Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 12:49 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,896,126 times

Advertisements

Been here 12 years, with a 2 year stint in Reno mixed in, and I'm just done with it. I used to absolutely love this place, but the community spirit is getting worse by the month. In these tough times we are seeing the true colors of our neighbors. For every can do person you find 20 who complain about something dumb and then say the world is going to end. And no matter how many years I go through it, summer never gets easier.

Can't believe all these people who want to move her don't realize how this all wears on you. I have lived in a handful of other places and this is off the charts negative with zero community spirit. But there is a reason why such a large percentage who move here eventually leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 01:27 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,260,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Been here 12 years, with a 2 year stint in Reno mixed in, and I'm just done with it. I used to absolutely love this place, but the community spirit is getting worse by the month. In these tough times we are seeing the true colors of our neighbors. For every can do person you find 20 who complain about something dumb and then say the world is going to end. And no matter how many years I go through it, summer never gets easier.

Can't believe all these people who want to move her don't realize how this all wears on you. I have lived in a handful of other places and this is off the charts negative with zero community spirit. But there is a reason why such a large percentage who move here eventually leave.
Unfortunately, this is definitely not San Diego, but this is far from one of the worst places I have been in. For starters, Phoenix, Albuquerque, Dallas, and Des Moines were FAR worse. This is definitely one of the best places I have lived in at least.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:34 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,896,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Unfortunately, this is definitely not San Diego, but this is far from one of the worst places I have been in. For starters, Phoenix, Albuquerque, Dallas, and Des Moines were FAR worse. This is definitely one of the best places I have lived in at least.
I haven't lived in any of those places, but I hated Reno so I know there are worse places. But really let's be honest, every other city has a better sense of community than this place. I've never met so many people who take pleasure in seeing others suffer. People who love to say "I told you so" when someone gets their house foreclosed or loses their job. Its insidious.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
I haven't lived in any of those places, but I hated Reno so I know there are worse places. But really let's be honest, every other city has a better sense of community than this place. I've never met so many people who take pleasure in seeing others suffer. People who love to say "I told you so" when someone gets their house foreclosed or loses their job. Its insidious.
What I have noticed recently is people lying to me to sell something. I have too many experiences to list, but here are the most recent examples. I just bought a mini refrigerator for my room on craigslist about 2 weeks ago. The guy said it was only six months old, and in mint condition. I took it home, and looked on the back, and it was made 7 years ago. It does work perfectly, but this was a blatant lie to say the least. Same goes for a 36 inch television I bought off Ebay for the living room around 3 months ago. The guy said he bought it brand new in 2003. Funny, when I look on the back, AND looked up the model number on google, it was made and purchased in 1998.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:22 AM

296 posts, read 803,306 times
People are desperate for money, really desperate. It is survival of the fittest. We are getting past the time when people wanted money to buy stuff, now they want money to keep a roof over their head and to eat - and this is the point of desperation.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:39 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,839,284 times
Times are hard. I consider myself a pretty honest person. I have two kids who are young. I hope I never get there, but I would anything to provide for them. I don't condone any misrepresentation, but I understand, only if someones family's well being depended on it. A dad will do anything to provide for his kids.

Again, I don't condone it, but understand a dads perspective for his family. I'm just sayin'.

I hope no one is faced with decisions like this.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:07 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,300,380 times
I can understand some of what Willy is saying...even I have been feeling a need to get away for different reasons though. I've only been in the valley for 10 years, but feeling a need to relocate. That feeling comes and goes. I think the recession plays a part, but then again, I have never liked staying in the same area forever. Willy, maybe you just need a change of pace for awhile. Try going somewhere else for awhile and see if you miss Las Vegas. There are many that left, and many come back.

And LVD, what is wrong with Albuquerque? I've become interested in that general area, mainly closer to Santa Fe.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:18 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,579,050 times
Living in San Diego(County) there are plenty of places that face a lot of problems just like Vegas.Great place to visit but about 25% of SD(County) you don't want to live in.Same with Miami,Honolulu,Orlando,San Francisco,Tampa,NYC, ect ect.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I can understand some of what Willy is saying...even I have been feeling a need to get away for different reasons though. I've only been in the valley for 10 years, but feeling a need to relocate. That feeling comes and goes. I think the recession plays a part, but then again, I have never liked staying in the same area forever. Willy, maybe you just need a change of pace for awhile. Try going somewhere else for awhile and see if you miss Las Vegas. There are many that left, and many come back.

And LVD, what is wrong with Albuquerque? I've become interested in that general area, mainly closer to Santa Fe.
I found Albuquerque to be very boring, and I could not find any work, and that was even back in 2005. In other words, way before the recession started. I would rate Albuquerque below Phoenix which is pretty bad.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:27 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,588,276 times
Quote:
50 bucks says you haven't lived in Orlando, FL either have you now?

You problem is not unique to the city of Las Vegas, Clark County, or the state of Nevada as a whole. The sad part is this is how it is everywhere.

Just remember even in better economic times a lot of people are negative nay-sayers who would enjoy nothing more then to see you go down. Say you bought a new car and somebody you know said "Oh you bought a (insert car make and model here) that thing wont last 500 miles" and then it breaks down right at when the odometer hits 500. That person you know will remind you of that until the day you die, sad but true.

It's human nature to be jealous and hate others who are doing better then us. If a lot of people are hating on you, you must be doing pretty damn well during these times. This is cliched but remember misery loves company. I can say that because I can be a pretty miserable bastard myself sometimes

Even in these times I meet a lot of positive people who are doing well in their lives and hope for the good of others. There are more people. "There's way more people out there lovin' then there is hatin'" - R. Kelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas