Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 08:22 AM

419 posts, read 907,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Arics,

Just make sure you have an advocate with you when you are in any hospital. Medical people tend to be dedicated, in my experience, but patients with a loved one nearby fare the best.

This is very important advice - never go alone.

Last edited by observer53; 05-13-2013 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: conformed quoted post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 08:37 AM

762 posts, read 1,562,577 times
Just wishing you the best!!! I am one of 4 girls, the only one without heart problems, so if you need help after the surgery let me know. I make a good nurse xoxo

Old 05-13-2013, 09:14 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Since you can't go out of state, one thing to do is absolutely positively insist the everyone down to the janitor (especially the janitor) sanitize his/her hands prior to entering your recovery room. Have a family member print up signs on computer paper & have them tape them to the door to your room.

See How American Health Care Killed My Father - David Goldhill - The Atlantic

Old 05-13-2013, 11:05 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Arics,

Just make sure you have an advocate with you when you are in any hospital. Medical people tend to be dedicated, in my experience, but patients with a loved one nearby fare the best.
[mod cut-orphaned response to deleted portion of quote]

B.O.T. many years ago [early 60's] my mother was among the VERY First Mitral Valve Transplants.....she had her transplant in Oct of 63....she lived 42 days....longer then ANY other Mitral Valve Transplant......

Fast forward to 2003....I began to have my first dealings with a Cardiologist....Sean Janzer....[now relocated to his home town of Philadelphia.....In conversation about medical history.....it turned out that 3 months after my mother died, HIS mother had the exact same surgery.....I had the pleasure of meeting his mother about a month later.....

Point is ...JANZER was a Las Vegas Dr and one of the finest ive ever met. and the advancements in medical treatment move at warp speed.....

Last edited by observer53; 05-13-2013 at 12:09 PM..

Old 05-13-2013, 11:57 AM

174 posts, read 970,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Has anyone here had any experience with Dr. Juan Marin or Dr. Donohue for open heart surgery? From what I have been told and have read, they are excellent. I am faced with surgery in the next 60 days. I am their youngest patient at 44. My only fear is the hospital, Desert Springs, but this is the only location he performs surgery at.
Are You talking about Dr. Nancy Donohue?

Old 05-13-2013, 12:10 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadtam View Post
I had triple bypass about 8 years ago.
My advice:
  1. When in ICU and they ask you if you want Morphine, say (or nod your head)YES.
  2. Have your doctor get former patient to talk to you about his experience. Will help you understand what is going on.

In most cases these days, you have a button that allows you to request morphine. Medical research has found that people get LESS morphine when the administer it themselves (through the IV).

Most cardiac units have volunteers (usually bypass patients) who talk to patients recovering from bypass surgery and the like. I would agree that they are very helpful, especially for the younger patients.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:17 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
I too have had a triple bypass. Mine is over 20 years old now and still going strong.

I have had a long relationship with my cardiologist and have asked him for his recommendation on Hospital and surgeon. I will pass them on to Airics privately if he comes through.

I don't get anything from morphine, Last time in major surgery I rode the button for all its worth for an hour...nothing...the nurse verified it was working.

All the pain I had was from the sternum. Do not watch anything funny for the first two weeks.

The only really bad thing i found was being awakened while still intubated. I did not expect it and I was terror stricken. Only lasted a few seconds as they were only checking I was still in residence...then they put me back out.

Other stuff is standard. Start bitching immediately to get out of the hospital. Only bad things happen in Hospitals so get the heck out of there as quick as possible. Cardiac rehab is a good deal. Get you back functioning without killing you.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:43 PM

526 posts, read 832,866 times
One time when I was walking around with my IV Stand, I walked to a day room on other side of floor. It was out of range for the wireless life sign monitoring system and set off the alarms. Everyone was running around trying to find out where the dead guy was
Oh yeah, DON'T SNEEZE. IT HURTS. GET YOUR "HEART" PILLOW AND HANG ON FOR DEAR LIFE

Old 05-13-2013, 02:45 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
All the pain I had was from the sternum. Do not watch anything funny for the first two weeks.

Other stuff is standard. Start bitching immediately to get out of the hospital. Only bad things happen in Hospitals so get the heck out of there as quick as possible. Cardiac rehab is a good deal. Get you back functioning without killing you.

They gave us a special pillow to hold tightly against the chest in case of a sneeze or cough. Sneezes were painful.

You get out of the hospital much quicker if you master the breathing practice (even though it hurts) and you fill your system with fruits, vegetables, and whole grains to get the digestive systems flowing.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:51 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Brooklynite View Post
Are You talking about Dr. Nancy Donohue?
yes dr nancy donohue and dr juan martin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas