Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 11:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,905 times

Advertisements

I moved from out of state into Horizon Ridge Villas (also seems to go by the name Horizon Ridge Park) about 5 months ago. I like the Anthem area but the apartment has been pretty bad and I would like to move next month when my lease is up. Would anyone be able to recommend a nice apartment complex in the area for 1 bedroom apartments that have a garage? The garage doesn't have to be attached, but it would be good if it is.

I've been so busy I really haven't gotten the chance to know anyone here yet, but I get the impression that apartments in the Las Vegas/Henderson areas are just kind of viewed as a place for people to live who can't afford a house. Are there any places in the area that have 1 bedroom apartments that are actually considered desirable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 11:38 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,880,321 times
How bad can it be? Nothing is over 10 years old up that way and your neighbors are probably going to be some of the best you'll find for apartments since its probably impossible to commute without a car up there.

You impression of apartments is sort of correct, but most people live in them at least for awhile when they arrive in Vegas. Few people start out thinking they will live in an apartment for more than 1 or 2 years, but plenty of people end up there much longer.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:50 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,543,907 times
Having problems with the ghetto/Section 8 element?

Old 03-22-2013, 12:32 AM

In 5 months at Horizon Ridge Villas these are the primary things that aren't good,

-thin walls (can hear neighbor's tv/conversations)
-lots of barking dogs
-poor construction, visible gaps around doors/windows, daylight comes through, guessing it will cost a fortune to cool in summer
-have needed repairs of fridge, dishwasher, plumbing and electric
-not gated, no security, have actually seen people drive in, climb inside the dumpsters and go through trash taking things out
-at $1100 a month for an upstairs 1 BR it's overpriced

After living in Chicago and paying terrible Chicago apartment prices, I would actually consider paying a little more here than $1100 a month to get a 1 BR apartment I liked, but hopefully I can find something for less.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:33 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,880,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj7x View Post
In 5 months at Horizon Ridge Villas these are the primary things that aren't good,

-thin walls (can hear neighbor's tv/conversations)
-lots of barking dogs
-poor construction, visible gaps around doors/windows, daylight comes through, guessing it will cost a fortune to cool in summer
-have needed repairs of fridge, dishwasher, plumbing and electric
-not gated, no security, have actually seen people drive in, climb inside the dumpsters and go through trash taking things out
-at $1100 a month for an upstairs 1 BR it's overpriced

After living in Chicago and paying terrible Chicago apartment prices, I would actually consider paying a little more here than $1100 a month to get a 1 BR apartment I liked, but hopefully I can find something for less.
Reasonable complaints, but I think its going to be what you find in the majority of apartments. Most gated apartment communities are not exactly bulletproof to get in. Thin walls are just a fact of life in a town where nothing but frame buildings with drywall are found. As for build quality, it probably is common in the newer buildings as well-constructed buildings are rare for anything built after 1995 it seems.

I'd say $1100 is way too much to pay for a 1BR Vegas apartment. Hard to imagine ever feeling like you are getting a good deal when that amount can get you a smaller house or a nice condo with probably better neighbors.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:32 AM

188 posts, read 358,046 times
For $1100 a month you could eaisly be in a 3 bedroom single family house in a nice area. Why live in an apt if you could afford a private house.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:14 PM

15,828 posts, read 14,468,374 times
Not everyone wants or needs a SF house. The flip side is, he could save money by renting a condo. There are condos along Eastern in Henderson that rent for $750ish a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieRose View Post
For $1100 a month you could eaisly be in a 3 bedroom single family house in a nice area. Why live in an apt if you could afford a private house.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:39 PM

135 posts, read 270,150 times
Are you specifically looking to live in an apartment? I just ask because we are renting in a gated GVR neighborhood patio home, 2bd with den (basically a 3rd bd w/o closet) for $1,195.00 - just a hair under 1300 sf. 2 car garage. Recently found out a few houses down, a larger model than ours just rented for $1,150. It just seems like you are paying an awful lot to be in an apartment.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:12 PM

Thanks for all the replies! Sounds like I shouldn't limit the search to just apartments. Here were my initial thoughts on going with an apt, but I'm still learning how things work here and not sure if these are valid concerns.

-have heard in some cities house renters who pay their rent can get evicted when the owners don't keep up with their payments
-not sure if renting a house would mean buying appliances or yard upkeep
-live alone, not sure if an empty house would be as safe if I'm out of town for a week or so
-wasn't sure if utilities on a house could get really expensive, apartment has been around $200 total a month for water/trash/gas/electric
-might just be here 1-2 years

Is there a best way here to go about finding small, but nice/safe maybe 2 BR rental house in this area? Budget would be about $1400-$1500 a month max for rent plus utilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: