Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 03:58 PM

4 posts, read 2,780 times

Advertisements

My husband will be retiring from the Navy in January and although we want to stay in San Diego, the cost of living here is too high. After much research, we have decided to move to Las Vegas so we can be near Nellis and the VA Hospital. I am a travel agent (military, government and corporate) by trade and he will be a full time student, taking advantage of his GI Bill but will also work a minimal job. We will have 2 teenage daughters in High School so the school is probably on our TOP PRIORITY list along with a "safer" neighborhood. We do not plan on buying immediately and we can comfortably afford $1800-2000/mo for rent. My questions are:

1.) which neigborhoods, west of the 15, would you recommend - remember, we want to be fairly close to Nellis.
2.) which schools should we be directing our search towards
3.) what do average utilities run each month
4.) what is the average for car registration

Any information, comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 04:12 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachick View Post
My questions are:

1.) which neigborhoods, west of the 15, would you recommend - remember, we want to be fairly close to Nellis. Aliante or Centennial Area
2.) which schools should we be directing our search towards No kids so i can't answer that
3.) what do average utilities run each month Rental house may not be that efficient.. figure 100-150 November - March and 250-600 April till October..
4.) what is the average for car registration About 2% of original msrp and goes down slightly each year.. I own a 2012 Hyundai…300 this year. Neighbor just bought a BMW X3 M. over $1000 for the plate

….

Old 06-03-2014, 04:21 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,421,063 times
Quote:
My husband will be retiring from the Navy in January and although we want to stay in San Diego, the cost of living here is too high. After much research, we have decided to move to Las Vegas so we can be near Nellis and the VA Hospital. I am a travel agent (military, government and corporate) by trade and he will be a full time student, taking advantage of his GI Bill but will also work a minimal job. We will have 2 teenage daughters in High School so the school is probably on our TOP PRIORITY list along with a "safer" neighborhood. We do not plan on buying immediately and we can comfortably afford $1800-2000/mo for rent. My questions are:

1.) which neigborhoods, west of the 15, would you recommend - remember, we want to be fairly close to Nellis. Did you read the sticky? - //www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...ley-start.html
2.) which schools should we be directing our search towards Did you read the sticky? - //www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...ley-start.html
3.) what do average utilities run each month Did you read the sticky? - //www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...ley-start.html
4.) what is the average for car registration Did you read the sticky? - //www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...ley-start.html

Any information, comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated Read the sticky! - //www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...ley-start.html

Old 06-03-2014, 04:23 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:

1.) which neigborhoods, west of the 15, would you recommend - remember, we want to be fairly close to Nellis.
2.) which schools should we be directing our search towards
3.) what do average utilities run each month
4.) what is the average for car registration

After you read the sticky...

Just use Centennial, Arbor View or Shadow Ridge High School. Any exceptionally bright kid consider Advanced Tech or perhans the NW Technology Center which are magnet schools.

This is basically the NW corner of Las Vegas. Zips would be part or all of 89129 89149, 89166, 89143, 89131, 89084.

Utilities figure 250 to 350 averaged over the yeqr.

Airics did the car registration. You can go to the NVDMV website and calculate an estimate for any given vehicle.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:08 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Thanks to your husband for his years of service. And thanks to you for being spouse during his service.

One suggestion as you look for rental housing (I don't know if this is on the sticky): bring a compass with you when you visit potential rentals. Avoid a property with west-facing windows.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:19 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Thanks to your husband for his years of service. And thanks to you for being spouse during his service.

One suggestion as you look for rental housing (I don't know if this is on the sticky): bring a compass with you when you visit potential rentals. Avoid a property with west-facing windows.
I will add to that, as I am hoping you will have windows on all sides, or that would just be depressing. If I had to do it again, I would not pick a house with my BEDROOM on the 2nd floor in the Southwest corner of the house. It is a good 10-15 degrees warmer in that room, and that's the room where we would prefer it to be coolest.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:56 PM

158 posts, read 264,816 times
Or if you do have west facing windows (especially if you're renting and there's just that one room), invest in light and heat blocking window covers.

Also, if you have a west facing front door, try to schedule your movers for the morning if it's a summer (April - September) move...

We just moved to a gated community in Centennial Hills and I know there's a lot of military people around there.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:16 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

i wish i knew that before i bought my house..

Old 06-06-2014, 04:02 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,693 times
Buy 80% solar screens for the west facing windows. Best of both worlds. Keeps the heat out and the light in.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:46 PM

391 posts, read 1,030,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimilyn View Post
We just moved to a gated community in Centennial Hills and I know there's a lot of military people around there.
Yep...Creech AFB. You all are closest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas