Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 02:04 AM

36 posts, read 192,543 times

Advertisements

DTP is doing a good job considering they've only been in operation since 2012. A lot still needs to be done. I think there's a lack of synergy when walking around the area, but hopefully more buildings will rise and vacant lots disappear to tie businesses and buildings together. A few more investors need to step in to help invest and develop. DTP's 200 million for real estate purchases is very slim considering they own over 60 acres. To put things in perspective, 200 million would barely build the Ogden today.

That being said, I'm always very excited when a new venue opens dt and enjoy helping the locals by frequenting their businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 03:43 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
For those people residing in Downtown Vegas, would they rather see a derelict building, vacant lot full of trash and weeds or thriving businesses? They should patronize the shops, restaurants, bars and other businesses in the area. Once in a while I go to the East Fremont District for a drink and a meal especially at the Container Park.
They would patronize the shops of they could afford to. Check out my list above, the REAL downtown community just want a place to wash their clothes, do laundry, read some books, have computer access repair their bikes and possibly a place for their kids to play.

Not too much discretionary income in the area. You go to the area to visit and be entertained. Others already live there and are just trying to live and get by.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:49 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,662 times
The DTP is a delusion. It's not sustainable. Vegas is not Sillcion Valley and people here wont pay 200 bucks for art made out of tin foil by the lady who lives a few doors down from me. Container park is a joke.

Hirch does have his troglodytes drinking the Kool Aid though...good for him.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
The DTP is a delusion. It's not sustainable. Vegas is not Sillcion Valley and people here wont pay 200 bucks for art made out of tin foil by the lady who lives a few doors down from me. Container park is a joke.

Hirch does have his troglodytes drinking the Kool Aid though...good for him.
DTP basically is gentrification done wrong. If they want to gentrify the neighborhood, then they will have to do it right. You don't start with adding upscale businesses in low income areas. You start from the bottom up. Gotta remove the pan handlers, homeless, drug users, drug pushers, hookers and pimps. All of these entities still dominate the Fremont area.

I'm not new to gentrification. It happened to the neighborhood I grew up in,west side Savannah Georgia. Right before the 1996 Olympics, all low income homes were bought up, fixed up, and rents doubled/tripled. Then leased to all the local college students as off campus "dorms". Police presence was beefed up and patrolled 10x. Then came the Starbucks, Jamba Juice and Veggie stores on every corner. New parks, bike trails and mini boutique shops followed.

Overall my old neighborhood looks a whole lot better and is much safer than it used to be but a lot of people got misplaced/force out.

This is what needs to happen to Fremont area.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
DTP basically is gentrification done wrong. If they want to gentrify the neighborhood, then they will have to do it right. You don't start with adding upscale businesses in low income areas. You start from the bottom up. Gotta remove the pan handlers, homeless, drug users, drug pushers, hookers and pimps. All of these entities still dominate the Fremont area.

I'm not new to gentrification. It happened to the neighborhood I grew up in,west side Savannah Georgia. Right before the 1996 Olympics, all low income homes were bought up, fixed up, and rents doubled/tripled. Then leased to all the local college students as off campus "dorms". Police presence was beefed up and patrolled 10x. Then came the Starbucks, Jamba Juice and Veggie stores on every corner. New parks, bike trails and mini boutique shops followed.

Overall my old neighborhood looks a whole lot better and is much safer than it used to be but a lot of people got misplaced/force out.

This is what needs to happen to Fremont area.
LOl, that's Canyon Gate & Summerlin just as much as it is downtown-minus the panhandlers, perhaps. I live in a downtown building where many kool aid drinkers live. I think ultimately Hirsh is a businessman and is looking to turn a profit. That's ok. It's America. The problem is that the traditional model and objectives of Hirsh are perverted and twisted to the point where he is fronted as some altruistic savior figure for downtown. He is not, he is a businessman looking to make a buck, lower his tax rate, and extract concessions from the city and county. Again, this is ok..even laudable. He does what's good for his pockets--if this is good for you too, great;if not, then too bad. It's not his job to solve the social malaise which afflicts this city. He sells shoes. He is not a development and governance guru.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:41 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
LOl, that's Canyon Gate & Summerlin just as much as it is downtown-minus the panhandlers, perhaps. I live in a downtown building where many kool aid drinkers live. I think ultimately Hirsh is a businessman and is looking to turn a profit. That's ok. It's America. The problem is that the traditional model and objectives of Hirsh are perverted and twisted to the point where he is fronted as some altruistic savior figure for downtown. He is not, he is a businessman looking to make a buck, lower his tax rate, and extract concessions from the city and county. Again, this is ok..even laudable. He does what's good for his pockets--if this is good for you too, great;if not, then too bad. It's not his job to solve the social malaise which afflicts this city. He sells shoes. He is not a development and governance guru.
Who is Hirsch? Are you guys talking about Hsieh?

Old 10-06-2014, 11:28 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Seriously. Could some of you at least make an attempt to spell his name correctly? That's so far off I thought it was some other person the first time the name was mentioned. Autocorrect can be overridden, you know.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:20 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,812,265 times
Dang it. I was enjoying the show as they were criticizing the guy when they don't even know what his last name is.

Bill

Old 10-06-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
Dang it. I was enjoying the show as they were criticizing the guy when they don't even know what his last name is.

Bill
How many people spelled his name wrong?

Old 10-06-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
How is this germane to the argument? We could call him Betty Blue and the logic of the argument remains the same. I think you know who I am referring to.

I respect anyone with the vision to create a 1Billion dollar business. I just think he is a business man and attempts to label him as being motivated by any thing other than his bottom line--including long term--is asinine.

He seems like a cool dude though. The young whipper snappers that live in my building who either work for him or socialize with him seem to be infatuated with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: