Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 08:11 PM

83 posts, read 266,256 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been wanting to move to the area for 4 years now. I just finished grad school in June and I have been actively looking for employment in LV since then. I've worked in a university setting for 8 years, so I have experience in higher ed, but haven't had any call backs from UNLV or CSN, etc. I'm just becoming discouraged that we will never be able to move to the area. It's just really depressing to think that my next dream may not come true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 10:47 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,680,050 times
Vegas is tricky when it comes to out of state resumes and people with degrees.

Nepotism is wide spread.

Keep trying but with different approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mre0609 View Post
My husband and I have been wanting to move to the area for 4 years now. I just finished grad school in June and I have been actively looking for employment in LV since then. I've worked in a university setting for 8 years, so I have experience in higher ed, but haven't had any call backs from UNLV or CSN, etc. I'm just becoming discouraged that we will never be able to move to the area. It's just really depressing to think that my next dream may not come true

Old 10-16-2014, 11:43 PM

529 posts, read 512,460 times
I don't think you are going to have any great success getting a job here until you actually move here. There are just too many flakes, even among those already here.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:19 AM

399 posts, read 694,103 times
Many employers including large ones, will not give any consideration to a out of state employment application.

If it is possible for you to move here, with have a cushion of at least 6 months money for expenses, you will find better luck in your job search.

Wish you nothing but the best.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:39 AM

anyone from out of state had any luck with their job search?

Old 10-17-2014, 09:29 AM

326 posts, read 200,804 times
Started my search 6 months prior to moving here, have been here a year.get more than 2 interviews a month, and only once got a courtesy email afterwards.Previous colleagues can't believe I haven't been able to get a job here.Even though I'm in a profession, employers here like to hire with no experience and "train" them. And, (correctly)it appears they know how tough it is to work for 1/2 the pay I'm used to.
The 1st question at interviews is always "what brings you to Vegas"
A dental highgenist? Once told me to make sure prospective employers know its a permanent move.
I've found it very discouraging.
There are a lot of post secondary schools here for you to look at.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:36 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,421,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mre0609 View Post
anyone from out of state had any luck with their job search?
I applied for 2 jobs and I got 2 job offers and accepted 1 while living out of state.

"How on earth did you do that?" I am sure is what everyone is asking!

Well I had a local address and phone number on my resume and most of my interviews were over the phone and when the employers wanted to meet in person it was never a matter of, can you come interview in an hour, but rather, can you come into the office and interview next Tuesday at 9AM, which allowed plenty of time for me to make arrangements to get there.

Everyone can provide a local phone number thanks to Google Voice or a throw away PAYG phone. Companies are not going to send things to your home until you are hired, if even then. Therefore putting a bogus address on a resume should not be a problem and just update your address as soon as you are hired and have a place to stay. Though it might be better if you have a friend or family member in the area with an address you can borrow. I know that crosses some ethical boundaries but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Finally, be willing to show up in town for an interview if offered at a moment's notice.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:18 AM

14 posts, read 20,416 times
I agree with C_A. My husband was fortunate that the company he intereviewed with knew he was from out of state and even paid for his flight and hotel for the night. I had one phone interview while being out of state. They did know I was planning on relocating and by the time I go to Vegas they had already hired the person. If I had to do it again I would do what C_A said.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:50 AM

So, can I borrow an address? Just kidding! I printed out the form from the post office to reserve myself a P.O. Box and will get my Google Voice # changed to a LV area code. This would definitely be a permanent move for us if a job ever pans out. Thanks all!

Old 10-17-2014, 11:59 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
you don't want a po box.. you need an address…

i wont even interview a person with an out of state address or po box..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas