Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 09:04 PM

487 posts, read 746,822 times

Advertisements

Is there a good time of the year to spray my spider killer around the outside of my house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 09:13 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,535,283 times
Bestine.

Guaranteed to kill ANY exo-skeleton on contact... including arachnids. First he'll get intoxicated, then all the fluids in his body will evaporate into the air and he will be left a dried husk.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:02 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
Bestine.

Guaranteed to kill ANY exo-skeleton on contact... including arachnids. First he'll get intoxicated, then all the fluids in his body will evaporate into the air and he will be left a dried husk.
Not to mention he will be highly flammable and burn your house down.

You pretty much have to spray spiders directly because they don't drag their bodies through bug poison like other insects; they just tip toe over it. So save your money on poisons. Or just squash them. The only spiders you need to worry about are black widows. They hang out in dark places during they day, so go out at night with a flashlight and look for them stringing messy webs out from bushes and walls near their hiding places; then if you see one whack it. They are particularly found along block walls as you walk down the sidewalk. They string a temporary web out about a foot, and usually about a foot off the ground. When walking at night in Las Vegas, stay a couple of feet away from block walls. You will seldom find a black widow in your house. You will probably find them in your garage, usually near openings in the doors where their food supply gets in.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:04 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
I'd never kill a spider. I like spiders a lot. Spiders and me are on the same team -- the "Kill all the roaches and crickets" team. If I find one inside the house, I'll show them to the door. That's the extent of it. Poke them with something a few times and they'll ball up and play dead. Then whisk them into a glass, and toss them outside so they can kill roaches and crickets.

Works for me.

I did have one girl widow who had a ****-on for my garage. I'd show her to the door, and she'd run as fast as she could back towards the garage. I finally had to drop her off some distance away from the house.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:14 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
Spiders =insect control.

I have a pretty decent sized spider's web in the corner of my backyard behind the vegetable garden. There are probably over 100 little insect carcasses in it.

He/she eats good.

Sent from cell...

Old 12-06-2012, 02:44 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
I don't like Black Widows, and I don't like spiders in the house, except you can't win that war. They are sometimes so small you don't know they are there. Probably everyone has had spiders crawl on them in bed and maybe had one take a bite. (They don't actually bite, they give their food a shot of an enzyme which predigests it, then they suck it up through their straw.) They also don't usually crawl into your house. They are born there, usually up high, and they rappel down from the ceiling. You'll see big scary looking wolf spiders usually on the ground outside. They don't use webs to catch food, they chase it down. They only look scary though, and like tarantulas, they are not harmful to humans. The poison you spray does more harm to you than the spiders do, and it doesn't really kill spiders anyway, no matter what the exterminators tell you.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:01 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
spiders kill the flies

Birds kill the spiders

Cats kill the birds

Dogs kill the cats

etc.etc.etc.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:21 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
I usually only see black widows in the warmer months when their favorite food (the field roaches) are on the march. My garden and garage tend to become a haven for them then.

I don't stick my hands into places I can't see, including outdoor plants, unless I have gloves on because of the potential for startling a widow.

I find wolf spiders to be rather cute. They have long eyelashes. I've never seen one on my property, but I did at my MIL's.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:11 PM

236 posts, read 405,587 times
Some day I will learn NOT to click on these threads

Old 12-06-2012, 05:19 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
Bestine.

Yeah, and then it seeps into the groundwater and ends up the wash, and later Lake Mead where our drinking water comes from.

Get a shoe, or a rolled up newspaper, fer cryin' out loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas