Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2018, 07:04 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
OK I know where this is. Knew someone who lived there. Said when real estate crashed thing really went down hill. Section 8 people came in lots of drug dealing. They gave up home and moved up northern US.

Thanks lvmensch
Don't think the bad renter is in Lamplight Village. Sold a house in their. Wrong neighborhood for the bad tenant.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 07:19 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,670,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Don't think the bad renter is in Lamplight Village. Sold a house in their. Wrong neighborhood for the bad tenant.
Yeah, Lamplight is a pretty quiet community...I've had several quite respectable coworkers over the years who live in there. It's not an undesirable area.

Anyone trying to sell a property in there at the moment I would imagine is BEYOND angry over this.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:51 PM

8,418 posts, read 4,575,875 times
Quote:
No, I don't live in Lamplight village. I was just sharing an experience we have that might be similar to the Lamplight HOA lawsuit situation.

Also, our tweakers are literally the only undesirables in our community. It's an otherwie fairly nice neighborhood. We are trying to keep it that way.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:05 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,490,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
We have a group of tweakers renting a house in our community. They have low-life people coming and going at all hours. Mattress's in the garage for people to sleep on (at times there are 15 people living there). They have been known to wander the streets with a cordless drill looking for houses to drill the deadbolt on. At one point they caught one of the bedrooms on fire but managed to put it out around by the time the fire trucks got there. Our HOA president has done everything in her power to get rid of them. She installed surveillance cameras to keep an eye on them (ironically, she lives right next door). Warned them, stickered the illegally parked cars, calls the police on them ALL the time. She's contacted the owners of the property several times with pictures but they don't seem to care that their house is being trashed as long as the section 8 check shows up each month.

As annoying and even scary as this all is, everyone in the community got a wake up call when they learned they will likely get sued when two of the landscapers got stuck by dirty needles when they were cleaning up around the house. The workers went to the hospital and were told they would have to keep coming back for a year to be tested for hep C and HIV.

I just don't see how all the law-abiding homeowners are on the hook for this but the scummy landlord is not responsible at all.
You should find out the name of the investor owner and drill on his or her head and that if anything happens to you or the community they are ultimately responsible for the actions of their tenants. This is aside from what your HOA should be doing in the first place.

I have dealt with out of state Chinese investors in my building and I make sure they know together with the HOA that if their garbage tenants cause any harm to me or the property I made them realise they are ultimately responsible. I also send my email carbon copy with the news media, Clark County Government Center, the Sheriff and everyone else I can think of everytime I send an email.

I have dealt with druggies in my building and yes they are nuisance and trash. No respect for the others in the community. Luckily the current tenant above my unit is decent. On my last email with the investor owners, I told them and their management company I will no longer tolerate the next garbage tenants
they place above my unit. I will win this one if it reaches the court system.

Out of state investors are garbage, they've destroyed Clark County and made it difficult for the average locals to even acquire a home and their tenants are not any better. The investors priced the locals out of the market.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:41 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Where is Lamp Light Village? Never heard of it.
Beautiful community in the NW, not too far from Tule Springs. My first house was near there, though significantly less expensive on my " just turned 30 " salary. Lamplight Estates were even more beautiful with finished basements, MIL quarters, etc.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:44 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,453,624 times
Quote:
I would think beyond a doubt a bankruptcy court can order an HOA to assess it members.

There can be even worse alternatives some times. I know of a famous east coast case where the HOA was forced to sell its commons...which was a few acres of greenery that made the place what it was. In the case of Lamplighter what happens if the plaintiff or someone else ends up owning the HOA property...like the parks, gate and streets? Buck an exit?
Worse alternatives? That was a great alternative - and once that was gone there really is no excuse to have an HOA.

Jerk HOA board used HOA to intimidate and harass other owners - the primary purpose of HOAs. Board causes victims to incur over $400,000 in attorney fees - then victims win and end up with judgment against HOA. What's the matter with that?

Although the HOA was supposed to sell its property (it was HOA corporation property not "common" area) I don't believe it had to. The case was Farran v. Olde Belhaven and it was out of Virginia.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:43 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
No, I don't live in Lamplight village. I was just sharing an experience we have that might be similar to the Lamplight HOA lawsuit situation.

Also, our tweakers are literally the only undesirables in our community. It's an otherwie fairly nice neighborhood. We are trying to keep it that way.
Maybe the guy was just trying to save face on losing his house. We didn't care but he was trying to be our investment guy. No thanks. You can't handle your own financial situation, you're not handling mine.

His description of where he lived was what Lvmensch stated.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:24 AM

8,418 posts, read 4,575,875 times
Quote:
Maybe the guy was just trying to save face on losing his house. We didn't care but he was trying to be our investment guy. No thanks. You can't handle your own financial situation, you're not handling mine.

His description of where he lived was what Lvmensch stated.
Gotcha.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:28 PM

949 posts, read 788,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
https://www.ktnv.com/news/contact-13...set-negligence

My thoughts go out to this family...seems the community was at fault for not keeping the equipment maintained.
The last sentence of the story though....homeowners could be on the hook for the expense of the settlement beyond what the HOA insurance policy covers....like tens of thousands per household????
Really...this should be pretty concerning to anyone in an HOA I would think.
How will this likely pan out?
Your Loss Assessment insurance coverage should kick in to help cover liabilities resulting from an injury lawsuit for an accident that occurred in the common area. It would cover those liabilities that weren't sufficiently covered by the HOA's master policy.

When I took out my condo insurance policy I thought a $1K limit with a $500 deductible for loss assessments (each occurrence) should be sufficient in my complex w/360 units. That's what the agent proposed. Perhaps I should rethink that in light of this settlement. The CCR's require the master plan to cover not less than $200K per person per injury and not less than $1M per occurrence. I also just checked with my umbrella policy and they will not cover a liability incurred due to inadequate loss assessment coverage.

I'm also wondering if I should get earthquake insurance. I doubt it's covered by the HOA's master policy.

Last edited by mitchmiller9; 02-27-2018 at 06:43 PM..

Old 03-01-2018, 09:19 PM

949 posts, read 788,530 times
Somewhat disconcerting is that I discovered that my condo insurance's loss assessment coverage EXCLUDES punitive damages. Of the $20M LampLight judgement, I believe $10M was levied as a punitive damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas