Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 03:20 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times

Advertisements

In my HOA it would take 50% of the residents to overrule the board. No way would you get that many to show up. Thank goodness mine is run by reasonable people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 03:26 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,909,336 times
Default Hoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
If the normal BofD procedures do not provide satisfaction the deck is stacked against the homeowner. In difficult matters the choices will be court or throw the bums out via an election. What happens in most cases is the homeowner gives up and drops the matter or moves away. Sorry this is real world not as we might prefer it to be.

The court thing often becomes so expensive that the finances of the HOA are threatened if the HOA does not prevail.

An election may well be the better outcome all around.
The court thing is currently "in play" with the individual and the HOA. This could cost the HOA (home owners) big dollars because it's no longer about the facts and good reason, it's now apparently about anger and revenge from both sides.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:13 PM

611 posts, read 951,288 times
So different in Canada...BC anyways....as the Executive (called Strata meetings, not HOA) CANNOT vote on anything...they just break a tie if the homeowners tie on a vote. They are there to provide leadership and get quotes etc. and tell the membership of their findings and recommendations.

In our condo in Vegas, I went to a HOA meeting the end of May and I was so surprised that the Executive just told us homeowners what they decided upon and we were basically only there to be updated on their previously closed Executive Meeting decisions that happened before the public homeowner meeting.

I mentioned this difference to them and they looked at me as if I came from outer space...LOL

Old 08-06-2013, 04:49 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
My HOA has not done anything underhanded. There has been a lot of bickering and some of the board members strut around like roosters in what they believe is their own little fiefdom. One of our former board members was this ridiculously petty retiree with too much time on his hands and was gawd awful. I like how a good HOA keeps things looking nice, but when they go bad, it's nothing short of a nightmare for the residents. I don't think I would want to chance it again.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:14 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,491,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
My HOA has not done anything underhanded. There has been a lot of bickering and some of the board members strut around like roosters in what they believe is their own little fiefdom. One of our former board members was this ridiculously petty retiree with too much time on his hands and was gawd awful. I like how a good HOA keeps things looking nice, but when they go bad, it's nothing short of a nightmare for the residents. I don't think I would want to chance it again.
Hahaha sounds like one of the board members in my HOA.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:56 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
I still can't figure out who our HOA IS! lol.. We're renting, and I can't for the life of me find out who is supposed to maintain the minimal common areas here. I found one company, but they just maintain the pool. They sent me to another company who said, "if they maintain the pool, they should maintain the common areas as well!". Back and forth with 2 companies, neither of whom say they are responsible for the common areas. There's a large tree that has grown almost down to the ground blocking the path to the pool, and I was just wondering who I should call to have come cut it back a little. From the looks of it, all of these homeowners in the neighborhood are paying HOA fees, but no one is maintaining the property. I guess I'll grab some clippers and go do some pruning myself!

Old 08-07-2013, 03:16 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
I still can't figure out who our HOA IS! lol.. We're renting, and I can't for the life of me find out who is supposed to maintain the minimal common areas here. I found one company, but they just maintain the pool. They sent me to another company who said, "if they maintain the pool, they should maintain the common areas as well!". Back and forth with 2 companies, neither of whom say they are responsible for the common areas. There's a large tree that has grown almost down to the ground blocking the path to the pool, and I was just wondering who I should call to have come cut it back a little. From the looks of it, all of these homeowners in the neighborhood are paying HOA fees, but no one is maintaining the property. I guess I'll grab some clippers and go do some pruning myself!
Go to the address they send the HOA fee to. Or get that number. The companies that maintain stuff are hired by the people those checks go to.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:20 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
The court thing is currently "in play" with the individual and the HOA. This could cost the HOA (home owners) big dollars because it's no longer about the facts and good reason, it's now apparently about anger and revenge from both sides.
That ego thing. Man. My friend's association paid about $2300 in legal fees to avoid paying $1200.

Another boad voted to pay...let's see...$4000 on something most residents were against but that select few on the board who keep secrets from the others wanted it. And then who knows how much defending their right to do it using a high end attorney. And now that more people found out those directors did this they want to sue them.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:50 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Go to the address they send the HOA fee to. Or get that number. The companies that maintain stuff are hired by the people those checks go to.
I'm going to do that.. next time I see my neighbor.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:58 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,201 times
How about a BOD and Management co that puts a $35.00 extra assessment on our dues than we find out 6 months later their is over $51,000.00 in back dues not paid by 20 property owners one of them has not paid dues for over 4 years. They allow these people to rent out the houses and etc. In the mean time we residents had to fight for new pool furniture because the stuff there was over 20 years old and falling apart. After that battle we were informed no more money would be spent on the pool areas this year they can not afford it this is like the only way this BOD operated they will talk about doing things and years later do them only because the item they talked about is beyond repair and it cost them more money to do so and then they say they do things with the best interest of the community what a bunch of BS. So if you hear a big rumble from the East side of LV it will be me at the next meeting going off on them. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas