Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 10:34 PM

111 posts, read 218,586 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of spending Christmas in Vegas this year. We have been tons of times but never Christmas week. How crowded will it be? We have three young kids that will be with us. We are also wanting to take them skiing. Is the Las Vegas ski resort worth it? This will be their first time so it doesn't have to be a crazy nice place. Would we be better making the drive to Brian Head?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 10:58 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbybaby View Post
We are thinking of spending Christmas in Vegas this year. We have been tons of times but never Christmas week. How crowded will it be? We have three young kids that will be with us. We are also wanting to take them skiing. Is the Las Vegas ski resort worth it? This will be their first time so it doesn't have to be a crazy nice place. Would we be better making the drive to Brian Head?
Brian Head definitely has better skiing, but you'll do fine at Mt. Charleston. They've gotten lots of snow recently. Probably a good place for beginners. You can also take the kids to the Opportunity Village Christmas display (homey, and fun, with hot chocolate and churros..yumm) The Ethel M cactus gardens are decorated for Christmas, and the Bellagio always has a nice display in the conservatory.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:04 PM

72 posts, read 99,212 times
The Bellagio, The Venetian and Ethel M are fun things to do and also Opportunity Village.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:29 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
And at every interesection, everyone can be thankful they're not holding a cardboard sign this year.... (Is it me, or has the panhandling EXPLODED in the last few weeks?)

Old 12-08-2013, 03:07 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbybaby View Post
I think first time skiers are better off at Brain Head. They have a great ski school and more room for the kiddies to learn on. I always thought Mt. Charleston's Bunny Hill was a little too small, and the runs up there are not so great for learners. Lee Canyon is a great day area for local skiers, and they do have ski school, but if you have time, go to Brain Head. That first introduction to skiing can make a skier or make a person who hates skiing.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I think first time skiers are better off at Brain Head. They have a great ski school and more room for the kiddies to learn on. I always thought Mt. Charleston's Bunny Hill was a little too small, and the runs up there are not so great for learners. Lee Canyon is a great day area for local skiers, and they do have ski school, but if you have time, go to Brain Head. That first introduction to skiing can make a skier or make a person who hates skiing.
I hate skiing, and I learned at Big Bear, which is known for great skiing. I agree that Brian Head is nice.

If the OP has time, maybe they could do both Lee Canyon, and Brian Head. The advantage to Lee is the proximity to Vegas.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:32 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,940,032 times
Big Bear and great skiing should NEVER be used in a sentence together.. Big bear has ski slopes - I will give you that...

Jacksonhole, Wy has GREAT skiing...Aspen, CO has GREAT skiing.... Keystone, CO has GREAT skiing

Sun Valley, ID has GREAT skiing.... Lake Tahoe, NV/CA has GREAT skiing... BUT not Big Bear....

And to the OP, since none of the kids know how to ski it won't matter where you take them because they will fall and get up and fall again and get up and have a great time as they try to ski, no matter how big or little the slopes are....

Old 12-08-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Big Bear and great skiing should NEVER be used in a sentence together.. Big bear has ski slopes..(snip)

Sun Valley, ID has GREAT skiing.... Lake Tahoe, NV/CA has GREAT skiing... BUT not Big Bear....
It probably has a lot to do with the talent of the person skiing. I sucked, big time. I'm a huge klutz, so giving me painful boots, long skis, and two poles to manage at the same time.. you can imagine.

I even fell exiting the lift, which held up the lift and does not make you popular with your fellow skiiers.

The kids took some snow boarding lessons and had a great time.

OP's kids will probably have a blast no matter where they go.

Trying to get to Brian Head might be a challenge right now. Lots of road closures because of this unusual weather.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:24 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,940,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
It probably has a lot to do with the talent of the person skiing. I sucked, big time. I'm a huge klutz, so giving me painful boots, long skis, and two poles to manage at the same time.. you can imagine.

I even fell exiting the lift, which held up the lift and does not make you popular with your fellow skiiers.

The kids took some snow boarding lessons and had a great time.

OP's kids will probably have a blast no matter where they go.

Trying to get to Brian Head might be a challenge right now. Lots of road closures because of this unusual weather.
I learned to ski when we lived in Alaska... As a kid.. And I probably fell more than I was up... But it was fun (well most of the time).....

We didn't have a chair lift.. It was a suction type... You held it to your stomach and it sucked you up the slope...... I fell with that and rolled about 100 feet down the slope before I got stopped... Then I decided that was enough for the day.....

Old 12-08-2013, 10:36 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
And at every interesection, everyone can be thankful they're not holding a cardboard sign this year.... (Is it me, or has the panhandling EXPLODED in the last few weeks?)

It is the new part time job across the valley. (I think people come to Vegas just to panhandle.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas