Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 11:35 AM

347 posts, read 511,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Just skimmed the article about chinese investors...

It didn't appear to have anything to do with residential real estate (if I'm mistaken feel free to call me out on it).
Basically it seemed to state over and over that the chinese consider Las Vegas a stable place to invest in commercial.
They’re buying into Las Vegas like never before.

They’re pumping cash into major resort projects and big stage productions on the Strip and they’re purchasing single-family homes in quiet neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 12:46 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Just skimmed the article about chinese investors...

It didn't appear to have anything to do with residential real estate (if I'm mistaken feel free to call me out on it).
Basically it seemed to state over and over that the chinese consider Las Vegas a stable place to invest in commercial.
It's right there in the 2nd paragraph:
"...and they’re purchasing single-family homes in quiet neighborhoods."

Not to mention the E-B5 feature they're taking advantage of:
"Quietly released as part of the Immigration Act of 1990, the EB-5 programs created new opportunities for legal immigration to the United States"

And it's not just a new thing:
"Time and time again, Las Vegas has been named a top-10 market for Chinese homebuyers. “We have a realty arm that sells homes,” said Jacoby, who consistently sees wealthy Chinese investors moving to Las Vegas to buy homes in the suburbs for their families. That’s because Chinese tourists — both visitors and investors — love Las Vegas."

Old 05-12-2014, 12:53 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,673,031 times
Thank you for pointing that out.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:10 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,974 times
[orphaned]

I don't care if investors buy the houses. There's many "landlord cities" out there. The realtors don't care who's buying either. If the prices come down, that would invite more transactions to realtors' benefit. I don't care if the banks are manipulating the market or not and to what degree, it's something that's out of our hands anyways. If it's not illegal then it's none of our business other than to be aware of the backlog and offer caution when caution is due.

When someone asks me, "Should I buy a house?" it's never a simple yes or no. It's based on each individual's future plans and what makes the best sense financially. Real estate is an investment with risk just like anything else. Anyone offering guarantees is simply lying. Nobody knows the future and all we can do is track the history, nothing more.

Last edited by observer53; 05-13-2014 at 12:41 PM..

Old 05-12-2014, 02:46 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Price is up 5 or 6% so far this year. That is pretty hefty growth. I would think we are simply seeing the noise in these figures bouncing around. Median is subject to noise from size shifting. If the mix changes, as it does periodically, the median moves on its own. It is the other side of the sensitivity of the mean to large transaction jerking the number around.

I think we need to watch this number for a while. At the moment the 30 day median is up to $194,000. So we will likely see an increase in May.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:32 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,974 times
Seems to be holding steady at 1% as far as I can tell.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:01 PM

295 posts, read 362,781 times
Anybody watches CNBC, the real estate market in the US is slowing down, sales are slowing inventories are rising and prices are not appreciating and if I remember correctly it is down a little.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:16 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragabnh View Post
Anybody watches CNBC, the real estate market in the US is slowing down, sales are slowing inventories are rising and prices are not appreciating and if I remember correctly it is down a little.
for the whole country as a whole yes... remember we are in a strange place......What are the top 10 places people are moving out of and into....? They have to live somewhere...

Old 05-13-2014, 12:01 PM

The largest metropolitan areas, defined as those with populations greater than 950,000, that experienced the most rapid appreciation rates on a year-over-year basis compared to fourth quarter 2012 were Las Vegas (+26 percent),

CoreLogic Case-Shiller Home Price Indexes Confirm 11.3-Percent Increase in Q4 2013 - MarketWatch

Old 05-15-2014, 11:29 AM

Nevada foreclosure rate down to No. 8 in US

The market here is going from strength to strength.

Nevada foreclosure rate down to No. 8 in US - Las Vegas Sun News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas