Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 06:49 AM

5 posts, read 11,526 times

Advertisements

Ok. Last night we were talking to a Syracuse PD Officer and he almost accepted a job in Henderson/Green Valley. He knows the area well and goes there alot. However he has a wife and kids and told us that he personally wouldn't raise his children in GV. We were asking him about the crime/schools and everything. He said that Meth is a HUGE issue in Henderson area and in the schools. So now obviously we are sooo concerned about moving there. He said unless you want to put your children in Private schools.........he would strongly suggest, (being a uniform officer) that we do a tad bit more research before we move.

What do you think? Is METH a HUGE problem there? Are my children going to be at risk? I don't live in a bubble - I know it's in every city, every school.......but.....My children go to one of the best schools here and they have drug issues - but it is kept under control for the most part.

Please help me here - Anyone with children...........respond and let me know the ACTUAL FACTS.............before I pack up two families and move across country. If not I will wait for them to graduate and my husband and I will move out there then.

Thank you everyone for your responses and I look forward to hearing about the safety in schools, drugs, and crime out there from anyone that can help me!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 08:54 AM

560 posts, read 2,188,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman View Post
Ok. Last night we were talking to a Syracuse PD Officer and he almost accepted a job in Henderson/Green Valley. He knows the area well and goes there alot. However he has a wife and kids and told us that he personally wouldn't raise his children in GV. We were asking him about the crime/schools and everything. He said that Meth is a HUGE issue in Henderson area and in the schools. So now obviously we are sooo concerned about moving there. He said unless you want to put your children in Private schools.........he would strongly suggest, (being a uniform officer) that we do a tad bit more research before we move.

What do you think? Is METH a HUGE problem there? Are my children going to be at risk? I don't live in a bubble - I know it's in every city, every school.......but.....My children go to one of the best schools here and they have drug issues - but it is kept under control for the most part.

Please help me here - Anyone with children...........respond and let me know the ACTUAL FACTS.............before I pack up two families and move across country. If not I will wait for them to graduate and my husband and I will move out there then.

Thank you everyone for your responses and I look forward to hearing about the safety in schools, drugs, and crime out there from anyone that can help me!!!
I teach in the school district. Our drug problem is no different than anywhere else. I can't tell you your children will be fine because I have no idea how involved of a parent you are. If you are a parent that stays on top of your kids and is involved with what they are doing and knows who and where their kids are hanging out with then you will be fine. If you want your kids to raise themselves then stay where you are. I am raising 3 daughters here and I always know who, what, where and when. My oldest starts high school next year and trust me, I am aware and up for the challenge.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:38 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman View Post

The police officer is incorrect. Meth is a problem. It is not a problem in the schools in the outer suburbs. Much of the meth problems in the inner schools deals with the children of meth addicted parents.

Pot is still the drug of choice for adolescents...particularly in the suburbs.

Las Vegas suburban schools are much the same as those of any large city. If it a problem where you are...it is a problem here...if it is not...it is not here as well.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:17 PM

5 posts, read 15,328 times
As any vegas local will tell you, we each have our preferences of where to live in the valley and we each have our "I would never live in..." responses. Everything is relative. I went to High School in Boulder City, my parents are still there, but I've been in Henderson for the last 5 years (mainly because of lower housing prices in Henderson). I still prefer BC, and want to be close, so I will not be venturing out of the SE corner of Henderson to the congestion and traffic of green valley, anthem, Vegas, etc.

I do think Green Valley Ranch is very nice and not too badly overpopulated like Summerlin (that's my "I would never live in" response). I have heard the schools in GVR are good, especially if you are zoned for the same schools as McDonald Highlands residents, or some other exclusive development, because those schools get more money from the parents. But this is hearsay. I think 89052 and maybe 89012 are good zips in that sense. I live in 89002, but no kids yet so I can't comment on the schools near us.

The original Green Valley (89014 I think) is getting old and I see more instances of graffiti there (that is my meter of how nice a place really is). Traffic and congestion is a big criteria for me and I doubt I could handle living in newer Anthem and having to drive down Eastern Ave. every day.

The truth is, crime-wise I don't think any place is really better than the other. Not even BC. Burglaries are becoming too prevalent even there, and the nice neighborhoods are targeted by theives. And this isn't hearsay. But BC is still tops for raising a family, in my opinion.

I wouldn't worry about drugs too much - if your kids are busy with school activities and you keep tabs on them, they should be fine. I had plenty of pot-smoking friends in BC, but I never touched the stuff. But I don't think we had heard of Meth in the 90s.

Keep in mind there is no such thing as utopia. Plus, we have over 1 million people here - there is no wall between Henderson and Vegas, nor Henderson and BC for that matter. But overall, I think you can be happy in the valley and raise a family - no matter what non-residents will tell you.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:20 PM

56 posts, read 223,510 times
Default it's everywhere!!

There is Meth everywhere- even here in Minnesota..
There is crime everywhere- even here in Minnesota..
There is traffic everywhere-even here in Minnesota...

Teach your children well, show them you love them and are there for them, give them consequences when they are bad.. don't spoil them or let them play video games all day and it shouldn't matter where you live.

oh yeah.. and it's cold 9 months out of the year here ... in Minnesota.
There are two seasons in Minnesota- Winter and Road Construction!!

Old 03-28-2008, 08:02 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota is cold View Post
There is Meth everywhere- even here in Minnesota..
There is crime everywhere- even here in Minnesota..
There is traffic everywhere-even here in Minnesota...

Teach your children well, show them you love them and are there for them, give them consequences when they are bad.. don't spoil them or let them play video games all day and it shouldn't matter where you live.

oh yeah.. and it's cold 9 months out of the year here ... in Minnesota.
There are two seasons in Minnesota- Winter and Road Construction!!
YOu are clearly ready to move to the Sun Belt.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:01 PM

Default Brrrrr...

Yes, I am. Ever since I was in my teens I have wanted to move away from winter-

I would so love to have a house with a pool, but it is not worth it here. You only have 3 months to use it and in those 3 months there WILL be some rainy days, surely a tornado warning or two and add in some hail to damage my brand new 1 week old car!

I have small portable heaters in about every room of my house- it has been extra cold this winter- 14 below cold on average!!!!
I am freezing all the time.... You betcha!! (spoken with my norwiegn accent).

Old 03-28-2008, 11:16 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota is cold View Post
Yes, I am. Ever since I was in my teens I have wanted to move away from winter-

I would so love to have a house with a pool, but it is not worth it here. You only have 3 months to use it and in those 3 months there WILL be some rainy days, surely a tornado warning or two and add in some hail to damage my brand new 1 week old car!

I have small portable heaters in about every room of my house- it has been extra cold this winter- 14 below cold on average!!!!
I am freezing all the time.... You betcha!! (spoken with my norwiegn accent).
ohhhnoooo the snoooo this winter was so cold we actually closed the french door to the bedroom patio for....at least,,,,,,,4 weeks....sonmetimes we even ran the heat..... and when yo sit by thge pool in the summer there are no Mosquitos [otherwise know as Air Minnesota]

Old 03-29-2008, 10:51 AM

Default Mosquitos

Mosquitos- that's right I almost forgot about those!-
I guess that's one good thing about 9 months of winter- you soon forget all those nasty huge itchy welts from the bites.

We are on our way to Vegas again next week-end to check out some more of the local areas-- my ex-sister in-law lives in Henderson and was pretty positive when I called her to ask her if my husbands idea to move there was good vs bad. She said she wouldn't move back to Mn.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:33 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
Henderson/Green Valley is a beautiful area. I like the layout, the greenery and the view of The Strip. I only get over there a few times a year. It's quite a drive from my vantage point in the far north/northwest.

Minnesota, if you can, check out Aliante while you are here.
Welcome to Aliante!
We are located at the 215 beltway. Between Decatur to the west and Clayton to the east. Grand Teton to the north and Centennial Parkway to the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas