Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 01:36 PM

8 posts, read 23,718 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon! I'm a 49 y/o female from new york state (still living here) who (along with my husband) has alraedy visited vegas 3 timesin the past recent years. Our minds are made up as we intend to relocate as soon as we can afford it. I'm in the nursing profession and have been for 26 years, so i dont finding a job will not be a problem as i receive daily email alerts for job openings and i must say it sounds like there is definitely a shortage there. What i need is to hear from others from the east coast who have decide to relocate. If you can tell me your experiences (good and bad) and if you have any regrets at all in your decision. How about an approximate cost for moving? I have the following items: kitchen table & 4 chairs, 2 beds,3 or 4 chests of drawers, 2 (or 3) tv's, a smal stereo, 3 end tables, computer cart (one i assembled myself) and miscellaneous items (clothes, pictures, small appliances, old items, etc) and MAYBE a loveseat.
Today i tried to get an estimated cost from a moving company but they asked to arrange to come in my aptto see how much they have to work with , which i cant have that right now as we donnot know if or when this move will take place. So i didnt get a cost.
I have a strong feeling that i posted this same question (or similar one) a few years ago but dont know where to find it.
Thank you in advance and i look forward to hearing from you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 02:34 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frustratedinbuffalo62 View Post
I have a strong feeling that i posted this same question (or similar one) a few years ago but dont know where to find it.
Here it is.

//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...ave-moved.html

Old 07-03-2012, 05:28 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,416 times
Well I have not moved yet from NYS but will be in October. Last visit I happen to chat with a gentleman who moved from Buffalo about one and 1/2 year ago. He told me his cost of living was about 1/2 of what it was in NYS. I am sure many others will disagree but just in taxes in NYS would warrent this. As far as moving cost We are going to but new when we get to LV and sell our stuff before we go. Good luck

Old 07-03-2012, 05:30 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,635 times
We moved four months ago from Southampton, NY.
No regrets.
We used Allied Van Lines for the move. No beds, no living room sets, no TV's. We had an antique dinette set and two piece hutch, many tools and workbenches, a motorcycle, a library card catalog a freezer, and refrigerator. Clothing, kichen goods and all household odds and ends. Cost was $5000 and we had the van drivers cell number. The same guy who packed the truck unpacked it once he gotto Vegas. We drove (6 hours/day each) and made it here in 4 days. Furniture and truck was here the very next day. No problems.
I have heard horror stories about PODS, where you pay in NY and they want more $ in NV; basically hold your stuff hostage.
I sold off much of my stuff in NY to reduce packing material and weight, and bought it new in LV when I arrived. Cost of living is about half.

Good luck to you...if you have any specific questions for me, PM me.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:23 PM

419 posts, read 907,259 times
I have moved quite a few times in my life and just had a thought...based on the relatively few items you listed above, have you ever considered selling them and just buying new stuff when you get to LV? You could ship or transport in your car(s) personal irreplaceable things but I just found many times it wasn't worth the mover's costs for standard furniture items. ...maybe I like to buy new things also..:-)

Old 07-03-2012, 08:30 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
At least 1/3rd of the people in Las Vegas are from the east coast, including me. But I've been here since the 60's. It used to be that in six months in Las Vegas you'd be hooked and never want to leave; but now with the growth and everything, it's probably closer to a year, after which you wouldn't want to live anywhere east of the Rocky Mountains.

Can't help you on cost of moving, but when we moved here we had a garage sale and got rid of everything we didn't need, and rented a U-Haul trailer for the rest. Then we rented furnished apts for the first few years.

Moved to Albuquerque in 88 and came back in 90, but our moves were paid for. Seems like around $6,000 each way for that but it's been a long time.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:49 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,639,977 times
MEMEMEMEM!! Brooklyn NY to Las Vegas

(sorry) I went with a "door2door" moving pod, I have 5 days to load it (they drop the pod in front of you house, you load it, you lock it (with your own lock) they pick it up, they ship it to Las Vegas - and deliver it.
Only 'problem' is you have 2 hours to unpack it, they have no way to drop it off at your location.

cost $2000

Jonathan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas