Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:22 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,311,975 times

Advertisements

If you file multiple complaints against a nuisance neighbor/dog you get referred to The Neighborhood Justice Center for mediation.

I'd rather address a neighbor directly than with a mediator. That is a relationship that will never be repaired. That said, if they are unreasonable then mediation is an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 09:00 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I don't trust anyone that doesn't like dogs, and who thinks there's a way to make a dog not bark at suspicious noises.
You can't blame, nor punish, a dog for being a dog. But I can blame and punish a person for not seeing that. You people that think there's something wrong with a dog giving the alarm when he hears something he thinks isn't right, or think he shouldn't be allowed to go places with his master, especially if it's not hurting anyone by riding in it's owner's purse, are either ignorant of dogs, or you're the kind of person that would shoot birds for singing, or hate things because they are beautiful. You probably don't like music or art either, and pretty much hate everything unless it's something destructive.

I wonder how many times a neighbor's barking dog has kept your homes from being broken into. You might be surprised.

Anyway, that's the way I see you, and I have plenty of good reason to believe that.
And if only dogs were as intelligent as ferrets, who make no noise!

Being up all night, on my days off, I take walks with my ferret anywhere between 2am and 5am, and we're as quiet as mice as we walk about the neighborhood. We're no danger to any homeowners! But why can't dogs perceive that!!! And if they're there to protect their owners, then stop the unnecessary barking and don't disturb your owner's sleep!

Any number of times, a dog will see us from a fence, and start to barking, and then set off a chain reaction of other neighbor's dogs barking in tandem!

Ferrets are nocturnal, you can't walk them during day time hours, and I'm among the 24,000 nightshift workers in this city, what other choices do I/we have?

I would never own a dog, certainly not in my townhouse complex, with potential noise violation fines! I had a co-worker in a different townhouse complex, and the HOA was very strict about dog barking. 2 complaints and good-bye to the dog!

According to NoiseFreeAmerica, the #1 reason for people relocating in this country, revolves around noise/noisy neighbors, so think about that when considering buying a home!

Old 10-24-2014, 11:16 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And if only dogs were as intelligent as ferrets, who make no noise!

Being up all night, on my days off, I take walks with my ferret anywhere between 2am and 5am, and we're as quiet as mice as we walk about the neighborhood. We're no danger to any homeowners! But why can't dogs perceive that!!! And if they're there to protect their owners, then stop the unnecessary barking and don't disturb your owner's sleep!

Any number of times, a dog will see us from a fence, and start to barking, and then set off a chain reaction of other neighbor's dogs barking in tandem!

Ferrets are nocturnal, you can't walk them during day time hours, and I'm among the 24,000 nightshift workers in this city, what other choices do I/we have?

I would never own a dog, certainly not in my townhouse complex, with potential noise violation fines! I had a co-worker in a different townhouse complex, and the HOA was very strict about dog barking. 2 complaints and good-bye to the dog!

According to NoiseFreeAmerica, the #1 reason for people relocating in this country, revolves around noise/noisy neighbors, so think about that when considering buying a home!
No loud noise, that is. Unless you have 7 or 8 of them all "duk duking" at once. I ran a ferret rescue service years ago, and had a room in my house specifically for ferrets. It was like a little disneyland for them. Tons of tubes, tunnels, hammocks, etc. And they can get quite cacophonous when they want to! LOL

Old 10-24-2014, 08:14 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
There must be an intelligence difference with dogs, as we've run into a few dogs at night, on our walks, who come right up to us in the fence, merely acknowledge us, and no barking at all!

Old 10-24-2014, 09:41 PM

21 posts, read 28,496 times
When you buy a house, you have an expectation to be able to enjoy it.
Hey I didn't buy the loud, barking Labrador outside my bedroom window. I didn't expect to have to deal with the loud barking Labrador, if I wanted one, I would own one.
I bought a house, the Labrador has no rights. With video evidence the owners were forced to debark their dog.
Their choice, they could have trained it. One more complaint from me and the city will remove the dog from the city.
Dogs bark, but they can be trained. If owners do not care that the dog's barking is disrupting their neighbors, they can also be trained.
Buy the house. Record every time the barking is excessive. Your neighbors can move with their dog or train their dog to not be a nuisance and disrupt the neighborhood.
Hey, I get that dogs bark. But why do I have to deal with something because you choose to buy it? It is no different than buying a rooster in a residential neighborhood.
For the record, I bought a notoriously loud, shrill, non stop barking breed of dog. And I trained it not to bark because I realized, my neighbors didnt choose to buy this dog, why should they have to live with it's noise. They own their houses and should be able to live in them with peace. No dog has more rights than the property owners.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:42 AM

822 posts, read 2,201,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miro View Post
When you buy a house, you have an expectation to be able to enjoy it.
Hey I didn't buy the loud, barking Labrador outside my bedroom window. I didn't expect to have to deal with the loud barking Labrador, if I wanted one, I would own one.
I bought a house, the Labrador has no rights. With video evidence the owners were forced to debark their dog.
Their choice, they could have trained it. One more complaint from me and the city will remove the dog from the city.
Dogs bark, but they can be trained. If owners do not care that the dog's barking is disrupting their neighbors, they can also be trained.
Buy the house. Record every time the barking is excessive. Your neighbors can move with their dog or train their dog to not be a nuisance and disrupt the neighborhood.
Hey, I get that dogs bark. But why do I have to deal with something because you choose to buy it? It is no different than buying a rooster in a residential neighborhood.
For the record, I bought a notoriously loud, shrill, non stop barking breed of dog. And I trained it not to bark because I realized, my neighbors didnt choose to buy this dog, why should they have to live with it's noise. They own their houses and should be able to live in them with peace. No dog has more rights than the property owners.
So very true. I believe self-responsibility is lacking in our society.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:13 AM

775 posts, read 775,812 times
Funny how quiet, considerate neighbors have mellow, guilt dogs. The a$$hole owners are the problem. They can't keep their own gobs shut, so to expect that from their dogs is like peeing in the wind.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:31 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
There must be an intelligence difference with dogs, as we've run into a few dogs at night, on our walks, who come right up to us in the fence, merely acknowledge us, and no barking at all!
How much dogs bark is in no way tied to intelligence or lack there-of. Come on. That's ridiculous. Comparing dogs to ferrets is ridiculous. That would be like saying "my cat is better than your dog because she doesn't bark." Well of course she doesn't. She is a CAT. And a ferret is a ferret. Apples and oranges.

http://www.cesarsway.com/tips/proble...use-of-barking

Old 10-28-2014, 05:47 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
How much dogs bark is in no way tied to intelligence or lack there-of. Come on. That's ridiculous. Comparing dogs to ferrets is ridiculous. That would be like saying "my cat is better than your dog because she doesn't bark." Well of course she doesn't. She is a CAT. And a ferret is a ferret. Apples and oranges.

http://www.cesarsway.com/tips/proble...use-of-barking

Besides a stranger these dogs probably see the ferret running around, that probably doesn't help.

My dog is not an outside barker thank goodness.

I used to have a ferret- he was fine with running around my house for a few hours. I actually think ferrets are more work than a dog.

As for the OP, it's hard to say if that dog would be a problem or not. Did you look in their backyard? Was there a dog house, poop everywhere, can you tell if they have a dog door? Being that the house is for sale it has more foot traffic than usual which is going to set off the dog.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:03 PM

822 posts, read 2,201,758 times
We got the house and when I was working on it the other day the dog was barking away next door. I'll go over and politely introduce myself to my neighbor and discuss it with him/her. Hopefully besides dealing with the issue I can make a new friend who will look out for my home just as I can look out for their home. Most of this of course is dependent upon of the owner of the dog is self responsible and takes into consideration that not everyone who lives around them wants to hear their dog barking most of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas