Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 01:41 PM

12 posts, read 12,618 times

Advertisements

As a long time resident of Las Vegas and someone who is considerably involved in the city, I have seen the city grow and turn itself into a good size metropolitan area that has now become competitive with other major metro areas. People are moving here - for one reason or another. Houses are being built. More and more people are becoming longer term residents. However, I think that we are missing a few things that would be the icing on the cake - that would really make more people appreciate living here and create a sense of more community. Its feedback I have heard about from a number of people and also seen on various threads...so here it is:

1. The strip area - especially the north end - needs to be completed finally. Projects once started that went dormant, like the Fountainbleu, need to be addressed in a more timely manner. They are an eyesore. World Resorts has picked up building where the Echelon was to be built and where the Stardust used to be - that's good to see. However, other stalled or undeveloped projects should be completed and make the strip look complete. We can think what we want of the strip - but its a attraction for tourists and pumps money into the local economy.

2. Much talk has been placed on improving transportation here in the valley, even building a light rail. This has been discussed already, but why not utilize the monorail system since its already in place. Expand it not just to the airport, but beyond. Run it further north through downtown and then run it perhaps northwest towards Centennial Hills area. Run it south towards Henderson. Incorporate more tracks/lines as the demand increases. In reality, when you think of the valley and its size, that's adding maybe 20-25 miles of track. The connecting stations don't need to be as elaborate as the ones already build - basic platforms as you find in other cities. Of course, the investment would have to substantiate the return. But I think that would be more feasible than starting from scratch.

3. Re-develop areas around the strip into business friendly areas. I understand this would require cooperation from business and land owners and would present a whole lot of challenge. However, many of the areas surrounding the strip, especially seen when you drive North on the I-15 between Spring Mountain & Sahara, are old storage units, junk yards and other under maintained buildings that attract vandals. Being so close to the tourist area, it simply needs to be redeveloped. If we are going to attract tech and other companies, we need a presentable place where they can run their companies, live, work and play. Anyone who has seen other cities knows that many older areas surrounding their main downtown area were re-developed into tech and live centers. We need some mid rise apartments, business centers, restaurants, and recreational parks to go in there. It wouldn't hurt to re-develop the area between Sahara and downtown also...We need to show the tech and business world that we have world class amenities for them and they should be at the core of the city.

4. The downtown area needs help also and projects are being developed. We shall see where that goes though.

5. The city is in dire need of more family friendly amenities that should of already been here - major zoo, amusement parks, family fun centers (miniature golf, etc.). We already have a scenic area with impressive mountains, Mt Charleston, Red Rock Canyon, and Lake Mead within the vicinity. We even have a Ski Resort within a 30-45 minute drive from the valley for a winter getaway. It might not be Big Bear, but its certainly not bad for being so close to a desert valley. Adding more inner city attractions is really all we need to round things out.

Las Vegas, with its population of 2 million now, can support these projects and more. As major improvements are made, people will be drawn here for not just a quick buck, but will want to settle down here. It will resemble a city with much more foundation and amenities - more diversity. That leads to people wanting to be here. They value where they live. Then in turn, everything else can have a chance to improve - the public school system, real estate values, etc. etc. The infrastructure is already here. We have newer homes mostly, master planned subdivisions, relatively good streets and freeways, city parks throughout. Its just about there...Just my two cents on things...

Last edited by ADI20151; 12-18-2015 at 02:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 03:29 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,676,018 times
Better public transportation. As a child, I remember being in the Bay Area and seeing businessmen, and other well dressed professionals, reading the paper as they waited for the bus. I was never more than a five minute walk from a bus line and once there, never had to wait more than 10 minutes.

I hate driving in Las Vegas. There was never a practical way for me to use the bus system and I would have. To go to UNLV was a three hour trip from my house that required me driving to the nearest bus line.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:38 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,118,948 times
Citizens having the ability to drive.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:52 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Enough C-4 to blow most of the city to kingdom come. And then start from scratch after giving all prospective residents a basic competency test.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:25 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Tying 50 lbs of the local pinkish prickly pear to the the doomers and require they wear it until they leave Clark County.

I will try a more constructive response later but for now...

Old 12-18-2015, 06:28 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,118,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Enough C-4 to blow most of the city to kingdom come. And then start from scratch after giving all prospective residents a basic competency test.

Can we actually build the roads big enough for all the traffic?
Can we have adequate numbers of parking spaces that actually fit cars and trucks?

Old 12-18-2015, 06:34 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
^ That was the idea.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:47 PM

162 posts, read 242,312 times
Less crime, lower gas prices, and friendlier people.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:24 PM

822 posts, read 2,203,212 times
Chick Fil A

Old 12-18-2015, 07:38 PM

611 posts, read 951,402 times
It would be nice to see all the litter picked up regularly everywhere and all those vacant lots and bus stops and shopping mall parking lots littered with garbage kept clean. I think it should be a priority for the whole valley; and perhaps when people consider moving to LV they see a pride in outskirts as well as vacant lots spread throughout the whole city. Other cities don't seem to have this problem in many other states except for those experiencing economic disaster. Even then, if not obligated to pay city employees for cleanup, there is a criminal justice system full of non-violent criminals and delinquent child support violators to do this. I myself wouldn't mind having my taxes raised a bit to pay for keeping my city clean. As well, littering fines and bylaw charges should be increased and bylaw officers should have authority to hand out fines with collections being strengthened for those in and out of state. Nobody wants to move here with their family seeing garbage and needles and condoms laying around and in their travels walking to and from schools and recreational centres and park areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas