Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 01:27 AM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,118,948 times

Advertisements

I'll snap a full pic of the receipt tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 01:37 AM

126 posts, read 151,481 times
Didn't the fees just double a little while back?

Old 04-17-2014, 02:11 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,986 times
EA, weren't you the one who was scraping by for a while? What in the world are you doing driving a truck that expensive? Money management, dude.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:21 AM

426 posts, read 527,165 times
I remember paying $320/year here to register a $24k MSRP vehicle back in 2003. I thought that was crazy. Sure enough, there was a lawsuit of some kind against DMV because of those ridiculous fees. They settled and I remember getting $300 in the mail in 2005. Anyone else remember that?

So it seems they've gone back to these ridiculous fees. Even the state of Washington isn't that crazy (usually they are a bunch of wacky fees up there, too) but they have no state income tax either. I registered a $50k car up there for I think $250. Down here (when we came back) it was close to $1000 to register the same car.

Car insurance is actually cheaper down here though.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:39 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I had to register my truck today, finally. I bought it in August, and haven't had the money to register it.
I incurred some late fees, but not much at all. Ok, I can live with that. However, the total bill ended up being 1156 dollars. That is, quite literally, highway robbery. It is absolutely insane to charge that much to put plates on a vehicle. I've never in my life paid anywhere near 4 figures for this. How do they get away with this?
There are a couple of things with your post that confuses me. First of all, we had a thread about registration fees back in September in which you participated, so you certainly were aware then of the taxes that are collected as part of the vehicle registration process. However, what's even more of a head-scratcher is that you noted that you had just purchased your truck in one post, but hadn't gotten it registered, and then a little over a week later you posted that the registration fee for the truck was almost $700 (which just about correlates to the $30k you say you paid for it). And now you're stating that you didn't register it after all back then even though you posted then that you paid $700. Or were you just saying in the post below that you found out that your registration fee would be $700, but you didn't actually register the truck after all? That would seem to correlate to your OP here that you didn't have the money to register it back then. But as I said, I'm confused.

Quote:
I renewed my tag on my car a month before moving here. I was not pleased with that law. Cost me 400 bucks. That's outrageous.
Currently, I have a 30 day tag on my new truck BUT the tape melted and it fell off. I have it in the center console. I've been driving around for a week with no tag. I'm amazed I haven't been pulled.
Quote:
Ug, my registration is almost 700 dollars.
Here's the entire thread from September: //www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...istration.html

Now, of course, the final bit of confusion rests with why the fee you're having to pay now is $1156 rather than $700 (assuming you didn't pay it last September). I wonder if that fee you just paid is covering that missed September 2013 - April 2014 timeframe in addition to the 12-month period from April 2014 - April 2015? That would explain the additional $450 or so, but I don't know whether the DMV operates that way. In fact, I don't even know whether you registered the car last September or whether you've just been driving around with no tag at all until now.

Or perhaps there's some other explanation. As I said, I'm confused.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:34 AM

I used the dmv calculator to come up with that 700 dollar fee.
I was saving to get it registered when I couldn't take driving cab any more. I ended up using savings to squeak by.
I got the sales job shortly after but didn't make a whole lot.
Now I install cable, which requires a truck.....
now I am making enough to afford everything handily, thanks to buying the truck in the first place.
Please skip the past tense financial advice.
I did know that the dmv fees are high, however, as my picture shows, the calculator is way off as the fees were almost double.

The point of the post is 1200 bucks is way too damn much to get plates on anything. State tax or no.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:02 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
I used the dmv calculator to come up with that 700 dollar fee.
I was saving to get it registered when I couldn't take driving cab any more. I ended up using savings to squeak by.
I got the sales job shortly after but didn't make a whole lot.
Now I install cable, which requires a truck.....
now I am making enough to afford everything handily, thanks to buying the truck in the first place.
I did know that the dmv fees are high, however, as my picture shows, the calculator is way off as the fees were almost double.

The point of the post is 1200 bucks is way too much to get plates on anything. State tax or no.

The state has to get its tax money somewhere. States with no state income tax tend to have high taxes in other areas. They are not a secret. You bought not just a truck, but an expensive new truck. In NV, that's the price you pay.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The state has to get its tax money somewhere. States with no state income tax tend to have high taxes in other areas. They are not a secret. You bought not just a truck, but an expensive new truck. In NV, that's the price you pay.

I get their reasoning, but I am not required to be happy about it. Discontent should be expressed more often, maybe some things will change for the better as a result.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:12 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Where did you see any financial advice in my post (past tense or otherwise)?

What about the question I asked? Is it possible that the $1156 covered the preceding 8-month period in addition to the upcoming 12 months? I just found the following on the DMV website:

The DMV is required by law to charge late fees that consist of taxes and penalties. You must pay the full renewal fees for the coming year and the pro-rated Registration Fee and Governmental Services Taxes for the period of time the vehicle was not registered.

Nevada Vehicle Registration Fees

So it appears from the above that the reason you had to pay so much was because you were charged for perhaps 20 months and not 12. I could be wrong, but at least that provides a somewhat plausible explanation to your situation.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Where did you see any financial advice in my post (past tense or otherwise)?
In your post, I didn't. That was directed at the guys telling me I should have gotten an older truck or cheaper car.

It's possible that being prorated jacked up the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas