Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 10:36 AM

499 posts, read 1,059,997 times

Advertisements

Stopped by Costco on N. Decatur this morning, gas was $3.21. With my 3% discount, I am paying $3.11 per gallon for top tier gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 10:41 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,998,833 times
November is coming. Don't worry, we'll be back to WTF after the mid-term election.

The price of CNG is holding steady at $2.19/gallon (It's sold by weight. But that's what it works out to as $/gallon.) It's been at or near that price for the past five years. The highest I've ever paid was $2.69/gallon. And that was when gasoline was higher than $5/gallon.

I don't know why so few people go this route. It is SO much better than gasoline.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:27 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
Have to go to Costco and get some gas!

Old 09-24-2014, 12:05 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,553,677 times
Are you advocating using natural gas powered cars as opposed to gasoline powered ones?

Old 09-24-2014, 12:15 PM

Yes I am. And I am WELL aware about how bad fracking is. But there are clean ways to get natural gas out of the ground without destroying people's water system. They aren't as cheap. And energy companies only care about profit. This is one instance where government should have our backs for the common good.

Still better than OPEC. That's the conclusion that I came to. Truthfully, I would ride my bicycle to work if that were an option. But that's a death sentence to ride the surface roads near the Strip in the wee hours of the morning.

So I have a CNG-powered truck. I could use public transportation. But that ALSO uses CNG.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:33 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,680,392 times
What make and model is your truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Yes I am. And I am WELL aware about how bad fracking is. But there are clean ways to get natural gas out of the ground without destroying people's water system. They aren't as cheap. And energy companies only care about profit. This is one instance where government should have our backs for the common good.

Still better than OPEC. That's the conclusion that I came to. Truthfully, I would ride my bicycle to work if that were an option. But that's a death sentence to ride the surface roads near the Strip in the wee hours of the morning.

So I have a CNG-powered truck. I could use public transportation. But that ALSO uses CNG.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:38 PM

Google "CNG-powered pickup truck" and you will easily find it. CNG vehicles work EXACTLY the same way gasoline vehicles work, with the exception of the way the driver fills the tank, and the way the fuel is delivered to the engine.

When my truck needs basic maintenance, I take it to the local garage. It's nothing they haven't dealt with before.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:55 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,553,677 times
Electric cars are the way of the future. Transmission of and centralization of power generation make this the optimal choice for vehicle propulsion.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:57 PM

499 posts, read 1,059,997 times
What is the gas mileage for the CNG powered truck?

Old 09-24-2014, 01:05 PM

Doesn't really work that way. CNG drivers deal in range. About 250 miles per fill, which costs $30. They're great as commuters and for "need to have a truck to make my life work" duty. But it would be near impossible to take a road trip with one. The distribution network isn't in place. Victorville is as far as I've driven. Utah is big on CNG since they are a producer. So I could easily drive to Salt Lake if I needed to do so.

While I agree that electric cars are the way of the future. I need a way to get to work while I wait for the future to arrive. (And I wish it would hurry up. I've been reading about flying cars my entire life.)

EDIT -- I would be remiss if I didn't mention that CNG drivers can purchase a home filling system that attaches to their home gas line. That makes the price per gallon SERIOUSLY cheap. But the system itself is so expensive that CNG would have to be either a decades-long commitment or the driver owns multiple CNG vehicles.

EDIT AGAIN -- The easiest way to answer about gas mileage is that like I said before, EVERYTHING works the same way as a regular gas-powered vehicle, except for fuel storage and delivery. Methane is not as efficient as gasoline. But it burns cleaner. There's always a trade-off. So the short answer is that my truck gets the same kind of mileage that any 8-cylinder, 5 liter pickup truck gets. I just don't pay for terrorism and wars to commute. Instead I pay for environmental destruction and out-of-control corporate greed. As with most things, there are no easy answers.

THIRD-TIME'S-THE-CHARM -- And I didn't mention: No smog check. Completely exempt. Good to go in any HOV lane in the country. Oil changes every 20,000 or so because it's so clean burning. Spark plugs? No idea. I pull one every once and awhile and it looks like it has less than 100 miles on it. My truck has 106,000 on it. And it runs and drives as new. But someday, I will need to replace the big horkin' fuel tanks in the bed.

Last edited by ScoopLV; 09-24-2014 at 01:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: