Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 02:17 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smck9 View Post
Oh, and one last thing-- could I be wrong? Yes, completely, of course. You may be right and it may be entirely worse than every other district.
If you people would just do a little bit of Internet search you would see that I am correct in my opinion of the schools there. Places like Morgan Quitno Press, among others, put out statistics ranking schools across the nation. Nevada year after year ranks near the bottom as one of the worst school systems in the country. Right now Nevada is ranked 48 out of 50 states for almost the worst schools in the country. Sugar coat it any way you want, the stastitics are there and I have the experience to concur that the information is true. While most school districts have a few bad or poor schools, Vegas has more than it's fair share. In Vegas it's the other way around, it's majority crappy schools with a couple of decent or okay ones mixed in.

Here's a thought, try sending your kid to one for a year and see what happens. Or go to work in one and see what happens. Your opinion may change when YOU actually have experience with the schools in the district, especially if you have experience with several of them, or in my case many of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2006, 03:47 PM

7 posts, read 21,639 times
Interestingly enough, for one who expounds the use of internet research, you are actually incorrect: http://www.morganquitno.com/edrank06.htm.

And yes, it is worse than you said, but the irony is still there.

Lastly, I get it, okay. I am not sugar-coating anything; I never did. They are bad. They are some of the worst in the nation. Fine.

Old 11-18-2006, 05:01 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
If you people would just do a little bit of Internet search you would see that I am correct in my opinion of the schools there. Places like Morgan Quitno Press, among others, put out statistics ranking schools across the nation. Nevada year after year ranks near the bottom as one of the worst school systems in the country. Right now Nevada is ranked 48 out of 50 states for almost the worst schools in the country. Sugar coat it any way you want, the stastitics are there and I have the experience to concur that the information is true. While most school districts have a few bad or poor schools, Vegas has more than it's fair share. In Vegas it's the other way around, it's majority crappy schools with a couple of decent or okay ones mixed in.

Here's a thought, try sending your kid to one for a year and see what happens. Or go to work in one and see what happens. Your opinion may change when YOU actually have experience with the schools in the district, especially if you have experience with several of them, or in my case many of them.
It is trickier than that. The State of Nevada turns out to be one very large school system and one pretty big school system. There are no Substantial rural or suburban populations. Arizona has a similar, though less severe problem. So basically you run a large urban district up against a mix with rural and suburban content.

On top of that both Nevada and Arizona run their schools on the cheap. That is a fair knock on Vegas and Nevada...vastly underfund the schools. So low teacher salaries. Pay is famous as a hygenic variable. People who feel underpaid are very unhappy and sometimes perform badly. On the other side people paid adequately and people well paid perform about the same. I think Vegas below the hygiene level for beginning teachers.

But if you compare Vegas against the twenty large school districts it does reasonably well. Performs significantly better say than San Diego or Los Angeles.

MQ does a similar stunt when it rates metro areas for danger. Las Vegas is not a particularly high crime city but comes out second on the MQ rack. Why? Because Las Vegas is very high in stolen cars...and MQ considers stolen cars as important as murder and rape. So what if Vegas is well back in the pack on violent crime rate...MQ knows better.

MQ sells rackups...and they are obviously good at it...but at truth telling? Nah I don't think so.

Old 11-18-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
MQ sells rackups...and they are obviously good at it...but at truth telling? Nah I don't think so.
Of course you would find fault with the information because it paints an ugly picture and doesn't sell houses for you.

Old 11-18-2006, 05:50 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,582,600 times
My goodness!!! If you two don't stop fighting, I'm going to make you go to different corners for a timeout!

henkelphoto

Old 11-18-2006, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Of course you would find fault with the information because it paints an ugly picture and doesn't sell houses for you.
Get over it. I sell about 70% to seniors and the rest to the very well off. My bag is Sun Cities and 1/2 acre and up rural estates.

I have beem a reasonably serious neighborhood advocate in the NW part of Vegas well before my wife decided that we would sell real estate. I am an officer of the NW Citizens and an officer of the Nevada Well Owners.

You may continue to impugn my motives but it is really a waste of your time. I will continue to stick pins in your "bash Vegas" balloons.

I am a Vegas advocate...and not in the least interested in mis-leading anyone to sell real estate.

Old 11-18-2006, 05:59 PM

Howdy SMCK9!

Seriously, I think if you take a middle of the road between RedWingsFan and Olecap, you'll probably be pretty close to the truth. Obviously, Olecap is very optimistic about Vegas just as RedWingsFan is very pessimistic. I've lived here for about 9 years after a 30-year absence. Prior to that, I lived here an additional 9 years. Vegas has some major problems to address as well as having what some people would describe as a great lifestyle. My advice to you would be to disregard both ends of the spectrum and look to the center.

You will never get RWF and OC to agree on the school system, crime or even if life is possible in Vegas so don't try.

I will admit that my time in Vegas is quickly coming to an end. I would like to move somewhere else where there are four seasons and isn't a frying pan in the summer.

Be aware--I am not a realtor, have never taught in the school system, am not a cop, don't have children and really couldn't care less about how many hispanics are in town, legal or otherwise.

Henkelphoto

Old 11-18-2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henkelphoto View Post
You will never get RWF and OC to agree on the school system, crime or even if life is possible in Vegas so don't try.
I would totally agree with you there!

Old 11-18-2006, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henkelphoto View Post
Howdy SMCK9!

Seriously, I think if you take a middle of the road between RedWingsFan and Olecap, you'll probably be pretty close to the truth. Obviously, Olecap is very optimistic about Vegas just as RedWingsFan is very pessimistic. I've lived here for about 9 years after a 30-year absence. Prior to that, I lived here an additional 9 years. Vegas has some major problems to address as well as having what some people would describe as a great lifestyle. My advice to you would be to disregard both ends of the spectrum and look to the center.

I will admit that my time in Vegas is quickly coming to an end. I would like to move somewhere else where there are four seasons and isn't a frying pan in the summer.

Be aware--I am not a realtor, have never taught in the school system, am not a cop, don't have children and really couldn't care less about how many hispanics are in town, legal or otherwise.

Henkelphoto
You don't happen to be associated with the RJ? You are not that Henkel?

And actually there is no mid way between OC and RWF. It is a plane against a precipice. You are on the plane or over the edge.

And, just to get you a little straighter, I am not particularly positive about Las Vegas. I have not put my personal views at all in this discussion. Pointing out that RWF is wrong in no way suggests Las Vegas does not have problems. Just not the silly ones she sees. She simply dislikes Mexicans. Not a good basis for public policy.

Old 11-18-2006, 08:35 PM

Howdy Olecap!

Well, I could tell you who I work for, but then I'd have to kill you

Trust me though, although you might not think you are positive about Vegas, someone who doesn't know much about the town would say you are. No offense, I feel there are a lot of positives about Vegas. Personally, the only reason I don't feel like living out my life here is the weather. I lived in the midwest for 16 years and I really miss the change of seasons.

Henkelphoto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas