Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 12:38 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,326,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxflyboy View Post

Most are suicides. My hunch is the vast majority of homicides are done by a person with a previous criminal history, and thus is illegally in possession of a firearm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 12:39 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,363,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughie View Post
As a person of color, I find it very offensive when someone plays the race card with me. Especially a self-annointed mensch. Please refer to me as Saint Hughie the Great in the future. Ridiculous.
If you don't care for the race card don't play it.

You are of the opinion that non Caucasians don't discriminate? Really?

Old 12-23-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2016 View Post
Can someone guess, in at which rate innocent people are victims of murder (eg. not involved in drugs, prostitution etc.).
E.g. burglary where the home owner gets killed during the event? Maybe 30% of all murders in LV?
Far rarer than that. Domestic violence, drug and gang disputes, even perpetrators getting shoot by a victim are more common. If you wish to see for yourself go to

https://www.lvmpd.com/en-us/Pages/CrimeStatistics.aspx

That is the homicide divisions list of the homicides in Clark County. If you google the victim names with "las vegas homicide" you will pick up the news stories on virtually all of them.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:45 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,810,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Most are suicides. My hunch is the vast majority of homicides are done by a person with a previous criminal history, and thus is illegally in possession of a firearm.
Does it matter though?

My interpretation of what that graph is clearly showing is:

more lax gun laws = more gun deaths

Old 12-23-2017, 08:45 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,495,108 times
The gun control thing is a red herring. NYC had the same gun control laws when we had 2200 murders a year as opposed to now when we're down to《350.

What made the difference? The highest cop to population ratio in the country, other than DC (who are needed to protect the capital), and, more importantly, we developed the will to to use all those cops aggressively enough to deal with the problems we had. Recently, we seem to have lost that will. So far that hasn't bitten us too badly (yet.)

Also note that the national murder rate went down for a lot if years, as states loosened their gun laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post

《snip》

The right response might be to see why we continue to have a problem with murders...while NYC does not. How can that be? Everyone knows NYC has about the countries toughest gun laws. How are they doing better than we?

《snip》

Old 12-24-2017, 02:10 AM

294 posts, read 236,461 times
I think there are several reasons:

1. Income inequality and missing quality social net:
In the high developed European countries, there are close to no homeless.
Everyone is take care of. In USA there are very poor and very rich people.
The poor may be more inclined to do massive crimes as they have nothing to lose.

2. Drug use:
Not sure how it happened but again, countries like Austria with some of the lowest
homicide rates in the world, have by far not as many drug addicts.
Again, if you are drug addicted, and maybe point 1 plays in, you have nothing to lose,
and you are more inclined to do a crime.

3. Massive Immigration From Countries with high crime rates:
In Ezurope we experience now massive immigration from countries with high crime rates.
Those people also have up to 40 times the crime rates of a the average person born in
Germany, Switzerland , Austria or Scandinavia. USA has allowed immigration from all over the world.
Immigration from highly developed countries is minimal. Most of the US immigrants as of today are coming
from development countries.
If the crime rate is 100 times higher in a certain country, and you import people from those countries,
this may result that the crime rate of this population will also be higher than the crime rate of US born people,
once they live in the US. You import the good and the bad.
Same thing, if you import people from e.g. Switzerland where the crime rates are lower than those in the US,
it seems logic that overall crime rates would not be negatively impacted by this. I think South and Central America has a homicide problem as well and this is where many immigrants to the US come from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

UNODC murder rates, most recent year[1]
Region Rate Count
Americas 16.3 157,000
Africa 12.5 135,000
World 6.2 437,000
Europe 3.0 22,000
Oceania 3.0 1,100
Asia 2.9 122,000

USA is 126. in this homicide list, last of the developed world and close to countries with war/civil war like Somalia, Sudan or Yemen.

As for Vegas in particular, and while I love Vegas
a) some areas are really bad, looking like a war zone in Africa. I am sure crime rates are explosive high in those areas,
and other areas can`t be immune against people from those areas "visiting by". I am not sure if NYC has compareable
bad areas.

b) 40 million visitors and the drugs / prostitution they consume has created it`s own crime industry that contributes
to the statistics.

c) the relative good weather might attract drug addicts more than this would be in NY where they would die in winter without having a home.

I am not a Vegas insider and don`t claim all this is right, just on top of my head those points pop up.

Last edited by Michael2016; 12-24-2017 at 02:45 AM..

Old 12-25-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2016 View Post
I think there are several reasons:

1. Income inequality and missing quality social net:
In the high developed European countries, there are close to no homeless.
Everyone is take care of. In USA there are very poor and very rich people.
The poor may be more inclined to do massive crimes as they have nothing to lose.
Don't fall into the intellectual traps Michael. Be careful of the differences between violent crime and murder. If the problem was as you suggest it would be violent crime - particularly those associated with acquiring wealth - not murder. But the USA is relatively high on murder rather than violent crime.

Quote:
2. Drug use:
Not sure how it happened but again, countries like Austria with some of the lowest
homicide rates in the world, have by far not as many drug addicts.
Again, if you are drug addicted, and maybe point 1 plays in, you have nothing to lose,
and you are more inclined to do a crime.
Perhaps some truth locally. The high crime areas are generally those associated with drugs rather than the poor.

Quote:
3. Massive Immigration From Countries with high crime rates:
In Ezurope we experience now massive immigration from countries with high crime rates.
Those people also have up to 40 times the crime rates of a the average person born in
Germany, Switzerland , Austria or Scandinavia. USA has allowed immigration from all over the world.
Immigration from highly developed countries is minimal. Most of the US immigrants as of today are coming
from development countries.
If the crime rate is 100 times higher in a certain country, and you import people from those countries,
this may result that the crime rate of this population will also be higher than the crime rate of US born people,
once they live in the US. You import the good and the bad.
Same thing, if you import people from e.g. Switzerland where the crime rates are lower than those in the US,
it seems logic that overall crime rates would not be negatively impacted by this. I think South and Central America has a homicide problem as well and this is where many immigrants to the US come from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

UNODC murder rates, most recent year[1]
Region Rate Count
Americas 16.3 157,000
Africa 12.5 135,000
World 6.2 437,000
Europe 3.0 22,000
Oceania 3.0 1,100
Asia 2.9 122,000

USA is 126. in this homicide list, last of the developed world and close to countries with war/civil war like Somalia, Sudan or Yemen.
Be careful with all that. The largest source of immigration tend to be from the Hispanic countries and generally has a crime rate at or below the US average. In some places importing Mexicans might well lower the crime rate.

Quote:
As for Vegas in particular, and while I love Vegas
a) some areas are really bad, looking like a war zone in Africa. I am sure crime rates are explosive high in those areas,
and other areas can`t be immune against people from those areas "visiting by". I am not sure if NYC has compareable
bad areas.

b) 40 million visitors and the drugs / prostitution they consume has created it`s own crime industry that contributes
to the statistics.

c) the relative good weather might attract drug addicts more than this would be in NY where they would die in winter without having a home.

I am not a Vegas insider and don`t claim all this is right, just on top of my head those points pop up.
You have not spent enough time here. There are a number of reasonably terrible areas with very high crime rates that appear perfectly normal lower middle class. Try the area south of UNLV. Or Fremont and 12th. There are places that look a little ratty - Foremaster for example - but they are not the worst around. And in general there are no places in Vegas that compare to the slums of the rust belt..

And go just a mile south of your home and you are in Sun City...and the crime rate is about as low as anywhere. The crime rate in the RNP is also very low. The zip code is a little worse but the half acres are quite good.

The flow of tourists does have an impact but mainly because we count their crimes but not their populations. Not huge though as the strip is relatively safe. Perhaps a 10 or 12% overstatement.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:38 AM

294 posts, read 236,461 times
Thanks for the insight. I haven`t claimed that I am an expert on the topic just shared what I thought might contribute but you have the experience and statistics to know that better..

Old 12-26-2017, 01:48 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,495,108 times
NV / Clark County should allow and encourage landlords to screen for prior convictions, and refuse to rent to anyone with such.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:16 AM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times
^

There's a criminal born every minute, any number in apartment buildings with no prior convictions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: