Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 01:57 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times

Advertisements

I feel like a long time reader, first time poster with this question. I know it's silly, but we've had the Cox bundle for so long I don't keep up with the phone business anymore. It used to be we had a single phone system for all of Las Vegas. (We had dial phones and operators too. ) Is there still a main phone system? Been thinking I don't really like the Cox phone system. Before we switched there was no need for a modem for one thing, and we never had a minute's problem with our house phones. Now we lose service now and then. Do they all require modems now? What do y'all think is the best system for a house phone. And I won't tell anyone not to lecture me on cell phones, but before you do just know I hate cell phones, but we each have one, and yes we have hands free Bluetooth in the car. Besides I have a piece of medical equipment that requires a landline and my wife needs the Facsimile (FAX) machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 02:03 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,988,924 times
We do the phone/satellite/internet bundle with Centurylink. We have lost internet a few times, but NEVER phone or satellite.

I am not exactly HAPPY with Centurylink, but I don't hope their headquarters burns to the ground like I do with Cox.

The First Honest Cable Company - YouTube

Old 08-30-2013, 02:28 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,139,402 times
We've got a bare bones landline with centurylink - they call it a dial tone. Other than spam calls, which are easy to ignore, it's a good backup to cell.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:33 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,535,965 times
I've never had a single issue with cox's goods... I am pretty sure all systems use a modem now. vonage voip, cox, century.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:57 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,617 times
There is only one place to go, and that is to call SBC and tell them you want regular "land line" service. Be specific, tell them you don't want VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol). There is no better quality than regular, good old fashion land line service. I worked for AT&T for 17 years, not making a sales pitch, because I hate the company, but that is the incumbent phones service for the Las Vegas area (formally Pacific Bell), and nothing beats it. I hate VOIP, can't stand the echoes, and unreliability. I believe cell phones are specifically designed for what they were intended for, and that is, to make calls when you are away from home, or for an emergency. Cell phones serve their purpose, and for many, they are fine with just a cell phone, but nothing beats the quality of land line service.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:00 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,796,460 times
We use Cox for the main number but have a Century Link land line as well.

Century Link owns the telephone wires to the house and requires no modem.

We also have a Google number that rings both cell phones and the land line.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:01 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
There is only one place to go, and that is to call SBC and tell them you want regular "land line" service.
And they'll tell you they don't service the area.

Quote:
I worked for AT&T for 17 years, not making a sales pitch, because I hate the company, but that is the incumbent phones service for the Las Vegas area (formally Pacific Bell),
Wrong. The history of the ILEC in Las Vegas from the 80s on is Centel->Sprint->Embarq->CenturyTel->CenturyLink.

Nevada Bell is the ILEC for a small number of customers in southern Nevada.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:07 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
There is only one place to go, and that is to call SBC and tell them you want regular "land line" service. Be specific, tell them you don't want VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol). There is no better quality than regular, good old fashion land line service. I worked for AT&T for 17 years, not making a sales pitch, because I hate the company, but that is the incumbent phones service for the Las Vegas area (formally Pacific Bell), and nothing beats it. I hate VOIP, can't stand the echoes, and unreliability. I believe cell phones are specifically designed for what they were intended for, and that is, to make calls when you are away from home, or for an emergency. Cell phones serve their purpose, and for many, they are fine with just a cell phone, but nothing beats the quality of land line service.
I totally agree. I think we were with AT&T before going with Cox. Nothing wrong with the service but Cox was cheaper. Now I don't think they are. Give me back Centel where there were never any problems. Funny to hear that people use landlines to back up the cell, when it is the other way around for me, and that is the way it all started out. Even the guy who invented cellular said he hates what they've done to his invention. He said engineers got involved and added all kinds of stuff you don't need, and none of it ever works right.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:09 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,753 times
IIRC, an unmeasured analog land line with CenturyLink is a little over $30/month. Reliable fax transmission/reception is usually only possible on a POTS (analog) line or Cox digital voice. If the phone goes over a standard Internet connection (Vonage, Ooma, or other VOIP), faxes and alarm systems will either require special settings (shut off ECM for fax for example) or will be unreliable. Cox digital voice is not treated as normal IP traffic, which is why faxing and alarm dialers work fine with it.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:34 PM

561 posts, read 680,999 times
CenturyLink's Basic Phone Service is 11.99/month. No long distance, no calling features, just a dial tone. But the service itself is bulletproof. When the power goes out, you'll still have phone service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas