Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 05:47 AM

200 posts, read 271,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
From a year ago...

Looking for a 100% wireless Dolby 5.1 or 7.1 solution - AVS Forum

The basic conclusion was that it does not work. The front speakers being the problem.
OK, thanks. Bad news but I guess I can work around it. My current home theater is in the basement and the room was unfinished so I could easily string cable before putting up drywall. I did a projector and 120 inch screen and 5.1 sound, some good seats, but not a lot of other stuff.

For the new place, I guess I'll have the builder put in their very expensive wiring package. HDMI jack and electrical outlet in the ceiling, RCA jacks in the four corners and front/center for speakers and another jack somewhere for the sub. Plus, maybe I'll look at the butt kickers for the theater seats and have a sub wire for the first row of seats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 05:57 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
Plenty of AV installers in town that will handle the job. If your not afraid of crawlspaces. Do the job yourself, its not hard to do. I would not use an existing pre-wired setup. Its been my experience that most of the pre-wiring speaker setups in new homes are not adequate. They use 22/24 gauge speaker wire when 16/14 gauge wire is needed for the length of the speaker wire run.
Don't need that. The installers run voltage through the wires that are coiled over the ceiling drywall (using the wall junction box and a tone generator). And then they use a meter to find the coils. I paid some dude a C-note to locate the six speakers in our family room. We have six more upstairs, but I never plan on hooking them up. So there they stay.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:01 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,724,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Don't need that. The installers run voltage through the wires that are coiled over the ceiling drywall, and then just use a meter to find them. I paid some dude a C-note to locate the six speakers in our family room. We have six more upstairs, but I never plan on hooking them up. So there they stay.
Depends on the install. Seen plenty of 24 gauge wire strung out in a new house that was pre wired for surround sound.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:16 PM

645 posts, read 707,297 times
went to bose factory store but they didn't have the models I want for demo, anyone know what stores got and demo those models? 301,901, acoustimass 6 series v. need to listen to them before getting them! had 301 15 years ago it was great, wonder if it's any better

Old 10-05-2015, 08:44 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
Do yourself a huge favor and avoid Boss like the plague. Overpriced undetperforming garbage.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:12 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,808,496 times
for the budget conscious, monoprice sells good 5.1 speakers for under $200 on sale, including a powered sub

you will need to pair that with an amp, preferably something with hdmi 2.0 and hdcp 2.2 (for 4k and copy protection "future-proofing"), these normally cost a lot, but i seen them under $200 on sale

yeah, and as mentioned above, use 16 gauge wire or 14 for longer runs

the best budget projector is a benq 1070 ht (1080p), which is also under $700 on sale

if you have the money to spend, look into dolby atmos setups and oled tvs

Old 10-05-2015, 10:37 AM

645 posts, read 707,297 times
hmm monoprice I have heard about them, but I need to listen to them first! any stores in vegas that got them?

Old 10-05-2015, 11:51 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Do yourself a huge favor and avoid Boss like the plague. Overpriced undetperforming garbage.
Unless you can spend $50k or more for a custom theater install, I think your best bet is to scour Craigslist ads for southern California, and Audiogon classifieds, and find something lightly used by some rich person who replaces his equipment every other year. That's how I put together the system in our vacation home here. Made a day trip out to LA and bought the equipment off a retiree who was moving into a condo in Marina Del Rey, where he wouldn't be able to really utilize his system.

Really slim pickings here for someone trying to put together a system in the $5k-$20k range.

Those companies that offer in-home auditions are also popular in areas where dealers are scarce.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:55 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,724,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVguy View Post
hmm monoprice I have heard about them, but I need to listen to them first! any stores in vegas that got them?
No it mail order only through them or you can buy some of the stuff through Amazon. They don't put out the best quality stuff but most of it gets the job done at a very competitive price. Bose, better sound through marketing. I have yet to meet anybody who is into audio or home theater that takes Bose products seriously. Bose seems to prey on the impulse purchaser that does not do any research before the purchase.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:48 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
While not a bad idea (my main speakers are $3K B&Ws I got lightly used for $1K), most people don't need to go that high end. Five identical decent but not very expensive bookshelf speakers plus a good sub will do the job nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Unless you can spend $50k or more for a custom theater install, I think your best bet is to scour Craigslist ads for southern California, and Audiogon classifieds, and find something lightly used by some rich person who replaces his equipment every other year. That's how I put together the system in our vacation home here. Made a day trip out to LA and bought the equipment off a retiree who was moving into a condo in Marina Del Rey, where he wouldn't be able to really utilize his system.

Really slim pickings here for someone trying to put together a system in the $5k-$20k range.

Those companies that offer in-home auditions are also popular in areas where dealers are scarce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas