakers felt that handicapped peoples' right not to be pestered about their service animals trumped the business right to control what happens on their property.

I agree with the spirit of the law as it is written. The unfortunate side effect is that every crazy cat lady in Las Vegas now brings their fake "service animal" with them everywhere. Try to do something about it at your own peril. I don't want to be sued, so I keep my mouth shut -- even when it's obvious that the dog in question is not a service animal.

And that's exactly how the service animal fakers want it.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:59 PM

The employer I work for is in the lodging/accomodation business. We do not allow large dogs in our property, if a person with disability comes in with a large service dog, we ask for documentation. The person with disability may not have it in their possession at the time of first contact but we make sure that the person still bring documentation at a later time. We do not discriminate but we also make sure we protect others residing in our community. Any animal whether a pet or service dog attacking people in our community is liability.

As someone mentioned there are fakers out there. ADA defines a service dog's function as aiding someone who is blind like Guide dog, service dog can help those with hearing impairment and those with mobility issues. Im sure there are more functions a service dog can do but these would be the basic ones.

How would the ADA defend its guidelines/laws if a legitimate service dog attack another person in a place of business? How would ADA defend its guidelines/laws if a service dog which does not have papers attack another person? Our business does not accept large dogs but because of ADA guidelines we are forced to accept them, nothing wrong with bending rules but what help will the ADA extend to business owners if the unthinkable happen?

Old 08-26-2014, 10:46 PM

One thing is for certain, if I get attacked and injured by a service dog or a large pet dog in any establishment, at home, at work or anywhere, there will be a lawsuit. First the owner of the dog and second the establishment/place on where it happened. Now if the establishment wants to sue ADA, I don't give a d@mn but for all those people with large dogs, service dogs or pets I will sue YOU if your dog harmed me in any way.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:05 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
The employer I work for is in the lodging/accomodation business. We do not allow large dogs in our property, if a person with disability comes in with a large service dog, we ask for documentation. The person with disability may not have it in their possession at the time of first contact but we make sure that the person still bring documentation at a later time. We do not discriminate but we also make sure we protect others residing in our community. Any animal whether a pet or service dog attacking people in our community is liability.

As someone mentioned there are fakers out there. ADA defines a service dog's function as aiding someone who is blind like Guide dog, service dog can help those with hearing impairment and those with mobility issues. Im sure there are more functions a service dog can do but these would be the basic ones.

How would the ADA defend its guidelines/laws if a legitimate service dog attack another person in a place of business? How would ADA defend its guidelines/laws if a service dog which does not have papers attack another person? Our business does not accept large dogs but because of ADA guidelines we are forced to accept them, nothing wrong with bending rules but what help will the ADA extend to business owners if the unthinkable happen?

I think your employer is treading on very, very thin ice. There are seizure sensing dogs for epileptics, for instance. The person with the dog doesn't always have a cane and dark sunglasses. If someone decides to make a stink about the "show me some ID" policy, you'll lose. It's cut and dry.

I agree that the fakers have made this a necessary practice. But it's not allowed.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I think your employer is treading on very, very thin ice. There are seizure sensing dogs for epileptics, for instance. The person with the dog doesn't always have a cane and dark sunglasses. If someone decides to make a stink about the "show me some ID" policy, you'll lose. It's cut and dry.

I agree that the fakers have made this a necessary practice. But it's not allowed.

It will be for the courts to decide and now about the injury caused by service dogs or pet dogs. Who answers to whom, I know the person who owns the service dog or any pet dog is not immune to lawsuit, nor is the establishment on where it happened.

I'm sure no one wants to wish ill on any party but what happens next if the unthinkable happen? There will be lawsuits front, back, left, right, center and ADA will be part of this lawsuit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas