Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 08:15 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,477 times

Advertisements

I'd be more than happy to take a look at what I said a few years ago. I have absolutely no problem admitting I was wrong. I will say in 2008 and 2009 I was in the Navy, just coming from Japan and going to work in Norfolk. I didn't retire until 4 months ago. I was overseas reading and watching for 3 full years before that (yes, right during the housing bubble and into the crisis)

So anything I said about the market was my opinion from outside the Real Estate business. Please send it, I would like to see the reference and in what capacity I said it.

It is actually a good point you bring up though. I am not expert, and nobody is regarding the housing situation. [mod cut]
Also, not that it matters to you, but if you want to use my military title out of sarcasim, you can use the appropriate one, and call me Master Chief. If it is for general discussion, being called a Chief is PERFECTLY FINE WITH ME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
I tried to put out some "positive" information that is of potential interest and value to anyone considering relocating to Las Vegas. [mod cut-rude, discussiing posters, not topic] Everybody knows how wrong the protagonist was but I'm going to single you out as well Chief, you posted that the RE market had levelled off in '08 and that we would see appreciation in '09. You think you're benefitting anyone? On the contrary, you're handing out BAD gouge.

[mod cut-- no "I'm leaving" posts, per the TOS]

Last edited by observer53; 06-15-2012 at 06:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 08:23 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,477 times
Back to rents.

Vons - If your wife manages 400 and she says they are going up, that is good enough information for me. I can tell where I am at they are going up.

The houses for 70,000 and below are selling quickly and you see them a month later online for rent.

The number one complaint here is for people wanting to rent when they don't live here yet. They are relocating for various reasons but most are coming because of job transfers. But if they are not here locally, they are not even considered. When they do get to a property management company, they are being told there are 4 or 5 people ahead of them to see the home, they have to be here to see it before it can be rented, etc...

Is that going on out there as well?

Old 06-14-2012, 08:48 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
First, there's nothing wrong with renting if your financial position doesn't allow you to take on a mortgage.

Second, the "Buy, Buy, Buy" was indeed instrumental and partly responsible for the foreclosure crisis... the stigma of renting as "throwing away money" or so they said.

People who weren't ready to buy homes (insufficient income), bought, simply because they were told that they were wasting money by not buying.

Last, renting isn't throwing away money, you do get something in return, which is a roof over your head.
Who said?

If you are talking about the run up to the bust you are incorrect. In those days you bought for reasons other than economic. The rent to buy question was quite completely the other way.

When you did hear "buy, buy, buy" sold it was for appreciation. Buy now or be forever locked out. At one point in the mid 70s I moved from CA to upstate NY. Hocked my soul to buy the most expensive and shiney new house I could afford. The only reason was that I intended to go back to CA in a few years and wanted sufficient equity to buy my old house back. Which is what I did. And I needed that equity.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:15 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
Back to rents.

Vons - If your wife manages 400 and she says they are going up, that is good enough information for me. I can tell where I am at they are going up.

The houses for 70,000 and below are selling quickly and you see them a month later online for rent.

The number one complaint here is for people wanting to rent when they don't live here yet. They are relocating for various reasons but most are coming because of job transfers. But if they are not here locally, they are not even considered. When they do get to a property management company, they are being told there are 4 or 5 people ahead of them to see the home, they have to be here to see it before it can be rented, etc...

Is that going on out there as well?
Most definitely they are. Out of the three apartment complexes she manages, one of them is at 99.9% occupied(188 units). That 99.9% is because of the model unit which the owner is thinking about renting out finally. Once the property hit 97%, the owner increased rents to full market value. About $200 extra a month. No more rebates, no incentives, no discounts, no waived credit check fees...nothing. Don't need it anymore when you have renters coming in from everywhere ready to rent.

On a side note...

My wife always surveys a tenant when they move out or don't renew their lease. Two main reasons have been because tenants are ready to buy a house or are moving out of the city.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alert 2012 View Post
Good for you.......I'm much more happier RENTING and living in San Diego then owning a cookie cutter stucco home in middle of desert. Even if you would give me a Las Vegas house for free I would NEVER move back and live in that city.
Las Vegas is a market for flippers, scammers and get rich quick folks. No one is buying house there for a long run. All those new homeowners are looking for quick turnaround and quick profit. Most Las Vegas residents who have lived there for a while are dreaming of escaping Las Vegas and retire somewhere else.....why would you be any different????
New transplants stay excited for a first couple of years and then when REALITY CHECK kicks in they realize that you can't live in Las Vegas for a long time.
So whats your story? I assume that something extreme happened to you while living in Vegas.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:53 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,764,096 times
Raises rent $200?

I just did a search on Craigslist for rentals, I entered "FREE" into search for in the title, it returned 1000 listings. Here's a sampling:

1st month FREE
FREE iPad or Xbox
FREE cable and internet
One month FREE
FREE water, gas and garbage
No credit check, FREE WiFi, Utils and Cable TV
Up to 2 months FREE

Old 06-14-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Raises rent $200?

I just did a search on Craigslist for rentals, I entered "FREE" into search for in the title, it returned 1000 listings. Here's a sampling:

1st month FREE
FREE iPad or Xbox
FREE cable and internet
One month FREE
FREE water, gas and garbage
No credit check, FREE WiFi, Utils and Cable TV
Up to 2 months FREE
I searched the same thing last year sometime and there was a "free" offer for a female roommate. But the poster wanted sexual favors once a week.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:50 PM

419 posts, read 907,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I searched the same thing last year sometime and there was a "free" offer for a female roommate. But the poster wanted sexual favors once a week.
Sorry, but I removed that offer as the roomate opening was 'filled'..... :-)

Old 06-15-2012, 05:54 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,576,990 times
Another benefit to renting is the ability to pick up and move to where the work is any time you need to. How many people are trapped in upside down houses in a city with high unemployment?

Old 06-15-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Another benefit to renting is the ability to pick up and move to where the work is any time you need to. How many people are trapped in upside down houses in a city with high unemployment?
Very true. But in 2005 when the economy was on cloud 9, owners benefitted from downside up houses where everyone had 2 jobs. Renters did not get a chance to pull out equity from anything.

I guess in this current economy, owners want to be renters yet in a good economy, renters want to become owners.

Sent from my iPhone while driving using Tapatalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas