Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 11:03 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,998,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasPlayer View Post
You are correct. It is a public road. The church is paying nothing for the acre of land +/- worth somewhere around $700k.

This is the main reason I opposed it. Clark County has no business giving away public land to benefit a religious organization. That isn't just an opinion. The state constitution specifically forbids it.

The commissioners approved it without seeing any actual plan. If the church does not replace the road with a park of the same size in the final proposal, I think it will end up in court.

No real difference between this and North Las Vegas bending over and taking a $350 million [shafting] from Faraday. Same ballpark, different amount. The taxpayers get [shafted]. Just different amounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 11:31 PM

625 posts, read 797,470 times
I used that street to take my dog to the "park". More of an open area but a huge bowl. So nice and all the dogs were friendly.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Being a fairly new resident (and having seen this same crap where I used to live) I wonder how many Clark County Commissioners belong to this church or churches closely connected to it.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:31 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,998,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Being a fairly new resident (and having seen this same crap where I used to live) I wonder how many Clark County Commissioners belong to this church or churches closely connected to it.
That doesn't matter. To vote against this would be "a vote for Satan" as far as the religious are concerned. They would crank the indignance to eleven and declare that the commissioners are waging a war against God.

Commissioners know where their bread is buttered -- the few hundred people directly affected won't offset the "there's a War on Christmas" voting bloc.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:39 PM

Yup. Same garbage that went on where we used to live. Hallefrickinlujah

Old 01-22-2016, 04:34 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,863,936 times
Faith Lutheran bought the land directly across Homestretch for expansion of the school. If Homestretch wasn't closed, you'd have a through road cutting right through the middle of a school. Some people recognized immediately that there was no way Homestretch was ever going to stay in its current location once FL bought the land and supported FL's proposal to move the road south 600 feet. That proposal was rejected by residents (including Peccole Ranch residents), so instead of having one entry from Hualapai, now they have none. Some say the residents got what they deserved.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:42 PM

561 posts, read 681,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
That doesn't matter. To vote against this would be "a vote for Satan" as far as the religious are concerned. They would crank the indignance to eleven and declare that the commissioners are waging a war against God.

Commissioners know where their bread is buttered -- the few hundred people directly affected won't offset the "there's a War on Christmas" voting bloc.
Probably not so much on the religious affiliation. But consider who the commissioners reach by helping Faith Lutheran - folks who are (or have been) able to afford tuition of over $10k/student/year. Folks who helped build multi-million dollar mock trial courtrooms and athletic training facilities.

Yeah.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasPlayer View Post
You are correct. It is a public road. The church is paying nothing for the acre of land +/- worth somewhere around $700k.

This is the main reason I opposed it. Clark County has no business giving away public land to benefit a religious organization. That isn't just an opinion. The state constitution specifically forbids it.

The commissioners approved it without seeing any actual plan. If the church does not replace the road with a park of the same size in the final proposal, I think it will end up in court.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Faith Lutheran bought the land directly across Homestretch for expansion of the school. If Homestretch wasn't closed, you'd have a through road cutting right through the middle of a school. Some people recognized immediately that there was no way Homestretch was ever going to stay in its current location once FL bought the land and supported FL's proposal to move the road south 600 feet. That proposal was rejected by residents (including Peccole Ranch residents), so instead of having one entry from Hualapai, now they have none. Some say the residents got what they deserved.
This is confusing. Which is true?

My opinion just changed if this is true. This puts the problem directly on the homeowners.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:09 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,863,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
This is confusing. Which is true?

My opinion just changed if this is true. This puts the problem directly on the homeowners.
They're both true.

The plot of land they bought on the other side of Homestretch is 10 acres. The 1 acre is the area occupied by Homestretch.

See if this article provides any insight:

Faith Lutheran, residents go head-to-head over road relocation | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Old 01-22-2016, 06:51 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,120,086 times
Theocracy is winning. I can not wait to leave this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas