Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support public financing to build a stadium for the Raiders
Yes 33 27.05%
No 89 72.95%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 11:47 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,715,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisoccer99 View Post
No TV timeouts or any clock stoppage. They do add injury time at the end of each half. But the world cup had better ratings than the NBA finals if I remember correctly, of course the MLS doesn't draw the same ratings as the world cup tho

Bottom line here is what I see that hinders the MLS. The NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL are the best leagues in the world for that certain sport. The best players in the world will come to America or Canada to play in those leagues. Is the MLS the best soccer league in the world? I am not sure of that and when the best soccer players in the world come play in the MLS then I think it may have a shot at becoming one of the top 3 American sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 08:31 AM

621 posts, read 538,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisoccer99 View Post
No TV timeouts or any clock stoppage. They do add injury time at the end of each half. But the world cup had better ratings than the NBA finals if I remember correctly, of course the MLS doesn't draw the same ratings as the world cup tho
Again you're comparing a world competition to a national one. World competitions always draw better ratings because most people in America can rally around the US team as opposed to regional areas for each team in the NBA. MLS will have the same regional problem with the added issue that the MLS brand isn't nearly established.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:33 AM

621 posts, read 538,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
Bottom line here is what I see that hinders the MLS. The NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL are the best leagues in the world for that certain sport. The best players in the world will come to America or Canada to play in those leagues. Is the MLS the best soccer league in the world? I am not sure of that and when the best soccer players in the world come play in the MLS then I think it may have a shot at becoming one of the top 3 American sports.
It's not even close to the best league in the world. European leagues are far superior. This probably has to do with the fact that all four of the Big-4 sports were invented in North America while soccer was invented in Europe.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:26 AM

9,889 posts, read 7,223,915 times
Quote:
Oh ok, so there are no TV timeouts or injury timeouts like football or basketball? They do not stop the clock right? They just tack on that time at the end of the game? I wonder how the networks feel about the amount of commercials they can stuff in a game and if they can capture an audience just like the other sports?
NBC, ESPN, and Univision had the rights to national MLS telecasts through 2015. They were paying $27 million a year combined. ESPN and Fox Sports are now paying $70 million a year combined for the rights. So they must be making money on it. The sign boards on the field revenue goes to the team, not the networks so the revenue for the networks are what they can get onto the screen: the score box, 10 second ads on the sidebars, pregame, halftime, and post game updates.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:39 AM

9,889 posts, read 7,223,915 times
Quote:
The English Premiere League and Spanish La Liga are where the highest levels of soccer is played with EPL being the bigger force. That is where the best players in the world head to play and earn the highest salaries. MLS ranks way down in the top 10. MLS has specifically worked at not trying to emulate the top leagues in the world in terms of salary because they want the sport to grow and for teams to be financially viable. Someday the best in world may play in the MLS in their peak earning and performance years but it's going to be a long time. Even when Beckham played in LA, he was paid as much less than the $50 million a year touted. He was earning about $9 million a year but his commercial endorsements made up the rest of the money.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:45 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,280,492 times
Looks like they found the sweet spot for the new stadium to go. Has anybody played golf there? I guess the air traffic hasn't bothered them if it's been open for over ten years.

Bali Hai site top contender for Las Vegas NFL stadium location | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Old 08-07-2016, 11:06 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,032,119 times
Quote:
I guess the air traffic hasn't bothered them if it's been open for over ten years.
Maybe.

Quote:
In the next few days, the county is expected to get some specific information from the Clark County Department of Aviation and the Federal Aviation Administration to determine the suitability of the site

Old 08-07-2016, 11:24 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,715,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The English Premiere League and Spanish La Liga are where the highest levels of soccer is played with EPL being the bigger force. That is where the best players in the world head to play and earn the highest salaries. MLS ranks way down in the top 10. MLS has specifically worked at not trying to emulate the top leagues in the world in terms of salary because they want the sport to grow and for teams to be financially viable. Someday the best in world may play in the MLS in their peak earning and performance years but it's going to be a long time. Even when Beckham played in LA, he was paid as much less than the $50 million a year touted. He was earning about $9 million a year but his commercial endorsements made up the rest of the money.
Good info I learn something new everyday

Old 08-07-2016, 01:25 PM

452 posts, read 336,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Looks like they found the sweet spot for the new stadium to go. Has anybody played golf there? I guess the air traffic hasn't bothered them if it's been open for over ten years.

Bali Hai site top contender for Las Vegas NFL stadium location | Las Vegas Review-Journal
It's crazy to me that this site might be okay but the UNLV site is a no go

Old 08-07-2016, 01:35 PM

85 posts, read 87,398 times
My question now is will a retractable roof still be needed with the top site being directly next to a runway? I can't imagine watching a game with the noise of passenger planes every 3 minutes flying by the roof when retracted. That should save a pretty penny on the overall cost of the stadium when that feature is no longer needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas