Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 03:37 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,491,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaseaglesfan1 View Post
Actually there is but they are the older EXPENSIVE neighborhoods in town. Talking about the area around Alta/Charleston/Rancho area part. My ex-wife's parents have a house out there with tennis court, basketball court, pool, spa, you name it. That area has no HOA fee but you must be a millionaire to live there.
There are many custom built homes on large lots in Spring Valley. Homes in the area between Jones and Durango, Sahara and Desert Inn are beautiful and well kept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 04:07 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,416 times
Raiderman what winter we had about 3 weeks of cool weather like the end of October weather in the NE. Thanksgiving we sat outside on the patio in the evening it was like 65 degrees we could have Barbequed during the day also. I think only a few times it went below freezing in Jan and Feb.and that was early morn temps between 4:00AM to 6:00AM. The wind blows but nothing like the wind chill factors the NE gets. To answer your question I do not know what a shovel is anymore nor having to start the car to warm up to go anywhere or scrape the windshield. Driving is a pleasure also no more 1 to 2 hour drives on I-93 to go 15 miles. I was out here last May and went to 2 of the Las Vegas Wranglers playoff games ( Yes! they have a pro hockey team here) it was between 95 and 100 each day funny seeing folks going to a Hockey game in Hockey Jerseys shorts and sandals you don't see that back east. I also got to meet many folks who moved here from parts of Canada and the mid and upper states and of course the back Easterners who need their Hockey fix. Get use to seeing the weather man say over and over Sunny and Dry lol.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:45 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,639,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco6163 View Post
As for the things I wished I knew before moving to LV:

I wish I knew how magnificent my neighbors were going to be;

I wish I knew how much I was going to enjoy the weather year-round;

I wish I knew how magnificent and inspiring it was going to be to look around me and see the most beautiful sky and mountain views that any city can provide in 360 degree views;

I wish I knew how much fun you can have without ever going to the tourist spots;

I wish I knew it was going to feel so safe and serene every day and night as I take my dog for walks around the perfectly manicured blocks lined by the well-maintained and guarded homes;

I wish I knew how much fun it was going to be to enjoy swimming in our backyard pool and dipping in the hot tub;

I wish I knew how much I like being able to go to the Strip when ever I please, even if I don't often desire to do so;

I wish I knew how much I would enjoy driving on roads that are wide and flat and without the obstacle course of potholes that routinely appear in the NE and Midwest as winter ends;

I wish I knew how amazingly friendly most of the people working in retail or otherwise providing services are here in LV;

I wish I knew how much I was going to love the feeling of a day spent for the first time in a world-class spa with my wife and then choosing a new one to have that experience over and over and over;

I wish I knew how much fun it would be to spend a holiday like Thanksgiving by hiking through Red Rock Canyon instead of bloating myself at a dinner table;

I wish I knew how much I was going to enjoy an occasional trip to the Smith Center for cultural events;

I wish I knew that this metropolitan area with about 2 million residents can have the best of a small town community feel to it;

I wish I knew how efficient the government service offices like the DMV, the Family Court, and the fingerprinting bureau were going to be as I took care of things that a new resident to the State has to deal with;

I wish I knew how to describe all of the things that happily surprised me even though I moved here with the greatest excitement and anticipation after having been a tourist and visitor for more than 20 years.

LV is not the perfect place for everyone. It's not even a good place for a lot of folks. But when the plusses and minuses are weighed, it is pretty darn fantastic.

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 POINTS!!!!!!!

Jonathan

Old 04-09-2013, 02:34 PM

47 posts, read 230,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Is there a such thing as a well kept community in this town that does not have an HOA?

anyway...

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...need-find.html

The OP really is looking for Nirvana.
Nothing wrong with that. But, alas, it doesn't exist in the United States and what a shame that is.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:49 PM

347 posts, read 542,607 times
It's all relative isn't it? If you come from Compton/Southside Chicago/ NY Bourough this place is nice and quiet. If you come from Beverly Hills, Manhattan or somewhere nice, this place is missing a lot except for droopy drooly types and hooded criminals.
It's hot here in the summer for me but I'm not from AZ nor am I here from AK.
It's cheaper here than Cali and a lot less crowded. I don't have to drive as defensively here as I did in cali. I do have to look out for trucks running red and less educated people not paying attention.
I miss trees and greenery, don't miss having to garden with desert landscaping.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:52 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Is there a such thing as a well kept community in this town that does not have an HOA?

anyway...

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...need-find.html

The OP really is looking for Nirvana.
I don't think Nirvana has existed since Kurt Cobain died.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:54 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
AK to LV. Now there's some weather shock for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreRJ View Post
It's all relative isn't it? If you come from Compton/Southside Chicago/ NY Bourough this place is nice and quiet. If you come from Beverly Hills, Manhattan or somewhere nice, this place is missing a lot except for droopy drooly types and hooded criminals.
It's hot here in the summer for me but I'm not from AZ nor am I here from AK.
It's cheaper here than Cali and a lot less crowded. I don't have to drive as defensively here as I did in cali. I do have to look out for trucks running red and less educated people not paying attention.
I miss trees and greenery, don't miss having to garden with desert landscaping.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:18 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Is your house going to be for rent on June 1st? I'm moving from the NE coast to Henderson because I can't stand it here. I'll swap with you! 5 miles from the ocean.. 1600 sq.ft. condo for $1400/mo. Electricity ($150-$200/mo for heat 9 months out of the year and a/c for 3 months). Gas just came down to $3.69/gallon, car insurance is around $2000/year, Sales tax of 7%, income tax of somewhere around 5-6% I think? It's like MECCA! (but seriously, I need a place for June 1st. If yours is 2000 sq.ft. or more, I'll switch with ya)
Ryan, no wonder you're so unhappy with RI, you could have a house in RI with the same sq ft for what you pay, with a garage and a nice yard.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:07 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Ryan, no wonder you're so unhappy with RI, you could have a house in RI with the same sq ft for what you pay, with a garage and a nice yard.
I sold my house in RI and got the condo (with a garage and yard).. it's not the housing that is motivating my move, it's the weather, Linda.. tired of the cold and dark, that's all.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:45 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
I wished I knew there were Zombies living under the freeways...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas