Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 05:45 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,115,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
One of the bigger issues I see is that your personal insurance will likely get terminated if they discover you're driving commercially. I know uber offers insurance while you're driving but I'm not sure that changes anything.

I will be talking to my insurance once the background check comes in. I won't keep them in the dark about it.

If I have to drive 12 hours a day for a bit, that's fine. I've had 7 months off work, got to make up for lost time. If I drove cab it would be 12 hours a day in a filthy car and they'd take 70%.

700 a week gets me by, that's less than half of what they say you can earn, so if I do just that I'll be just fine and dandy. Worst case scenario I go back to construction when resort world, alon, or the convention center starts up. (IF)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 04:09 AM

30 posts, read 28,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
If I needed extra income and was motivated enough, I would buy the cheapest brand new car in the country right now. 2016 Nissan Versa for $11,500.(27-36 mpg) Then sign up for uber and drive 8-10 hours a day for 5-6 days a week. Perfect part time gig that could make full time income.

Nissan Versa - 10 cheapest new cars in America - CNNMoney

Quick question:

Has anyone heard of someone creating a LLC to operate as an uber driver? This way the driver could purchase a vehicle for work use and benefit with the work vehicle as a tax write off.
i like this. use legal zoom to form your llc. very ez.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:22 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
...drive 12 hours a day for a bit
Half days - sweet.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:28 AM

661 posts, read 631,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I will be talking to my insurance once the background check comes in. I won't keep them in the dark about it.

If I have to drive 12 hours a day for a bit, that's fine. I've had 7 months off work, got to make up for lost time. If I drove cab it would be 12 hours a day in a filthy car and they'd take 70%.

700 a week gets me by, that's less than half of what they say you can earn, so if I do just that I'll be just fine and dandy. Worst case scenario I go back to construction when resort world, alon, or the convention center starts up. (IF)
Since you are an accident waiting to happen, rideshare insurance is a must. Right now Farmer's and maybe Allstate are the only options. 80% of the rides are on the Strip or going to the Strip. Be prepared for lots of traffic and crazy drivers.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:07 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usnftcret View Post
Since you are an accident waiting to happen, rideshare insurance is a must. Right now Farmer's and maybe Allstate are the only options. 80% of the rides are on the Strip or going to the Strip. Be prepared for lots of traffic and crazy drivers.
He's a former cabbie. He knows exactly what he's getting into.

There used to be another cabbie on here that went by a username like Cyborgt800 or something. That guy had some stories. Cracked me up all the time.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:21 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
As a cab driver in Boston, I'm a bit reluctant to try Uber or Lyft full-time.

Why? It seems as if rideshare drivers rack up mileage at least double or more than taxis, at least with the layout of Boston and some other cities.

In a cab, I sit around much of my shift, reading or resting and waiting for walkups. Sometimes I get a street hail while dropping off or heading back to a favorite cabstand... so that's not really going out of the way for that fare

In 12 hours, I may put fewer than 70 miles on a slow night. A busy night may be 120-155 miles but only a couple times monthly. Contrast an Uber driver needing to accept most pings or risk warnings, timeouts or suspension...and he sometimes drives 5-10 miles for a fare that goes down the block, netting him less than $3 after Uber fees...before expenses.

If one drives full-time, it seems it would be too many miles, too much fatigue, and too much risk of accidents and tix.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:24 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
As a cab driver in Boston, I'm a bit reluctant to try Uber or Lyft full-time.

Why? It seems as if rideshare drivers rack up mileage at least double or more than taxis, at least with the layout of Boston and some other cities.

In a cab, I sit around much of my shift, reading or resting and waiting for walkups. Sometimes I get a street hail while dropping off or heading back to a favorite cabstand... so that's not really going out of the way for that fare

In 12 hours, I may put fewer than 70 miles on a slow night. A busy night may be 120-155 miles but only a couple times monthly. Contrast an Uber driver needing to accept most pings or risk warnings, timeouts or suspension...and he sometimes drives 5-10 miles for a fare that goes down the block, netting him less than $3 after Uber fees...before expenses.

If one drives full-time, it seems it would be too many miles, too much fatigue, and too much risk of accidents and tix.
It's illegal in Vegas to accept a hail. It's a totally different world here.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:42 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,152,683 times
EA I can't wait to hear how this goes from someone I can trust.

Wishing you all the best !!!

Go get em!

Old 08-02-2016, 10:15 AM

799 posts, read 708,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojester View Post
EA I can't wait to hear how this goes from someone I can trust.

Wishing you all the best !!!

Go get em!
My feelings exactly! Once I know the area a little better, I was thinking it might be an interesting way to get out of the house and earn a little extra play money every now and again.

EA, can't wait to hear your real experiences, but for you and your family, I wish you all the success in the world.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:56 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usnftcret View Post
i agree..but the cost is going to be astronomical. even though the accidents were not his fault.. his clue report is going to be detrimental for him even being able to get the rideshare insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas