Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 07:28 PM

743 posts, read 968,878 times

Advertisements

Called them a million times, spoke to supervisors, they don't like me "circumventing" their selling limits...and said in a generic email they don't like my business model...(high volume and free shipping on $6-$7 and no tracking..which is not a necessity in their user agreement). I cut costs by shipping these items in a small white envelope. Had 2950 positive feedback and 1 negative the month I was suspended...just last month. The account itself had 10,000 rating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 07:33 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,788,793 times
Yeah, they don't like that I imagine. Not enough money for them. They have gotten progressively worse over the years, I just can't afford another venue. Tried brick & mortar, but eBay still has less overhead even with their fees and crappy customer service. Kind of stuck there.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:22 PM

Yes I agree, worldwide foot traffic, they just don't like anyone becoming "the walmart" of any certain product since that makes it harder for a new guy to enter, so they'll kick you off on a whim for no reason. Can anyone show me a seller making a million a year on there? Not anymore, they've kicked them all out, used to be many. I'm surprised someone hasn't had their life destroyed by them and gone postal (ebay stuck them with $200k in legit product, got in debt, lost their house, etc.)

Old 04-02-2013, 08:35 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,075,236 times
The easiest way to give yourself a second outbound IP is use a SSH tunnel or VPN service. Lots of them available for around $10/month. They are commonly used to circumvent access restrictions at company firewalls, public places, or even countries like China.

I use an SSH tunnel. I run putty (a SSH client) on my local machine and tell Firefox to use the putty software as a SOCK proxy. Firefox talks to putty which encrypts all the traffic and sends it to the SSH tunnel service. The SSH tunnel service then makes the final outbound request to whatever website. Thus all your traffic looks like it is coming from the SSH service (it has their remote IP address). Explained out it sounds a lot more complex than it actually is. It's fairly simple to setup. In my config, I have Firefox only pointing at the SSH tunnel, IE continues to run through my regular connection.

https://www.tunnelr.com/

Old 04-02-2013, 08:56 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,788,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardogfsu View Post
Yes I agree, worldwide foot traffic, they just don't like anyone becoming "the walmart" of any certain product since that makes it harder for a new guy to enter, so they'll kick you off on a whim for no reason. Can anyone show me a seller making a million a year on there? Not anymore, they've kicked them all out, used to be many. I'm surprised someone hasn't had their life destroyed by them and gone postal (ebay stuck them with $200k in legit product, got in debt, lost their house, etc.)
We're in the high 5-figures, but we have had MANY friends who were well into the six-figures transition to Amazon over the past few years. One right over in Bakersfield who is well over a million a year selling new shoes and clothing. Just not on the 'bay anymore. I feel for ya bro.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:33 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,838,313 times
If the data is not too much, you can use your smart phone as a hot spot. I do this when I'm in Vegas. Even if it's not the final answer for your needs, it can work until you decide.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:38 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,365,413 times
I don't know if it's what you want, but my wife had a second line on a separate modem from Cox for her business, and it was pretty cheap since we already had the primary service from Cox.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:08 AM

Thanks buzz, that might be what i'm looking for, I'll call them tomorrow...I know with all that IP stuff I'll mess up and get spiked.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:52 AM

646 posts, read 1,157,294 times
aardogfsu, just make sure they're going to give you a "separate IP address". Then test both at whatismyipaddress.com.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:07 AM

15,864 posts, read 14,491,391 times
How are you getting internet now, a conventional consumer account with the cable company / telco? Do you have a fixed IP? If you're not directly hosting anything, maybe they can make you dynamic IP. If you're fixed, they can also probably provide you with other IPs. I'd give them a call, this might not be a big deal with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: