Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 09:21 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
Thinking about going to Utah with weekend... any advice on a "lite" two day trip there with the least amount of driving into the state?
Visit St. George and then Zion National Park. If you want to go a little farther away, drive to Bryce Canyon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 12:20 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
A low-income, car-less bus rider will hotly disagree with you!

For the too-many minimum wage workers in this town, they ask themselves every day: What's so exciting about living here?
Well you could always go back to the really exciting place you came from. But remember, where there is a will there is a way.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
I've lived in a handful of states and over 30 different cities throughout the West. I travel a lot. One thing I've noticed is how polarizing Las Vegas is for many people. Most seem to either love it or hate it. This city really brings out strong opinions in people. Note: For the record, I'm a part-timer in Las Vegas. I'm a legal resident due to property ownership, but a part-timer nonetheless.

Locals I know in Las Vegas seem to have some of this love/hate relationship going on. Whenever I wax poetic to them about the city, they are surprisingly quick to point out the flaws in their home town. And, they're quick to say things like, "Well, you don't know the real Las Vegas like we do." It's almost like they're trying to talk me out of liking Las Vegas. Seriously, it'd be nice to have a conversation with a local who, when I praise Las Vegas, simply responds with, "Yes. It's a nice place. I like it too."

Bill
A lot of us locals have gone through, or are going through, a period of not wanting any more growth. So some will tend to play down the things that bring more people here. Some people are just negative and would complain that chocolate suicide cake is too chocolaty.

But, you are right about the love/hate thing. I know a lot of people who say they hate it and are leaving; then, six months later, they are back because no place else lives up to their new high standards that they gained while living here. I've seen that dozens of times. Happened to me too, sort of. I transferred away three times for promotions, but with the thought of always coming back "home". One city was Albuquerque, one of the best places to live in the country. I love Albuq., but I bitc*ed all the time I was there because it wasn't Las Vegas. Now I wish I could have a home in both places. I was homesick for my hometown of Clarksburg, WV, for 40 years; but within two or three days of visits there, I get homesick for the desert, and can't wait to get back here.

I've been broke more than I've been flush throughout my life, but I found from day one (July 1964), with the right attitude of course, you can feel like a king living in Las Vegas, even without having much. But, you can also feel very sad and lonely here if you don't have friends and family; and I've been there too. Getting out and driving up to Mt. Charleston (or riding with friends) will perk anyone up though.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:48 PM

473 posts, read 849,239 times
Quote:
A low-income, car-less bus rider will hotly disagree with you!

For the too-many minimum wage workers in this town, they ask themselves every day: What's so exciting about living here?
Same could be said for any region/city, except perhaps where you can sit at the beach.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I'm fortunate that my neighbors love it here. Yes, that's right, I actually talk to my neighbors and they are very nice people. I talk to them when I go to the mailbox or walk over to the pool every afternoon to lie out in the 105 degree sun or take a swim in the pool. My neighborhood is AMAZING. The weather is absolutely perfect for me. I love that I'm NOT trapped inside for 5 months out of the year like I was in New England from November-March. I love that any night of the week I can go watch live music somewhere if I want. The sidewalks don't roll up at 9:00pm. I love that I can take day trips to places I've never been, and overnight trips to places I remember as a kid. I love that I live in a city where people want to come visit, as we left many friends back East, but our calendar is starting to fill up with visitors. And I love that I can afford a place here where I have 2 bedrooms and a loft JUST for those visitors. And I love that I get to show people this amazing valley for the first time when they come out to visit. Nope, can't think of anything that I don't love. Maybe I should start drinking too much, gambling too much, whoring, or "shysting" (can I use that as a verb??).. then I will be just as miserable as our troll who obviously hates itself enough to find fault with anywhere it is.
Excellent post. That's the way I've always felt about Las Vegas too. Yeah, I have problems getting out and about like I used to, and have to be careful of the altitudes in all the better scenic places; and the heat is too much these days (never cared for the pool that much anyway). But I can still live vicariously, if nothing else, on my memories and all the fun things my friends and my girls are able to do; and I still feel the sun, smell the sage, and hear the nature sounds that I know are out there. That's what keeps me going.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
Thinking about going to Utah with weekend... any advice on a "lite" two day trip there with the least amount of driving into the state?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Visit St. George and then Zion National Park. If you want to go a little farther away, drive to Bryce Canyon.
I agree. St. George is only two hours away. One if you drive a Porsche. The Cracker Barrel is worth the drive, but so is the Bear Paw Café. But there are lots of things around St. George to do. Google it.

Then another hour of fantastic scenery to Zion. That's the easiest, and best weekend getaway you'll find. Everyone should visit Zion Nat'l Park. Depending on your eye for such things, you could argue that it's the most beautiful NP in the country; but for sure it's in the top five.

Also, a very pleasant, and scenic, getaway is Cedar City, less than an hour north of St. George. If you like plays, the Utah Shakespeare Festival goes on all summer, and it's not all Shakespeare. They do several plays in two or three different theaters. Then in Sept/Oct they trim it down a little and do a couple of different plays before the season ends. Welcome to the Utah Shakespeare Festival

And don't miss Frei's Market in the St. George suburb of Santa Clara: History | Frei's Fruit Market

Old 08-05-2013, 01:23 PM

If you go to Zion NP, you might want to spend the night in Springdale, the nice little town that is at the entrance to the park. Zion National Park, Zion Canyon Visitors Bureau

Springdale has one of the best Mexican restaurants anywhere, The Bit and Spur. Bit and Spur | Restaurant and Saloon | Fresh, Innovative cuisine, located in Springdale Utah

And you might want to stop at Wildcat Willie's and bring home a bumble berry pie. Bumbleberry Inn - Restaurant & Amenities for Zion Canyon and Zion National Park

Old 08-05-2013, 05:49 PM

390 posts, read 755,887 times
Frei's Fruit Market is a bit pricey. There's also a market at Tulacon (not sure I spelled it right) on Sat. Remember you must buy packaged liquor at the state liquor store - not grocery store if you plan on wine in your hotel room.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:56 PM

206 posts, read 240,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Anyone trying to live on minimum wage anywhere is not going to be having fun. This has nothing to do with LV.
How true.
And, I might add, that for many, the grass is always greener somewhere else (no joke intended).

Old 08-05-2013, 09:24 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Well you could always go back to the really exciting place you came from. But remember, where there is a will there is a way.
You automatically concluded, from my post, as others, that I was unhappy living here, with one of the most ideal climates in the country. I was merely speaking out for the poor in this city, that don't find this city anymore exciting than living in Dayton, Ohio!

I come from Minneapolis and you may see a similar post on the Minnesota or Minneapolis forums, touting Minneapolis as the only ideal place to live in this country. I lived there for 43 years and who are these people who love living there? Those that have the means to get away for the winter!

After I move to Tucson, when retired, I may start a similar post on the Tucson forum: Isn't this the greatest city to live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas