Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 03:35 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,673,031 times

Advertisements

I called Progressive to find out what my auto insurance is going to cost once I arrive and transfer back to a NV policy and the rep made an offhanded comment about how over the past several months she has noticed a significant increase in the number of people requesting new policies due to relocation to NV. She actually asked if something new was going on that was drawing people to the LV area.

Obviously being only one person's observation this doesn't mean much but it will be interesting to see if growth in the Valley ever manages to approach the rates experienced during the last two decades.
Not suggesting that would be desirable just curious if anyone realistically anticipates ever seeing that again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 03:43 PM

529 posts, read 512,460 times
Population is going up and so are housing prices. It is only logical that means more people are moving here and need insurance than are leaving.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:47 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
3 million here we come.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:07 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
3 million here we come.
Let us hope not.

And OP, your observation is far from meaningless. The rumor mill, and personal observation, usually get it right way before the media even picks up a story. They were still reporting on the bad condition of the LV real estate market while gains of 5% per MONTH were being had.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:19 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,974 times
Quote:
3 million here we come.
Maybe in 2040. We're growing at about 50k/year right now.

http://cber.unlv.edu/charts/growthpp.png

Old 05-29-2014, 04:20 PM

555 posts, read 1,259,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I called Progressive to find out what my auto insurance is going to cost once I arrive and transfer back to a NV policy and the rep made an offhanded comment about how over the past several months she has noticed a significant increase in the number of people requesting new policies due to relocation to NV. She actually asked if something new was going on that was drawing people to the LV area.

Obviously being only one person's observation this doesn't mean much but it will be interesting to see if growth in the Valley ever manages to approach the rates experienced during the last two decades.
Not suggesting that would be desirable just curious if anyone realistically anticipates ever seeing that again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasPlayer View Post
Population is going up and so are housing prices. It is only logical that means more people are moving here and need insurance than are leaving.
Quote:
3 million here we come.

Articles I've seen lately about increased tourist activity and the spending habits of us locals>

Taxable sales across Nevada surge in March | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Vegas airport traffic up 1.7 percent in April - Las Vegas MyNews3 - KSNV

McCarran Airport Traffic Rises « CBS Las Vegas

Old 05-29-2014, 05:39 PM

322 posts, read 565,407 times
At what point does one officially become a resident of LV and part of the population count instead of a "visitor"? So many people have vacation or secondary homes in LV and I'm sure there's a widely varying amount of time spent in them as well as varying structure on paper. For example, if I own a condotel unit and spend 75% of my time there and 25% in my other home in another city, am I resident of LV? What if the numbers were reversed? What if I only spend 25% of my time in LV, but I own 10 other homes across the US and spend less than 10% of my time in each, making the 25% that I spend in LV the most in one place by far?

Old 05-29-2014, 05:50 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV2ndHome View Post
At what point does one officially become a resident of LV and part of the population count instead of a "visitor"? So many people have vacation or secondary homes in LV and I'm sure there's a widely varying amount of time spent in them as well as varying structure on paper. For example, if I own a condotel unit and spend 75% of my time there and 25% in my other home in another city, am I resident of LV? What if the numbers were reversed? What if I only spend 25% of my time in LV, but I own 10 other homes across the US and spend less than 10% of my time in each, making the 25% that I spend in LV the most in one place by far?
The DMV says you have 30 days... And the fines are high! They encourage your neighbors to turn you in too!

Old 05-29-2014, 06:25 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,928 times
In my observation, places that used to be light on traffic are heavier and places that used to not have long lines now do. So yes, I would say things are picking back up for sure.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:53 PM

322 posts, read 565,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
The DMV says you have 30 days... And the fines are high! They encourage your neighbors to turn you in too!
But that only relates to car ownership registration. I'd think certainly one doesn't have to own a car to be a resident. Many use public transportation, car pool with friends/co-workers, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: