Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 04:53 PM

670 posts, read 1,104,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
Since you do have a large pool and you get a lot of organic debris in your pool you can use tablets in the warm months and add liquid chlorine to bump it up to desired levels (prob 3ppm free chlor). This will reduce your consumption of liquid chlorine. The only problem you will have is you will increase your CYA by using the tabs and when you creep up to the 100PPM area then you have to dilute you water. You can add a backwash valve (via wasteline) to your pool and control your total CYA by Vacuuming to waste once a week in the months you use the tablets. This would probably be the cheapest method IMO.
If you remember our pool/yard organic debris was an absolute nightmare when you were taking care of the pool. Since then, we've removed all the pine trees from the yard, the association has trimmed up the pine trees on the bluff behind our yard and (thankfully) the house next door, down wind from us where it turns out most of the debris was coming from, sold and the new owner clear cut the entire yard.

We actually get relatively little organic debris in our pool anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 04:55 PM

670 posts, read 1,104,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Wow! The cells have come down in price! I will investigate this!
Apparently from what I've been reading they've come down thousands from where they were a few years ago.

On top of that, I've been reading up on the scaling issues associated with hard water on salt system. It seems by carefully maintaining pool chemistry you can greatly eliminate the issue. PH balance seems to be the key. I'm still researching the topic.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:01 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvette View Post
If you remember our pool/yard organic debris was an absolute nightmare when you were taking care of the pool. Since then, we've removed all the pine trees from the yard, the association has trimmed up the pine trees on the bluff behind our yard and (thankfully) the house next door, down wind from us where it turns out most of the debris was coming from, sold and the new owner clear cut the entire yard.

We actually get relatively little organic debris in our pool anymore.
Wow, that is good news! It was pretty bad back then. Take a look at this website

Chlorine Genie Inc. The Ultimate Pool Chlorinator Let me know what you think. I know the local distributer for this product and it really works well. I've seen it in action on a commercial pool and its really great. Downside is cost like any salt water generation systems. But this one is the only one that you do not have to clean the cell and you do not add any salt to your pool. Salt water pools are alkaline and always a problem to keep PH under control.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:26 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
I can't say what's best, but I know what isn't: stabilized chlorine.

WestieJeff had a good post on the pros and cons of an SWG after living with it for a year or two. Do a search for it.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:20 PM

There use to be a good option which was Chlorine gas(no cya). I use to use it until they banned it. You can still buy it but for most people it can be dangerous if you do not know what you are doing.

Other options are- Liquid chlorine (no cya), Calcium Hypo (no cya) use to come in tablets but only in granular form now. Lithium Hypo Chlor (not available anymore), Salt Water CL generation (no cya). All these are not stabilized forms.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:53 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
Quote:
There use to be a good option which was Chlorine gas(no cya). I use to use it until they banned it. You can still buy it but for most people it can be dangerous if you do not know what you are doing.
I'd never in a million years consider handling and storing a cylinder of chlorine gas myself.

Pool Chlor sanitizes with gaseous chlorine, or at least they used to. In fact, they were the first pool service I ever used. They throw this thing that looks like a big rectangle made out of PVC tubing into your pool, turn on the gas, and out come the bubbles.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I'd never in a million years consider handling and storing a cylinder of chlorine gas myself.

Pool Chlor sanitizes with gaseous chlorine, or at least they used to. In fact, they were the first pool service I ever used. They throw this thing that looks like a big rectangle made out of PVC tubing into your pool, turn on the gas, and out come the bubbles.
Yes everyone used it at one time if you have been around pools a long time. It was very cheap and effective.
There were ways to deliver it safely but most guys would not go that route. I do not think anyone in town uses this method unless its a large commercial pool. Commercial pools also use liquid electronic feeders for chlorine and acid. MGM pool back in 2010 had a feeder malfunction(liquid chlorine) and sent 26 people to the hospital for fumes.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:58 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Wow, that is good news! It was pretty bad back then. Take a look at this website

Chlorine Genie Inc. The Ultimate Pool Chlorinator Let me know what you think. I know the local distributer for this product and it really works well. I've seen it in action on a commercial pool and its really great. Downside is cost like any salt water generation systems. But this one is the only one that you do not have to clean the cell and you do not add any salt to your pool. Salt water pools are alkaline and always a problem to keep PH under control.
What does a typical installation cost as a retrofit?

ALSO -- do you have an opinion on this? http://neverdrainyourpool.com/what-is-it/

Old 05-22-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
What does a typical installation cost as a retrofit?

ALSO -- do you have an opinion on this? How It Works - Never Drain Your Pool... PuriPool!
No sure on costs but I think its around 3K. I've never installed one before but I've seen one working and it produces chlorinated water and drips into the pool at a regulated rate. There are guys that use the never drain you pool and it works, but I think the costs are higher than actually just draining the pool. Most people think when you drain a pool it goes to waste, but most of it is recycled via the water treatment plant. As long as you drain the pool to your sewer system and not the storm drain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: