Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 11:54 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,684,250 times
It is $52/year but it is actually free.

If 2% refund at the year's end is not enough to pay for your membership, they send you a check for the difference.

Costco is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump99 View Post
But a person needs a Costco card which costs money.

So if the card costs $52 a year and you get gas once a week, say a 10 gallon tank of gas...

You are paying $1.00 a week for the privilege of gassing up at at 4¢ per gallon savings, multiplied by your 10 gallon tank in your car is 40¢ total savings, but you are paying $1.00 for that, so you are overpaying by 60¢..so you are in effect paying $3.05 a gallon. Circle K on Eastern is $3.03...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 11:55 AM

Correct, and USDA Prime beef at costco is amazing price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
you're computations don't include the discount savings you get with membership when you buy the 650 tp value pack. or self scoop aspirin.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:57 AM

Costco will save you big money.

Costco unlike Walmart or Sam's club actually lower their prices when supply chain goes down. They make around 2% net profit according to their annual stockholder report.

Quote:
I never been in a Costco or a Sams....I dont feel that I need to pay for a card for the privilege of shopping there. They should be handing me the card.
But the fuel-gas savings is one benefit, I guess and if you're in the area when you need to gas up.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:20 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,024,989 times
Quote:
I should just get a card out of spite and shop, roll my cart in front of you. How is Sams or Costco gas any better than other gases from Chevron? What fuel additive is best?
If that's the kind of person you are....

I don't buy gasoline at Costco because my truck doesn't use gasoline. My wife sometimes buys gas at Costco. But usually she gets gas at Smith's. We shop at Costco for the savings on food, LED light bulbs, the occasional big-ticket electronics item and similar. We look at the Costco card as an asset, not a liability.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:02 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,778,596 times
Costco (since it's the sub topic) is great for reading glasses, computers, TVs, etc because they add an extended warranty on items. We just got the best deal we found anywhere on Directv there. The jury is still out on Directv, however.

In addition to the foodstuff mentioned earlier raw almonds are a great deal.

Before moving here we checked pricing on the items we buy from them and the card pays for itself in less than a year, every year.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:21 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,544,962 times
I just paid $2.94 gal at smith's market...

Old 10-16-2014, 04:15 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,178,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Good! Because it's already too crowded.
I think the membership system help keep the riff raff out. It does get crowded at times.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:50 PM

698 posts, read 988,399 times
The reason we buy gas at Costco is not that it ALWAYS has the cheapest prices, sometimes I can drive a few blocks to the AMPM and find it a couple of cents cheaper. We buy at Costco because it more often than not has the cheapest gas, it's convenient location to our home AND I can pay with my Costco AMEX and get 3% back in Costco dollars. Most other locations credit price is more than their cash price. Or if you pay with debit they charge you a .50 fee which bumps the per gallon cost up a few cents more and suddenly it's not the cheapest. I figure per car we probably get a rebate of about $100 a year for in town travel. Not bad for purchasing something we would anyway. BTW, just paid $3.14 at the Costco on 215 and Decatur

Old 10-17-2014, 12:52 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,024,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I think the membership system help keep the riff raff out. It does get crowded at times.
Much of Costco's revenue comes from those membership cards. Their margins are razor thin (which is good for the customer, after all). I agree about riff raff. But all those free samples must more than offset the riff raff factor, no?

Old 10-17-2014, 07:14 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,178,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Much of Costco's revenue comes from those membership cards. Their margins are razor thin (which is good for the customer, after all). I agree about riff raff. But all those free samples must more than offset the riff raff factor, no?
From the looks of things, I bet some people plan their meals around those free samples. I often see shoppers going back for seconds and thirds, then send their kids to go get more. Could you imagine if Costco didn't have a membership program?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: