Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 06:12 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,153,315 times

Advertisements

A car port would be fine for us.
So 175 instead of 150. No problem what is 25k among friends

I know that heat is not a big deal there I just figured it would offset the cost of cooling in the summer.

We have to do both here ....

We also do not mind getting our hands dirty and doing some remodeling ourselves. IF we can get a house that has not been flipped.

We have about 18 months or so before we will be comming to the valley.
We plan to rent a while and search for our nex home with our feet onthe ground as opposed to tryign to choose a house from here .

Send me your contact info we plan to come out again in Sept.

It appears to me that just like Mpls here in MN, there are nice spots, and crappy spots in a LOT of the cities in the vegas valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 05:50 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojester View Post
A car port would be fine for us.
So 175 instead of 150. No problem what is 25k among friends

I know that heat is not a big deal there I just figured it would offset the cost of cooling in the summer.

We have to do both here ....

We also do not mind getting our hands dirty and doing some remodeling ourselves. IF we can get a house that has not been flipped.

We have about 18 months or so before we will be comming to the valley.
We plan to rent a while and search for our nex home with our feet onthe ground as opposed to tryign to choose a house from here .

Send me your contact info we plan to come out again in Sept.

It appears to me that just like Mpls here in MN, there are nice spots, and crappy spots in a LOT of the cities in the vegas valley.
The real estate market here maybe totally different (either up or down) in 18 months !!

Old 07-03-2013, 01:43 AM

32 posts, read 37,688 times
True. There's probably not anything on the market right now that will be available then. I know you're not opposed to a carport, but chances are if the house doesn't have a garage, it's probably not in an area you want to live in. Anything older than 20 years here, and you have to be careful. Personally, I would never buy property here, unless I could afford to move to one of the master-planned communities. Anything less than that and you're likely going to be wanting out before you even own. Cooling here is not cheap and the power company keeps jacking up the rates. I don't know a lot of people under $300-$400/month in the summer. Area is important and by law a real estate agents can't give you too much negative information about a particular area in order to warn you about your probability of crime or safety. The entire town is hit or miss for good neighborhoods. It's not like there's a straight line where there's one bad area, everything's mixed up. Very touchy. Your best bet, if you can afford it, might be to rent for a few months to get to know the areas you'd be happy to live in. Then look to buy, once you feel confident. Maybe make some friends that can give you honest opinions. Get statistics from the police departments or Alert ID. I've lived here for over 30 years accumulative I still managed to rent in areas I thought would be alright and ended up being too close to the bad areas for my liking. Didn't realize until after moving in what areas I had to drive through to get in and out of my area. Or the nearest convenience store is swarmed with police because of disturbances all night long.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:56 AM

Default Great info

We are just gathering intel right now

We happen to like the older homes and I have seen how crappy some home construction from the 80s can be . At least here in MN.

We expect to rent for about 6 months while we find a home to retire in .
I would ike to find a nice place with a great little oasis out back .
Maybe with pink countertops and orange shag so we can renovate ourselves .
May as well dream big .

I am aware the market may do anything, but thanks a lot for the warning.

We are not lookign so much as an investment but as a way to lock up cheap overhead.

The big question is can a coupel live on that in Vegas?

Old 07-05-2013, 12:07 PM

720 posts, read 766,203 times
Is the $2500 after taxes? If so, then Robojester, the answer is yes you can. The energy bills in the summer can make you squeamish, (I would consider the $180 you've budgeted a bargain) but that can be offset but the rest of the year when they're nice and normal. Definitely agree that you should rent a bit here so you can get a lay of the land. Las Vegas has a lot to recommend it, as I'm sure you agree since you're considering moving here.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:45 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
After you've established a payment history with NV Energy, you can request a balanced payment plan. Same with Southwest Gas. My Electric is 227 a month, and the gas bill is 27. It's nice to be able to budget properly and avoid the summertime sticker shock of the electric bill.

They adjust the prices annually based on your usage. I'm not sure how long you have to be with them to request the balanced payment plans. I've been here forever.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:13 AM

111 posts, read 107,560 times
Pools are pretty common in communities here. You can live OK on $2400 a month. Not great but OK with some fun. Some places offer good resident discounts for shows and such so you can even have a bit of fun on that.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:16 AM

111 posts, read 107,560 times
If you have a single family home, your electric bill will run you about $250 to over $300 a month in July. More if you have a pool with pumps running. Your best bet is a townhouse or condo with a community pool. A medium townhouse or condo will cost around $200 a month in electricity in July.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:08 AM

Default not my best bet

No condos or town houses.

I have a wife to keep happy and she wants a private pool
And 4 SMALL dogs with tiny blaters make us want our own yard.

We may have other income as she may work and I may work part time.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:18 AM

Could you name a coupel specific worries with homes over 20 year old.
I am unfamilliar with the desert.
I know up here in MN the houses built before the last building boom are a lot more solid.

What do you fine folks pay for pool maint?

Also an observation, many condos are no cheaper than houses when you figure in the fees.

Thanks again for all the input.

We are lookign at a house payment under 1000/mo very lilkly under 800.

hope that give you guys more to work with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas