Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:34 PM

57 posts, read 258,773 times

Advertisements

More enforcement, go after the employers. Here legal or leave!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 12:19 AM

151 posts, read 227,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwntwnradar View Post
More enforcement, go after the employers. Here legal or leave!

Arizona and Oklahoma recently passed tough laws that go after employers directly. We'll see what affect it has. I've read some news reports that indicate people are already leaving those states.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt121779 View Post
Arizona and Oklahoma recently passed tough laws that go after employers directly. We'll see what affect it has. I've read some news reports that indicate people are already leaving those states.
That is exactly what it is going to take. If the employers are fined they won't keep hiring the illegals, therefore the illegals can't stay and will self deport.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:42 PM

159 posts, read 478,766 times
As a Libertarian, I do not think that we should even have immigration laws. People should be able to live wherever the hell they want to live without having to jump through governmental hoops to live there.

D-Rat: Please don't take this as an attack or a criticism. (I like you/your posts.) It's merely an observation: what you stated above strikes me as being an anarchistic rather than a libertarian viewpoint.

Do you know what I mean? The lack of borders between countries might have been an idealistic and libertarian notion in a bygone era, but in today's world, it just seems to me to be a reckless attitude; one that would cause utter chaos and disorder.

So far, the human race as a whole hasn't appeared to be able to or to even want to live up to Utopian ideals. And I can't imagine us doing so any time soon.

Too bad...

Last edited by Julia B.; 12-15-2007 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: Quoting function messed up

Old 12-15-2007, 03:32 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt121779 View Post
And a UofA economists says that it may well take over 8% out of the AZ economy if it actually happens. I think virtually all the exiting though is to other states not Mexico...and includes a lot of legal and ciatizen hispanics who don't like the climate created.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:34 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
And a UofA economists says that it may well take over 8% out of the AZ economy if it actually happens. I think virtually all the exiting though is to other states not Mexico...and includes a lot of legal and ciatizen hispanics who don't like the climate created.
Then again, it may be much less.

Additionally, the reduction of taxes necessary, that go towards services for illegals (in excess of 1 billion dollars 2006 - according to the AZ dept of econ security), there may be a net gain for the state -

As for where they are going - New Mexico is not reporting substantial increases - so. cal is not - but according to the border patrol there has been an increase in traffic INTO mexico - is it the illegals? Don't know -

But, they are leaving here - and, that is a very good thing.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:19 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Then again, it may be much less.

Additionally, the reduction of taxes necessary, that go towards services for illegals (in excess of 1 billion dollars 2006 - according to the AZ dept of econ security), there may be a net gain for the state -

As for where they are going - New Mexico is not reporting substantial increases - so. cal is not - but according to the border patrol there has been an increase in traffic INTO mexico - is it the illegals? Don't know -

But, they are leaving here - and, that is a very good thing.
Anythign near 8% will but AZ into a recession. And they may as well be low as high. And any replacement of the illegals with legals of whatever the source vastly increases the state costs.

And as you and I both know the costs to AZ are offset by payments to the US Treasury and well over a third are the cost of schooling the children of illegals who are US Citizens. Got to cheat when we do the numbers don't we? And as you well know most of those children will end up on the welfare rolls at much increased costs if their parents are deported.

I would think those moving are sufficiently few in number to be undetectable wherever they go..Hundreds I heard. Nevada would certainly accomodate those kinds of numbers and never notice.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:21 PM

151 posts, read 227,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I am sure that is true, and it may indeed put the AZ economy into a short term recession. But this law is based on the big picture and that is what we all need to keep in mind. Yes, this law will have a very negative impact on businesses initially. It's like getting punched in the gut. But over time, as businesses go back to following the law, the state budget will rebound and things will get back to the up and up.

Many people think that the illegal immigration issue is a lost cause; and that things have gotten so bad that we cannot correct ourselves. That is untrue. This problem will be corrected state by state. It is clear that our ferderal government is going to do nothing to resolve this issue. Arizona and Oklahoma have taken the first steps at fighting back against illegal immigration. Sure, the whole thing might backfire and blow up their faces, but at least these states are moving forward and making changes to law, whereas most states will just sit back and allow millions to go down the drain.

If you removed every illegal immigrant from Las Vegas overnight; yes, the economy here would get a little shakey, but I can promise that the tourism would not drop. The economy here would adapt; without question.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:16 AM

10 posts, read 10,681 times
They aint human beings. I dont know what they think they are, but they aint human.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:23 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,462,487 times
I jumped in this a little late, but not sure what/who NSEW is referring to.

I personally (no bashing here - just my opinion). Let em work, pay taxes, pay insurance, etc... We have too many people that were born into this system that feel they are OWED plenty and don't work at all.

Or: Get em all out and have them apply (but FIX that system - it is TERRIBLE) and have all the welfare recipients take their jobs.

However they fix this, and some would/should be grandfathered (they have been working here for decades), I hope that they put some stipulation on families. Family member convicted of being a criminal, then DEPORT everyone of them. Come to think of it, would be a much better country to live in if we did that with legals as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: