Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 07:42 PM

18 posts, read 36,234 times

Advertisements

ok the main reason for me thinking of moving to vegas is because socal homes are just too unreasonably priced. for less than $300k, i can live in a nice neighborhood in a nice house in las vegas. that amount of money in so cal will only buy 1-2bedroom condo.

i'm a registered nurse and i'm not sure what the job marker in vegas is like. my husband, on the other hand, does not have a degree and was in the navy now works in the VA hospital. he's picky with jobs and will only take federal jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 10:21 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelle_81 View Post
ok the main reason for me thinking of moving to vegas is because socal homes are just too unreasonably priced. for less than $300k, i can live in a nice neighborhood in a nice house in las vegas. that amount of money in so cal will only buy 1-2bedroom condo.

i'm a registered nurse and i'm not sure what the job marker in vegas is like. my husband, on the other hand, does not have a degree and was in the navy now works in the VA hospital. he's picky with jobs and will only take federal jobs
Nice new VA hospital opening up and hiring at the moment. Your hubby should see if he can work a transfer.

You will be golden. Town loves medicos and certainly RN. Likely make as much as in CA with a huge reduction in living costs.

The place is very similar to inland OC or the Inland Empire. A little hotter but actually not much. You may well enjoy it.

And you can get a very nice house for $300K.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:25 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,891,633 times
People who move just for housing costs usually dont last long. Not that it cant work, just its not a truly emotional connection you will be starting off with. Now the people who live with a 90 minute commute each way can make a good change because that is buying time with the family and time to do what you want. So be sure it is a move fr a good reason.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
People who move just for housing costs usually dont last long. Not that it cant work, just its not a truly emotional connection you will be starting off with. Now the people who live with a 90 minute commute each way can make a good change because that is buying time with the family and time to do what you want. So be sure it is a move fr a good reason.
I disagree Willy. Most So CA who make the jump will like it. Same as So CA without the taxes, housing cost, cost of living and traffic. Bad is hotter and without the ocean.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:48 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,951,112 times
Quote:
People who move just for housing costs usually dont last long.
I'm going on 2+ years and counting. Price was the primary reason for coming here from SoCal... only after moving here did we realize that Las Vegas has a lot more to offer than just "the strip" and a cheaper cost of living.

We love it.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:53 PM

6 posts, read 9,459 times
I would move to Vegas and get more for your dollar. There is other things to do out there besides the strip... just have to get use to the heat is all.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:55 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,891,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I disagree Willy. Most So CA who make the jump will like it. Same as So CA without the taxes, housing cost, cost of living and traffic. Bad is hotter and without the ocean.
Same? Maybe to you it seems similar but most would find plenty different. Just about every person I knew from So Cal complained incessantly about why this or that couldnt be different. Most of them didnt last past the beginning of the housing bust, turned out only thing that kept them around was the thought they were getting rich.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Same? Maybe to you it seems similar but most would find plenty different. Just about every person I knew from So Cal complained incessantly about why this or that couldnt be different. Most of them didnt last past the beginning of the housing bust, turned out only thing that kept them around was the thought they were getting rich.
Actually Willy I am one. Came here 16 years ago on a one year trial. Not sure it was the best thing I could have done for reasons we need not go into here. But I know So CA as well as anybody after 16 years (18 total) doing 20 miles each way each day on the 405.

I probably know 50 or so people who did the same. A few go back...can't stand the heat or children call...

Actually just sold a very nice house to a guy who drives a truck four times a week to So Cal and back and who lived in the Inland Empire until 2001. He does not want to go back either.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:19 AM

579 posts, read 998,080 times
Quote:
Just about every person I knew from So Cal complained incessantly about why this or that couldnt be different.
OP, this is a friendly city that will welcome you and you will love it unless you are one of these above people that want to move here and make it California. Keep in mind the lifestyle is very different. Moving here just for a cheaper house might be a mistake unless you like the other things that come with it.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:19 AM

2 posts, read 4,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelle_81 View Post

Moving to Las Vegas just so that you can buy cheap
House is one big mistake. Ask yourself this question, why is housing in Las Vegas so cheap in the first place?????????? Believe me there is a reason why is so cheap compared to other areas of US.
Many folks do the same thing what you plan to do and then end up
stuck in Las Vegas or end up being prisoners in their own home. I know quite a few Californians who left everything behind in Las Vegas and run out of that city just to save that little sanity that they had left. Just recently one friend sold his 7/11 store on payments and moved back to LA area stating he couldn't handle Las Vegas no more and had to get out. Also many folks in California value their one bedroom condo more then golf course house in Las Vegas and would never change that.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas