Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2014, 10:13 AM

18 posts, read 23,756 times

Advertisements

Lived in Vegas about 2.5 years now and looking to finally buy rather than rent. We focused most of our search in the Aliante/Northwest part of town until yesterday. Our realtor asked us to check out a property up in Sunrise Mountain and my wife and I fell in love with it. The house, and holy crap the view of the valley is amazing. Other than the obvious negative of being a little far removed from things does anyone have any other detractors for that particular area? Like I said, we are a little unfamiliar with that area and am looking for any input.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 10:18 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Nice area up there! Very nice! You could pick far worse!

Old 12-17-2014, 11:45 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFRET14 View Post
Lived in Vegas about 2.5 years now and looking to finally buy rather than rent. We focused most of our search in the Aliante/Northwest part of town until yesterday. Our realtor asked us to check out a property up in Sunrise Mountain and my wife and I fell in love with it. The house, and holy crap the view of the valley is amazing. Other than the obvious negative of being a little far removed from things does anyone have any other detractors for that particular area? Like I said, we are a little unfamiliar with that area and am looking for any input.

Thanks!
Search the forum. I have listed the pros and cons of Sunrise Manor many, many times.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:45 AM

499 posts, read 1,059,597 times
Just ask Scoop, he is the resident expert for that area.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:16 PM

222 posts, read 225,985 times
There should just be an East Side Apologist sticky.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:06 PM

18 posts, read 23,756 times
I tried to do a search but all I came up with were older posts. I will try again.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:56 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFRET14 View Post
I tried to do a search but all I came up with were older posts. I will try again.
All the the posts I've made about Sunrise are still topical.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:38 PM

112 posts, read 148,597 times
We bought our house up here (east of Hollywood between Bonanza and Washington) July of 2013 and we love it here. It's been super quiet and yes, the view is amazing if you have one. I look out our back windows every night and I feel like I'm on the set of a talk show. LOL.

Agree with Scoop that all the prior posts about this area are still valid. My personal preference, if buying over here, would be to purchase in a place that has an HOA, which we do. There's an area south of here, south of Bonanza, that I call the Wild West, where there's some beautiful houses but also a bunch of junk in people's yards and the random piece of graffiti or dumped furniture or electronics here and there. Many of the houses are incredible (HUGE McMansions, along with some standouts; a geodesic dome, a-frame, a Victorian house, one that looks like a pagoda, etc) but it's really hit or miss over there.

You definitely get more nature up here (roadrunners, quail, rabbits, chipmunks, lizards, snakes, foxes and coyotes) which I consider a plus. I mentioned it's quiet and it generally is. However, occasionally they route the planes from McCarran over here so you get some noise from that sometimes. More common is planes coming from Nellis, but it doesn't bother us. Personally, we love that we get to watch the Thunderbirds practice from the comfort of our own backyard.

The one big drawback is yes, you're far from just about everything you want to do. There's a decent Albertson's up here where I do much of my regular grocery shopping. If the house you're looking at is near Bonanza, we've found that Bonanza to Eastern is by far the fastest route to the 93/95/515. Our vet is over on Rainbow and we can get there in 20 minutes most times. Once got to the Mandalay Bay from here in just over twenty minutes as well. We don't have a daily commute because we work from home, but the distance from the freeways will be something to consider if you do have to be on the roads at rush hour.

All in all we love it up here and are thrilled we were able to purchase here. Our house would probably cost nearly double with this view and this much land if it was in a more "desirable" part of the valley, and this setup in LA/Hollywood would probably cost $2 million, I'm guessing. We feel like we kind of stumbled onto a hidden gem. We actually had realtors steering us away from this area, but we got some good info from people like ScoopLV and I'm glad we listened to him instead of the naysayers.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:40 PM

168 posts, read 212,263 times
It's all about personal preference.

Freeway access is garbage and everything that is nice is at least 30 mins away...because there isn't much that is nice out here. At least anymore.

If you stay to your own neighborhood, don't care to go out much and don't mind the occasional drive...it's not too bad.

The crime and poverty level is slowly creeping up to sunrise mountain though.
You'll find only a few nicer neighborhoods below (west of) Hollywood now. Most have taken a downhill turn the last 5 years.

If you're married and no kids. Pretty good area.
If you have kids...I'd stay away.
If you're young & single...probably worst area in all of Vegas to live.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:19 AM

66 posts, read 77,076 times
Thought you guys might be interested:

Zillow nominates Sunrise Manor as Rocket Ships (low values, high growth)

Fun With Data: What

Last edited by SF-LV-NY; 12-22-2014 at 01:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas