Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 05:45 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,369,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
How about I.E.D.s, bombs, missiles and landmines... are they neutral too? I mean, as long as someone doesn't use them on another person, they are neither good nor bad for society, right? It makes you wonder why they are regulated at all, huh?
False parallel fallacy.

Missiles and bombs are deliberately used on someone with intent to harm. Dunno what IED stands for, maybe incendiary explosive device (not sure how that's different from a bomb). Landmines are a defensive weapon generally used in combat, though unfortunately after battle they become a problem for civilians.

What are guns? These are a handheld weapon, entrusted to the public. Therein lies the distinction. You know what happens to most guns in a civilized society? Stuffed into a closet. You know what happens to people without guns in uncivilized societies? They usually get brutalized (often by thugs calling themselves "police"). You know what happens to women without guns? They get raped.

Guns are neutral. Because unlike weapons of war, they can be used to defend one's life and one's liberty. Or some nutcase can use them to hurt other people. Or the government can use them to hurt other people.

As to the OP, violence has always existed. You can start at any time deciding to respond in kind. Or you can simply carry it at home for the odd break-in, to protect your family. Or you can decide to be better than the violence around you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 07:00 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,580,400 times
Channel 13 is reporting that during the standoff, the shooter said he would give up peacefully if they gave him time to get high. Apparently the police complied and now his attorney's are saying the statement he gave right after arrest is inadmissible for that very reason.

Can this story get any weirder?

Old 02-23-2015, 07:47 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Channel 13 is reporting that during the standoff, the shooter said he would give up peacefully if they gave him time to get high. Apparently the police complied and now his attorney's are saying the statement he gave right after arrest is inadmissible for that very reason.

Can this story get any weirder?
Hang on this baby has legs. And they still have not picked up the driver who is likely to add another dimension.

And the fascinating thing is a huge amount of the reporting is being driven by the English press. And they are not very good at penetrating this part of Las Vegas. But they are making it up as they go along.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:50 PM

15,864 posts, read 14,491,391 times
It doesn't make the shooter any less guilty. It's pretty clear motive for premeditated murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I wonder that, if true, this revelation* would change the minds of the people who previously demanded that this poor woman's death must be avenged. I guess they'll change their tune to, "OK, so maybe she was buying cocaine. And maybe brought her children and firearms to a drug deal gone bad. But she doesn't deserve to die over that, now does she?"

* Drugs? You don't say! I cannot imagine for the life of me how drugs might be involved with this story. I'm shocked! Shocked, I say.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:01 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,951,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Basically yes. The US has stockpiles of the the nastiest crap you can imagine (nuclear weapons, chemical weapons, and, if you dig deep enough I'm sure there are biological weapons, or at least the cultures they'd need ot make them.) There all sitting there, for decades, doing exactly nothing.

In point of fact, the nukes have keep us from having a big, global war for 70 years. That used to be a 25 year or so event before we invented them.

It's basically the same as someone having a gun in their sock drawer or on their belt, just on a larger scale.
You lost me at "Basically yes."

You completely missed the entire point. It's a classic example of your political ideology trumping common sense.

Those nukes, chemical weapons and bio-weapons (and any other military device) are RESTRICTED BY LAW because they kill people, often times en masse. Sorry, but only a complete fool would equate a nuke as just another inanimate object. Bad logic.

If those things are all highly regulated (and downright forbidden) for personal use by the government, ask yourself why. You can go shoot a machine gun down he street, but you can't practice RPG shooting and I don't hear the NRA gun nuts complaining about that fact.... weird huh?

Old 02-23-2015, 10:08 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,951,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
False parallel fallacy.

Missiles and bombs are deliberately used on someone with intent to harm. Dunno what IED stands for, maybe incendiary explosive device (not sure how that's different from a bomb). Landmines are a defensive weapon generally used in combat, though unfortunately after battle they become a problem for civilians.

What are guns? These are a handheld weapon, entrusted to the public. Therein lies the distinction. You know what happens to most guns in a civilized society? Stuffed into a closet. You know what happens to people without guns in uncivilized societies? They usually get brutalized (often by thugs calling themselves "police"). You know what happens to women without guns? They get raped.

Guns are neutral. Because unlike weapons of war, they can be used to defend one's life and one's liberty. Or some nutcase can use them to hurt other people. Or the government can use them to hurt other people.

As to the OP, violence has always existed. You can start at any time deciding to respond in kind. Or you can simply carry it at home for the odd break-in, to protect your family. Or you can decide to be better than the violence around you.
Using your logic, everything you just said above about guns could be applied to grenades, flame-throwers and rocket launchers. Are they "neutral" too? Why are they so highly regulated and why aren't 2nd Amendment proponents up in arms about that? If we supposedly live in this utopian free society protected by the Constitution, we would have grenade shops on every corner in Las Vegas. There's inconsistency in logic here.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:48 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,421,606 times
Wouldn't it be great if the driver turned out to be the "distraught" husband of the "victim"? Maybe that's why he was not home.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:03 AM

391 posts, read 1,030,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
You lost me at "Basically yes."
You can go shoot a machine gun down he street, but you can't practice RPG shooting and I don't hear the NRA gun nuts complaining about that fact.... weird huh?
Okay. That "machine gun" is an NFA (slang is Class 3) weapon. Guess what? So is that RPG. And its/their ownership is highly regulated.

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion...I care not for said debate.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 847 times
robert meyers, the husband of tammy meyers, finally admits today that the death of tammy meyers was not due to road rage.

Husband of Tammy Meyers admits shooting not related to road rage

By Joyce Lupiani. CREATED 3:20 PM
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- The husband of Tammy Meyers, the mother of four who was shot outside of her home, is speaking out today, just one day after the suspect appeared in court for the first time.

Robert Meyers says his children were too traumatized in the early days after the shooting to tell him and Las Vegas police detectives the full story of what happened the night his wife was killed. He says that is why his account has changed so drastically over the last couple of weeks.He now admits that the shooting was not related to road rage.

Robert Meyers spoke out in an interview with ABC News, which aired on "Good Morning America."

Attorneys for Erich Nowsch are preparing to argue that the 19 year old was in fear of his life and acted in self-defense.

Nowsch's attorneys say they are trying to figure out why their client's story is so different from the Meyers family.

He is due back in court. At that time, a judge is expected to decide whether or not the case can move forward.

Las Vegas District Attorney Steve Wolfson says he is not ruling out the possibility of seeking the death penalty in the case.

Husband of Tammy Meyers admits shooting not related to road rage - www.ktnv.com

Old 02-24-2015, 07:33 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,580,400 times
I heard on talk radio on the way home from work that the mother of Tammy Meyers is calling for forgiveness and does not want the DA to go for the death sentence...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: