Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 02:04 PM

24 posts, read 19,195 times

Advertisements

We 've just moved to Henderson, NV for our retirement.
Got the new home and asking a builder to quote for a backyard in ground concrete swimming pool (14x28) and 3-5ft deep - w/ spa.

Here are my questions ( to help me making a decision):
1/ How is your backyard pool ? pros and cons ?
2/ How do you feel about your maintenance cost ?
3/ is it helping your living styles ?
4/ is it help you to beat the heat in summer time ?
5/ 50K total cost to build one as described above is reasonable ?
6/ which swimming pool builder in LV that you are recommended ?

Thank you very much for your time and considering on this matter.
very appreciated.
Best regards,
Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 02:10 PM

347 posts, read 513,162 times
I would not have a tile layer at the waterline. I have spent the last month scraping the limescale off 350 tiles.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:20 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,878,017 times
The trick with a pool is to never calculate the cost per use. Every time you think about doing it, just stop.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:26 PM

638 posts, read 596,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisSuarez View Post
I would not have a tile layer at the waterline. I have spent the last month scraping the limescale off 350 tiles.
I had mine bead blasted, bit of a waste of money since it's only been a year and looks as bad as it did before.

What did you use to scrape them?

Old 08-18-2015, 02:31 PM

347 posts, read 513,162 times

Old 08-18-2015, 03:35 PM

561 posts, read 684,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisSuarez View Post
If you have problems with scaling, that's a pretty good indicator your Calcium Saturation Index is too high. There are a few factor, but the most significant are the pH level and your calcium level. Our water is pretty hard, so you really have to keep an eye on your pH. On the other hand, if you keep your pH a little on the low side, eventually those deposits will dissolve into the water again.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:39 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,654,258 times
I would say SCREW the pool, and get a ABOVE GROUND swim spa.

cheaper, better and a LOT less grief and problems.

Jonathan

Old 08-18-2015, 03:45 PM

848 posts, read 650,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimFree View Post
We 've just moved to Henderson, NV for our retirement.
Got the new home and asking a builder to quote for a backyard in ground concrete swimming pool (14x28) and 3-5ft deep - w/ spa.

Here are my questions ( to help me making a decision):
1/ How is your backyard pool ? pros and cons ?
2/ How do you feel about your maintenance cost ?
3/ is it helping your living styles ?
4/ is it help you to beat the heat in summer time ?
5/ 50K total cost to build one as described above is reasonable ?
6/ which swimming pool builder in LV that you are recommended ?

Thank you very much for your time and considering on this matter.
very appreciated.
Best regards,
Tim
1. While I initially liked having a pool, I think the novelty has worn off. It does make the backyard look nice, but I believe I have spent more time maintaining it than our family has actually used it this summer.
2. I have not had good luck with pool maintenance companies. In fact, the last pool maintenance company put too much salt in the pool so we had to drain it earlier this year and refill it. I take care of the pool myself. I do not spend too much on supplies, but I am growing tired of the time required to maintain the pool. However, I believe if you want your pool maintained properly you should take care of it yourself.
3. I believe we could probably live without a pool at this point.
4. It has been nice having a pool the last few days, but I do not think it is essential to have a pool.
5. and 6. We are not the original owners of our home so I will have to defer to others on construction costs and which builders are reputable.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:49 PM

15,882 posts, read 14,545,329 times
From everything I've ever heard, a pool is not something you want to build. You want to buy a house where the previous owner built the pool. Pools never add as much value as they cost. If you buy a house with a pool, you get the pool at a discount.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:02 PM

2,566 posts, read 2,750,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
From everything I've ever heard, a pool is not something you want to build. You want to buy a house where the previous owner built the pool. Pools never add as much value as they cost. If you buy a house with a pool, you get the pool at a discount.

I agree with you 100% or find a house on a pool sized lot that is $50,000 under what you planned on spending and then build the pool.

I would not have a house in Las Vegas without a pool. We use it all the time and the maintenance has been hardly anything.

I would just like to find a way to heat it all year. We have solar panels on the roof for the pool that need to be replaced but I'm not sure it would be worth it. I have heard you only get a couple of months extra heating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: