Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 01:02 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz420 View Post
I'm new to the whole evaporative cooler thing --

Does anyone have a recommendation for brand/model? It's just my wife and I, and we'd never be cooling a space bigger than 15x15

Thanks
Just remember, evaporative cooling works by (surprise, surprise) evaporation. Humid air from the swamp cooler mingles with dry air and physics takes over (endothermic reaction). The system needs a CONSTANT SUPPLY of dry air from outside. That means fans, open windows, and venting if possible. You cannot shut the house tight as a drum, blow moist air inside and expect anything other than a sauna. These systems need to be thought out -- where is my dry air going to come from? (An open window on the north side of the house is the best bet, but prevailing winds from the south and west might make that a non option). Where will the moist air exhaust? Again, open window and fans. The ideal situation for Las Vegas is the swamp cooler blowing in from the east, with a south-north airflow of dry air. That will work best with our prevailing winds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
how do you cool the garage? what kind of fan?
Same gable exhaust fan I have in my attic. Don't worry about where the air will come from in the garage. The garage door is a giant sieve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 01:13 AM

207 posts, read 508,718 times
Or you could just go to the mall for free cold air. And flirt with pretty girls too.

LOL.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:35 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,676,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Same gable exhaust fan I have in my attic. Don't worry about where the air will come from in the garage. The garage door is a giant sieve.
We use swamp coolers too, but don't seem to get the results you do. I don't know how you keep your bills so low with the size of house you have.

My husband was at someone's house who had a swamp cooler in his garage that circulated air up through the attic. My husband said the house was very cool as a result. I'm wondering if that is better than gable fan?? We set our one swamp cooler up in the garage and it goes up into the attic and through the house (we have a small house, comparatively). We want to get a second swamp cooler that is just for the living areas, but we may have a move coming up and don't want to make that investment if the house is going to be sold or rented out.

I think the thing that kills us on electric is the pool pump.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:54 PM

901 posts, read 1,899,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I think the thing that kills us on electric is the pool pump.
Do you have a single speed pump? If so, consider getting a variable speed pump when it's time to replace it. You'll save big bucks in the long run plus it's very quiet too.

Variable speed pool pump efficiency test Pool Technicians - YouTube

Old 05-12-2013, 01:44 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
We use swamp coolers too, but don't seem to get the results you do. I don't know how you keep your bills so low with the size of house you have.
1) No pool.

2) We've spent roughly $10K on making our house unusually energy efficient. All that stuff I listed earlier? We did all of that. We really do have LEDs in all the can lights. There really is a west-facing pergola with solar shades. There really are 90% UV blocking solar screens in every window. We really do have sheets of insulation in all our windows (except when we have guests). I really do all my cooking outside during the summer.

That's how we did it. If you want to replicate our results, start with the solar screens and the gable fan, and then map out the airflow for your swamp cooler or two. Seriously, on the first hot day of the year, go around to all the windows in your house from 10am to 6pm and put your hand on the glass. Any window that is hot to the touch is a problem area. (Basically all the south and west-facing windows are problem areas.)

This year, I'm trying to think of a way to improve the efficiency of our swamp coolers to try to get an extra five degrees out of them. I should be able to knock the temp down by 25f but I'm only getting 20f.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:01 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
Do you have a single speed pump? If so, consider getting a variable speed pump when it's time to replace it. You'll save big bucks in the long run plus it's very quiet too.

Variable speed pool pump efficiency test Pool Technicians - YouTube
the savings is massive when you compare the single speed pump to the variable..... i swapped mine out for the variable speed even though there were no mechanical issues with the single speed..... paid about a grand for the variable.. sold the single speed pentair on cl for $300.... so about $700 for me which was recouped easily in less than a year.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:21 PM

901 posts, read 1,899,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
the savings is massive when you compare the single speed pump to the variable..... i swapped mine out for the variable speed even though there were no mechanical issues with the single speed..... paid about a grand for the variable.. sold the single speed pentair on cl for $300.... so about $700 for me which was recouped easily in less than a year.
NVEnergy also offers a $200 instant rebate.

https://www.nvenergy.com/home/saveen.../poolpumps.cfm

Old 05-12-2013, 04:12 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,421,302 times
I installed a 5KWh solar system on my high desert California home 2 years ago and since then my avg bill from so cal edison has been $5.40 per month. Add in my $40.06 monthly payment for the panels and I pay $45.46 per month or $545.52 per year. That used to be my August bill alone.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:29 PM

629 posts, read 1,175,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
I installed a 5KWh solar system on my high desert California home 2 years ago and since then my avg bill from so cal edison has been $5.40 per month. Add in my $40.06 monthly payment for the panels and I pay $45.46 per month or $545.52 per year. That used to be my August bill alone.
Wow, congratulations, that's amazing! I guess you got one of those lease deals like Solar City? Amazing that they don't operate in Nevada yet.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:36 PM

207 posts, read 508,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz420 View Post
Wow, congratulations, that's amazing! I guess you got one of those lease deals like Solar City? Amazing that they don't operate in Nevada yet.
I find it odd that SolarCity hasn't gotten into Nevada. There must be some kind of regulatory hurdle as it would be a natural fit. They are already in the surrounding states.

Last edited by ilovegarlic; 05-12-2013 at 04:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: