Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 06:13 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
As you know, there are lots of different types of pizza. Neapolitan is only one, but its the one we know, which gets sold by the slice everywhere.
That isn't what I'm saying at all. I actually AM saying that there is only one kind of pizza. There aren't "lots of different types." There are a lot of different things that are erroneously called pizza. Just like there are a lot of different things that are erroneously called barbecue... or champagne.

If a Neapolitan takes a bite and says, "Buona pizza!" Then it's pizza. If this same strawman Neapolitan takes a bite and says, "Cosa e' questo?" Then it is NOT pizza.

Do not hand me a glass of sparkling wine and tell me it's champagne.
Do not give me a plate of par-boiled, grilled over high heat pork dripping with sweet sauce and tell me it's barbecue.
Do not give me a carbonated, fermented rice beverage and tell me it's pilsner.
Do not give me a hydrogenated solid oil with flavoring and tell me it's cheese.
(To quote Outlaw Josey Wales) Do not [censored] down my back and tell me it's raining.

And don't give me a sausage and cheese casserole and tell me it's pizza. Call it "Windy City Deep Dish Pie" if you like. Call it whatever you want. But pizza is what they serve in Naples. Nothing else is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 12:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
There you go: our speed. We will be there in a couple of weeks and the first place we will hit, after we get out of the airport will be In&Out. Then probably another 2 or 3 times while we are there for 8 days.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:05 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
Italians think they're all Pizza.

History of Pizza | Italy

Quote:
The Pizza Margherita may have set the standard, but there are numerous popular varieties of pizza made in Italy today. Pizza from a Pizzeria is the recognized round shape, made to order and always cooked in a wood fired oven. Regional varieties are always worth trying such as Pizza Marinara, a traditional Neapolitan pizza that has oregano, anchovies and lots of garlic. Pizza Napoli Tomato mozzarella and anchovies. Capricciosa: a topping of mushrooms, prosciutto, artichoke hearts, olives and ½ a boiled egg! Pizza Pugliese makes use of the local capers and olives of the area while Pizza Veronese has mushrooms and tender Prosciutto crudo. Pizzas from Sicily can have numerous toppings ranging from green olives, seafood, hard-boiled eggs and peas.

Besides regional styles there are several varieties that are popular throughout Italy. Quattro Formagi uses a four cheese combination using fresh mozzarella and three local cheeses such as Gorgonzola, ricotta and parmigiano-reggiano. Italian tuna packed in olive oil is also a popular topping along with other marine products like anchovies, shellfish and shrimp. Quattro Stagioni is a pizza (similar to the Capricciosa) that represents the four seasons and makes a good sampler pizza with sections of artichokes, salami or Prosciutto cotto, mushrooms, and tomatoes. In Liguria you may find pizza topped with basil pesto and no tomato sauce. Of course there are hundreds more to discover and all of them are delicious, not to mention the other members of the pizza family.
- See more at: History of Pizza | Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
That isn't what I'm saying at all. I actually AM saying that there is only one kind of pizza. There aren't "lots of different types." There are a lot of different things that are erroneously called pizza. Just like there are a lot of different things that are erroneously called barbecue... or champagne.

If a Neapolitan takes a bite and says, "Buona pizza!" Then it's pizza. If this same strawman Neapolitan takes a bite and says, "Cosa e' questo?" Then it is NOT pizza.

Do not hand me a glass of sparkling wine and tell me it's champagne.
Do not give me a plate of par-boiled, grilled over high heat pork dripping with sweet sauce and tell me it's barbecue.
Do not give me a carbonated, fermented rice beverage and tell me it's pilsner.
Do not give me a hydrogenated solid oil with flavoring and tell me it's cheese.
(To quote Outlaw Josey Wales) Do not [censored] down my back and tell me it's raining.

And don't give me a sausage and cheese casserole and tell me it's pizza. Call it "Windy City Deep Dish Pie" if you like. Call it whatever you want. But pizza is what they serve in Naples. Nothing else is.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Italians think they're all Pizza.

History of Pizza | Italy
Sure, different toppings on the same basic dough, fired in a very hot wood-fired oven so it cooks quick. That's a pizza. Put eggs and basil on a pizza and it's a pizza. Put anchovies and garlic on a pizza and it's a pizza. Create a casserole that is three inches thick, with a crust the thickness of a catcher's mitt, and it is no longer a pizza. Even if it tastes good, it's not a good pizza. It's a good something else that isn't a pizza.

Lamborghinis also come in many colors. But we can all agree what a Lamborghini is, right? And you can't mistake a dump truck for a Lamborghini, no matter how loudly the people of Chicago might yell that their dump truck is, in fact, a Lamborghini. Their dump truck might even have lots of horsepower and have a similar paint job. A dump truck is not a Lamborghini. Although some farm equipment is. (Lamborghini made tractors before they made supercars.)

Let the Italians decide what is (and isn't) a pizza. And we can be the judge and jury about what constitutes a Buffalo wing, a pulled pork sandwich, gumbo, and all the various things that we invented.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:13 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,118,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

Lamborghinis also come in many colors. But we can all agree what a Lamborghini is, right? And you can't mistake a dump truck for a Lamborghini, no matter how loudly the people of Chicago might yell that their dump truck is, in fact, a Lamborghini. Their dump truck might even have lots of horsepower and have a similar paint job. A dump truck is not a Lamborghini. Although some farm equipment is. (Lamborghini made tractors before they made supercars.)

I started reading the Lambo bit, and was just about to post a pic of the Lambo tractor when you mentioned the tractors. Spoiled my fun, man. Or did, you?

BA DA! Lambo truck

Old 08-21-2014, 05:56 PM

Yeah. I knew about that Hummer-like thing that Lambo made for what, two years?

That's why I specifically said DUMP truck. Chicago deep-dish casserole is to pizza as a dump truck is to a Lamborghini. They are both motor vehicles. They both have wheels and an engine and seats. You CAN get from place to place in either. They might even be painted the same color and have similar horsepower. But they aren't the same. They're not even close.

All that business about toppings a few posts up neglects to mention that the base dough and the way it is fired is identical. This is something that is taken for granted in Italy. In fact, Italians have backyard brick ovens with the same regularity that Americans have backyard gas grills. They take their pizza seriously.

Eventually, a "born-and-raised in Italy" user will chime in and confirm what I'm saying about Chicago deep-dish casserole.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:37 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
My apologies if this was mentioned previously, but I keep forgetting a good Thai place in The Lakes on East Lake Dr. It's The King and I. Haven't been in a while, but it was always very good.

King & I Thai Food Delivery Restaurant Las Vegas Takeout 89117 at the Lakes | Chinese Food

As far as Carlino's Burittos, I keep hearing people call it New Mexico food. After living in Albuquerque and working in Santa Fe, when my wife and I ate at Carlino's, we concluded that they must have been run out of New Mexico. The only New Mexico food that I know of in Las Vegas is at Garduño's, and even by New Mexico standards they are pretty good, but not the best.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:22 PM

402 posts, read 746,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV
That's why I specifically said DUMP truck. Chicago deep-dish casserole is to pizza as a dump truck is to a Lamborghini. They are both motor vehicles. They both have wheels and an engine and seats. You CAN get from place to place in either. They might even be painted the same color and have similar horsepower. But they aren't the same. They're not even close.
I know this fruitless but the dump truck is a vehicle and some people would prefer a dump truck to the Lamborghini but that's a bit off point. You're being unnecessarily hard-headed and obtuse on your point. You are the only person I've (virtually) met that refuses to recognize other types of pizza as pizza. If you want to say something isn't Neapolitan style pizza that's at least a better argument but pizza is not owned by anybody and at the end of the day, consumers ultimately determine what can be called pizza. A Honda Civic is still a car even if most people don't think it's as nice. The Lamboghini people don't get to determine what is or isn't a car just because they have a premium brand. Budweiser is still beer even though I can't understand how people drink it. Pizza is too broad of a category and at the end of the day, nobody here in America cares what people from Italy think of American pizza. Some tastes evolve; some don't.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:02 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Back to the primary subject.

Vintners Grill is pretty good. Particularly their light stuff . Cheese and Charcuterie and Humous.

Bob Taylor does an adequate steak at a not outrageous price and the ambiance makes it fit .

I think some of the VP pubs are actually prettty good. Steiners for Lamb chop, hamburgers, hot wings and chili.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherjaw View Post
The Lamboghini people don't get to determine what is or isn't a car just because they have a premium brand. Budweiser is still beer even though I can't understand how people drink it. Pizza is too broad of a category and at the end of the day, nobody here in America cares what people from Italy think of American pizza. Some tastes evolve; some don't.
Lamborghini most certainly DOES get to say what is and is not a Lamborghini. Those ridiculous kit cars, for instance, are not Lamborghinis, no matter how vocal the counterfeiter claims to the contrary.

And that's why we as a nation don't get what we pay for.

If some Brazilian company made a second-rate whiskey and called it "bourbon," Americans would be hopping mad about that. Americans absolutely own bourbon. It's our whiskey, damn it. So don't go making some brown swill and call it bourbon.

But we're hunky-dory doing just that with champagne, port and sherry. It isn't right. And it also isn't right what we do to pizza.

At the end of the day, I'm not saying that I get to decide what is and isn't pizza. I'm saying the Italians hold exclusive right to that. Just like Americans (and particularly Kentuckians) hold exclusive right to bourbon.

We are far too cavalier about what we call food. And that's why imposter prime beef is passed off on ignorant shoppers in every supermarket in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas