Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 5,004 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone: I am a retired studio musician who teaches music privately in my home, and contemplating moving to LV in order to do some freelancing (weddings, shows). Very tired of cold weather, tornadoes, and small town life. I think, in time, I could get into some small ensemble contracting, conducting and some live performance work in LV.

But my question is, what part of the city would be most appropriate to a home teaching studio: a place where people would feel safe to bring their children to study (though I do teach adults, coach auditions, etc.) I need to find a good sort of medium priced residential area, but one not so far from the strip that driving would be a huge problem.

In other words, I don't want to live in an area where I feel my students would come back when I'm not there and steal my instruments, or where someone might hear the music and break in, for that same purpose.

I have no clue as I've never been to LV. Your ideas much appreciated, thanx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 04:14 PM

818 posts, read 3,698,510 times
I don't think there's an area that's immune to burglary. Gated communities may help with that but will be a pain when your students are trying to get in. You're more likely to have neighbors making noise complaints in newer areas with houses closer together and thinner walls. Also, living too far on one side of town will make it tough to get clients from the opposite side of town.

I'd look in 89123, 89147, 89117 and maybe 89120 - all of which are nice areas close enough to the Strip

Old 02-28-2008, 04:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,004 times
Thanks for your response! Do you know of a map online with the zips?

Old 02-28-2008, 04:24 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,474,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician2008 View Post
Hi everyone: I am a retired studio musician who teaches music privately in my home, and contemplating moving to LV in order to do some freelancing (weddings, shows). Very tired of cold weather, tornadoes, and small town life. I think, in time, I could get into some small ensemble contracting, conducting and some live performance work in LV.

But my question is, what part of the city would be most appropriate to a home teaching studio: a place where people would feel safe to bring their children to study (though I do teach adults, coach auditions, etc.) I need to find a good sort of medium priced residential area, but one not so far from the strip that driving would be a huge problem.
In other words, I don't want to live in an area where I feel my students would come back when I'm not there and steal my instruments, or where someone might hear the music and break in, for that same purpose.

I have no clue as I've never been to LV. Your ideas much appreciated, thanx.

And....you want to MOVE HERE???? but you've never been here?

Best advice is for you to take your first trip to Sin City, rent a car and head for any direction NOT on the Strip. When you see neighborhoods off the Strip, pull into them. See if they and the people you see about are to your liking. Kids from there might be your future pupils. You should do your fact finding/ initial trip here to LV first.

Before
you go looking for homes and for students who won't steal your instruments.

Good Luck to you nonetheless...peace

Old 02-28-2008, 11:06 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
Try looking towards the suburbs. I live in Summerlin, and lots of kids out here take private music lessons.

Also, traffic out here really isn't too bad. You can typically get to the strip from anywhere in the valley in a half hour or less.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,086 times
Hello, I think 89052 has a nice mix of upper middle class and would be about 20 minutes from the strip. I am interested in having my child taught to read music. So, keep my e-mail address and contact me when you are here and ready. vicenzisvenue@yahoo.com Thank you, Mimi

Old 02-11-2010, 12:31 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
hmmmm 2 post two years ago....don't hold yer breath
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas