Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 09:12 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,075,723 times

Advertisements

Decatur and Trop is not exactly the nicest part of town.

Driving around Anthem and Summerlin, I don't see shady people walking around nor would I feel unsafe at pretty much any of the gas stations.

I wouldn't live just anywhere in Las Vegas (nor would I in any city).

Violent crime has been trending down across the country for decades pretty much since the decline of the crack epidemic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by single_momlv View Post
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I checked LVRJ online again tonight and first news is that some women got stabbed with a knife inside Wallgreens Store on Decatur and Tropicana.

I really think the crime and violence in Las Vegas is getting out of control. I see all kind of shady people on the streets when I drive. I'm afraid to stop at most gas stations and only use two that I feel are safe for me to get out of a car and get some gas.

I seriously think about leaving Las Vegas and I think crime in this city is just going to get worse and worse. Something is not right.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:41 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
The biggest problem is the media. They feel the need to over report crimes because they think it sells. That's why I rarely watch the news and don't take the newspaper here, since it's the worst paper I've ever read. What a piece of crap. I miss the crossword puzzles, but the junk I have to wade through to get to it isn't worth it.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:42 AM

15,867 posts, read 14,495,108 times
In a metropolitan area of two million people, you're always going to have some violent incidents. The question is, are there more or less of them than there has been historically, and how many of them are there compared to other similar sized metro areas.

Keep in mind the news outlets have to make money, and if it bleeds, it leads.

Quote:
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I checked LVRJ online again tonight and first news is that some women got stabbed with a knife inside Wallgreens Store on Decatur and Tropicana.

I really think the crime and violence in Las Vegas is getting out of control. I see all kind of shady people on the streets when I drive. I'm afraid to stop at most gas stations and only use two that I feel are safe for me to get out of a car and get some gas.

I seriously think about leaving Las Vegas and I think crime in this city is just going to get worse and worse. Something is not right.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:13 PM

698 posts, read 986,660 times
Quote:

First and foremost I'm not stupid, I know this is a anti-vegas shill post, don't insult us, look at how most have answered your questions. Duh!

That said, for the benefit of someone reading your shill post who might not be familiar with Vegas here I go; Give me a break, I just picked three random newspapers, Austin, Portland and San Diego and all reference murders, assaults, shooting, body found in river etc. Pick any major city and you'll find this, Vegas is no different. Give me a break, I think Silvertown might be for you (see picture below).

Where are you driving that you see all these shady people that you fear, and what gas stations are you going to? Please provide some cross streets. Maybe it's the area you live in as I can say we see none of what you reference where we live. Could I go find it, does it exist here, sure, shady characters exist everywhere. Just checked with my wife and asked her if she's ever been afraid to stop at a gas station and she said no. We've been here three years. She visits the area of Jones and Lake Mead several times a week, not great area. Has gassed-up there, gone to the outdoor ATM at the Wells Fargo at that intersection; again, not best area, quite diverse make-up but no fear.

I agree you should seriously think about leaving Vegas, or frequent better neighborhoods. Does Vegas have crime, yes, so does insert your city here _______.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:16 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,001,725 times
Heroin is hitting neighborhoods like the one pictured above -- hard. Real hard. Heroin use has skyrocketed. And it's skyrocketing in small towns which historically never had drug problems like that.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:27 PM

698 posts, read 986,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Heroin is hitting neighborhoods like the one pictured above -- hard. Real hard. Heroin use has skyrocketed. And it's skyrocketing in small towns which historically never had drug problems like that.
Agreed, even more of a reason for the shill to go there.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:06 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times
The basic premise is false. Crime is down substantially in LV and the US over the last decades. It is a great deal safer than it was 25 years ago or 10 years ago.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:12 PM

661 posts, read 632,057 times
Quote:

Unfortunately, this happens in every city in the world. LVRJ reports every major crime on a daily basis. It does get old reading the same storyline every day.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:18 PM

661 posts, read 632,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
There's perception and then there is reality.

I subscribe to 8newsnow.com email updates, and if you only look at the headlines, I have to agree with the OP, it seems like crime is running rampant. The reality may be that crime levels are average compared to other metropolitan areas of similar size, but depending on your media source, you may be getting a very distorted view of reality.
I live in a middle class neighborhood. The only crime I have personally experienced is when my kids left their scooters outside overnight. They were stolen and my kids learned a valuable lesson.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:44 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
I recently read (Reddit maybe) that the crime rate has dropped because of the removal of lead from paint and other products. The curve steepened after the last generation that was heavily exposed to it died off.

Of course drugs have taken over the "drive people crazy" part of society now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas