Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 12:54 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,394,001 times

Advertisements

Wow, didn't expect this. Las Vegas is rated #10 for murders so far in 2017 (not counting 1st October massacre)! #1 is St. Louis!

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/mur...&ad_id=7314750

(gotta scroll allot)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 01:55 PM

294 posts, read 236,461 times
I guess lots of this is related to drugs and prostitution. Therefore, not very relevant for the average person living in Vegas. Also, 45 million visitors per year are part of this statistics increasing the rates of the town.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:01 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,363,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Wow, didn't expect this. Las Vegas is rated #10 for murders so far in 2017 (not counting 1st October massacre)! #1 is St. Louis!

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/mur...&ad_id=7314750

(gotta scroll allot)
Does not seem to compute. The Valley, without the Oct 1 shooting, was on target to duplicate last year with about 9 per 100,000. The numbers listed would appear to be City of Las Vegas which are virtually impossible to sort out from any source I know of and would make little sense as they would remove the strip etc.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:45 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,676,119 times
I think the vast majority would be domestic related incidents (if not the majority than at least a significant percent).

Probably 95% of homocides here are related to who you know rather than random acts of violence.

Strip shooting excluded ofcourse.

Maybe the murder rate in some of the other cities dropped so even though we were about the same as last year that bimped Las Vegas up the list.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:54 AM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times
Too many people get scared off by looking at a city's murder rate, given the majority of the murders are people who knew the victim. When it comes to married couples, it's been well-proven, historically, 80% of the time a spouse is killed, the other spouse was involved in some way or another. So don't be surprised if husband comes home some night, after work, finds wife laying in a pool of blood in a bedroom. Yup! 10 police officers show up, and 8 will have Guilty stamped on their foreheads!

I've never been put off by the murder rate in Tijuana, which I've frequented so often, knowing all too well, it's not tourists getting murdered, it's people knowing someone else.

When I was traveling in El Salvador, highest murder rate in Latin America, I traveled around that country completely calm, knowing, once again, I wasn't going to be targeted.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:12 AM

496 posts, read 366,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Too many people get scared off by looking at a city's murder rate, given the majority of the murders are people who knew the victim. When it comes to married couples, it's been well-proven, historically, 80% of the time a spouse is killed, the other spouse was involved in some way or another. So don't be surprised if husband comes home some night, after work, finds wife laying in a pool of blood in a bedroom. Yup! 10 police officers show up, and 8 will have Guilty stamped on their foreheads!

I've never been put off by the murder rate in Tijuana, which I've frequented so often, knowing all too well, it's not tourists getting murdered, it's people knowing someone else.

When I was traveling in El Salvador, highest murder rate in Latin America, I traveled around that country completely calm, knowing, once again, I wasn't going to be targeted.
I don't understand your statement that 8 of 10 have guilty stamped on your head? Of course, you must certainly realize Mexico us under Napoleonic law, in Mexico you are presumed guilty until proven innocent, right?

Old 12-06-2017, 07:04 AM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughie View Post
I don't understand your statement that 8 of 10 have guilty stamped on your head? Of course, you must certainly realize Mexico us under Napoleonic law, in Mexico you are presumed guilty until proven innocent, right?
Over my 67 years, I've read enough True Crime books, that, stacked up, could reach the top of the Stratosphere Tower, and it scared me to learn, that when a spouse is killed, history steps forth with those statistics. Women oftentimes hire someone to do it.

And, also proven, if this nightmare should happen to you, going home some night to find a spouse killed in your house, that those who readily speak to the police, at the crime scene, are generally the most suspicious suspects.

No matter how innocent you are, what proof you can provide you weren't there when it happened, show your intelligence and immediately call an attorney, and say not one word to the police!

Old 12-06-2017, 08:03 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,810,336 times
Quote:
Over my 67 years, I've read enough True Crime books, that, stacked up, could reach the top of the Stratosphere Tower, and it scared me to learn, that when a spouse is killed, history steps forth with those statistics. Women oftentimes hire someone to do it.

And, also proven, if this nightmare should happen to you, going home some night to find a spouse killed in your house, that those who readily speak to the police, at the crime scene, are generally the most suspicious suspects.

No matter how innocent you are, what proof you can provide you weren't there when it happened, show your intelligence and immediately call an attorney, and say not one word to the police!
Nonsense. All you have to do is tell them that "the one armed man killed my wife"... If you didn't know that, then you need to read more books.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:50 AM

496 posts, read 366,163 times
Quote:

You're 67? Unless there's another Mexican guy downtown that walks a weasel on a leash, you're a young looking 67. Congratulations.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:30 PM

134 posts, read 177,951 times
I lived in St. Louis for 4.5 years. I never could put my finger on it but to me it was the most depressing place I have ever lived. Emphasizing "I ever lived". I just didn't like it there. There were some very nice parts to it (which I couldn't afford to live) etc but I just was never comfortable there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: