Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 10:39 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,449,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
The source of the data was provided and is the only real source. Sorry about that.
The source of your two year old data was provided? I must have missed it. Do you provide your clients with two year old price comps? "Here are the comps for your neigborhood. Yes, the info is two years old but it should be in the ballpark."
Quote:
2006 was before peak...and removed all that irrelevant junk. From a point in time just before it went to the peak to the last point of which a measure is available LV did better. And I suspect when the 2010 data appears it will be the same way.
And I suspect your 2010 data will likely arrive in 2012 and hold the same relevancy as your current two year old data. I anxiously await.
Quote:
Overall in fact all three of these cities did very badly. Well off the national average. Showing that diversification was not a variable that separated them.
I repeat - Diversification is no guarantee of prosperity during a downturn. However, an economy focused on tourism and leisure is guaranteed to lag diversified economies during a downturn.
Quote:
Sorry Tony...I know it hurts you...but Vegas did fine with respect to Riverside...and continues to do so.
Ah, well we're making some progress now. Vegas may have done "fine" relative to Riverside, but your assertion that Vegas has done better than Riverside or Phoenix is a pure fabrication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagalog View Post
Pretty hard to believe since I can drive to any community in Vegas and see tons of empty homes that the banks haven't foreclosed on.
He is of the belief that if you repeat something often enough, and with conviction, people will believe you.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:53 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
We don't know what diversification might do because we have no intention of making the investment needed to try it.

Boston Housing? YOu lost your mind?
Lost my mind? Hardly. If our home was in Boston, MA instead of Las Vegas, NV, we would still have about 80% of our nest egg in equity -- instead of 45%.

So, yes -- I would rather have a Boston homeowner's problems than my own. But I'm happy to not own a snow shovel or a lawnmower. And I prefer my cost of living, taxes, and overall quality of life to that of Beantown(although Fenway season tickets would be nice right now). But equity-wise, they have the advantage.

PS -- This hair splitting about who's the worst off (Phoenix, Vegas or San Bernardino) is ridiculous. I've lived in the third world. "Worst off" is Rwanda, circa 1993. Or Iraq, circa 2003. Or Cambodia, circa 1977.

Most people here have no idea what "bad off" means. Let alone "worst off."

Old 08-12-2011, 12:52 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,765,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagalog View Post
Pretty hard to believe since I can drive to any community in Vegas and see tons of empty homes that the banks haven't foreclosed on.
Didn't you hear? The government is going to convert those homes into Section 8 rentals. Problem solved.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
What's their unemployment rate compared to Vegas?
June 2011 Unemployment Rates:

Phoenix = 9%

Las Vegas = 13.8%

Old 08-12-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
he is of the belief that if you repeat something often enough, and with conviction, people will believe you.
Current Update on the LV Real Estate Market -- Part II-realtor.jpg

Old 08-12-2011, 08:14 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
Quote:
June 2011 Unemployment Rates:

Phoenix = 9%

Las Vegas = 13.8%
The unemployment rate in the Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario MSA was 14.2 percent in June. 2011, up from a revised 13.2 percent in May 2011 ...

CA Labor Board

Give it up. Three cities in a triangle. Las Vegas is mostly the middle one.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
[]
And the Las Vegas Doomers can never stand truth...

Old 08-12-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Lost my mind? Hardly. If our home was in Boston, MA instead of Las Vegas, NV, we would still have about 80% of our nest egg in equity -- instead of 45%.

So, yes -- I would rather have a Boston homeowner's problems than my own. But I'm happy to not own a snow shovel or a lawnmower. And I prefer my cost of living, taxes, and overall quality of life to that of Beantown(although Fenway season tickets would be nice right now). But equity-wise, they have the advantage.
And a third of the house that you own. Boston prices are 3X
Vegas.

Quote:
PS -- This hair splitting about who's the worst off (Phoenix, Vegas or San Bernardino) is ridiculous. I've lived in the third world. "Worst off" is Rwanda, circa 1993. Or Iraq, circa 2003. Or Cambodia, circa 1977.

Most people here have no idea what "bad off" means. Let alone "worst off."
Of course it is absurd. All three cities are about the same. The doomers can't deal with that. They have to have Las Vegas the worst.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:13 AM

Some people just don't care for head-in-the-sand pollyannas that ignore and misrepresent data in order to sell homes. You hold out that diversification wouldn't have helped Vegas during the downturn because Vegas has outperformed diversified economies such as Riverside and Phoenix. The problem is your position doesn't stand up to scrutiny. It's a fabrication. A baseless opinion presented as fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas