Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 09:59 AM

421 posts, read 898,712 times

Advertisements

I had all of my utilities turned on by phone. Didn't need to go in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 01:10 AM

461 posts, read 667,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollieW View Post
I had all of my utilities turned on by phone. Didn't need to go in person.
Procedures must have changed with the water company because I just went down there last week.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:14 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
This thread is a disappointment.

Clever title I guess.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:48 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
And in the meantime, get a Cresent wrench, go outside and lift water main cover and turn knob 90 degrees. Go to gas meter, and turn knob 90 degrees. Call NV Energy and have them enable your meter. If anyone asks you don't know nothing.
I don't understand what you are talking about.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:06 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
He is describing the mechanical procedure to turn water and gas on. If however they have been turned off both the valves he is describing are locked.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:44 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
Gas and water are as simple as turning the valve 90 degrees. Mine weren't locked when I moved in here. I would think thats reserved for those who don't pay their bill. Go look at a gas meter and the pipe going to it will have a valve that is inline when on, and perpendicular when off. I always turn my water on and off at the street, because it's easier.
Turned my gas off when I installed the stove in my bedroom. Really not rocket science, but most have never had the need, or grew up working on rentals.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Gas and water are as simple as turning the valve 90 degrees. Mine weren't locked when I moved in here. I would think thats reserved for those who don't pay their bill. Go look at a gas meter and the pipe going to it will have a valve that is inline when on, and perpendicular when off. I always turn my water on and off at the street, because it's easier.
Turned my gas off when I installed the stove in my bedroom. Really not rocket science, but most have never had the need, or grew up working on rentals.
You got lucky. I would think I have turned on the water and gas in 15 or 20 places over the last ten years and don't remember a single time when they were not locked.

The vast majority of people simply pick up the service which takes no time and requires no action except the reading of the meter. And you can do all that by phone.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:16 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You got lucky. I would think I have turned on the water and gas in 15 or 20 places over the last ten years and don't remember a single time when they were not locked.

The vast majority of people simply pick up the service which takes no time and requires no action except the reading of the meter. And you can do all that by phone.
You're probably right. I've only lived in 2 house in the last 30. Makes me wonder if the Smart meters can be turned on and off electronically?

Old 12-14-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
You're probably right. I've only lived in 2 house in the last 30. Makes me wonder if the Smart meters can be turned on and off electronically?
Electric is all automatic. The others require manual intervention. I had one weird deal where I personally turned on the utilities for an inspection. Thought we were going to end up with the client buying the place so I left them on....or water and electric anyway. Fell through and I turned them off 10 days later to get a very big water bill.. Only thing I can figure is some neighbor took advantage to fill a pool or there was a large billing error.

Got more cautious about letting utilities get on my account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas