Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 10:55 PM

41 posts, read 68,712 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity I went online to check on about a dozen or so homes from 8 to 10 months ago that I've made cash offers on (but didn’t get) to see how much those homes end up selling for. To my surprise, I found two properties that were sold for less than my cash offer, one was $2500 less and the other was $4800. Both homes were in the $150k to $160k range so the amount was quite significant. Now I’m beginning to wonder if it’s possible that seller’s agent/broker intentionally kept higher offers outside of their brokerage from their clients and provide the buying opportunities only to buyers that they (also) represents so to keep both seller and buyer's side commissions within the office instead of trying to get the highest amount for a client's house. If this stuff does go on, how common is it and what can a seller do avoid agents/broker who places their interest above their clients when they decide to sell a house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 11:18 PM

149 posts, read 347,032 times
It has happened to me. I even filed a complaint at Nevada Real Estate Commission but they called and said they can't investigate without more proof. I said isn't that the purpose of an investigation, for you to uncover proof? I got no response. Vegas is not a town known for its integrity.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:22 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlarge View Post
Just out of curiosity I went online to check on about a dozen or so homes from 8 to 10 months ago that I've made cash offers on (but didn’t get) to see how much those homes end up selling for. To my surprise, I found two properties that were sold for less than my cash offer, one was $2500 less and the other was $4800. Both homes were in the $150k to $160k range so the amount was quite significant. Now I’m beginning to wonder if it’s possible that seller’s agent/broker intentionally kept higher offers outside of their brokerage from their clients and provide the buying opportunities only to buyers that they (also) represents so to keep both seller and buyer's side commissions within the office instead of trying to get the highest amount for a client's house. If this stuff does go on, how common is it and what can a seller do avoid agents/broker who places their interest above their clients when they decide to sell a house?
Relax. Most of the time there are straight forward explanations. However, if it makes you feel any better, every once in a while someone cheats.

Most of the "cheating" I have seen was probably legal. That is homes shown before they were listed and sold in the first two hours of hitting the market. Nothing illegal or violating any code.

It is also possible for the seller, particularly in a short sale, to select less than the highest bidder. It is an interesting situation and sometimes the seller choses to direct the system. And there really is little to prevent it. Did money change hands on the side? Perhaps. But that may not be illegal either.

So I suspect you should just concentrate on the 8 where you did not get screwed...

I had a really nice client, who I did sell a nice big house to, who wanted to do a portfolio of small houses to rent. We bid I think on 15 or so. Ended up walking away from the one deal we actually made. I would note however he could easily have had two thirds of these. And he was at the right place in the market. So he drove a hard bargain that cost him around $400,000 in profit by now...and all those rentals would have made a good return. So you can certainly be too clever at this stuff.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:25 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,953,163 times
Dual agency is a tough road to hall, I believe whether your a buyer or a seller you should have your own representation. In some states it's illegal to do a dual agency and I feel that Nevada should follow suit. It's like using the same attorney in a divorce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas