Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 07:34 PM

200 posts, read 174,950 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I was considering a move to AZ until I read about their sewer roaches. I grew up in Florida, and have had enough of cockroaches to last a lifetime. (I don't believe they came up the sewer in Florida, more like cracks and crevices.)

Can you tell me if you have them in Las Vegas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 07:50 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Roaches do live here. Palmetto bugs look like flying roaches. I had to google sewer roaches and they said it's an oriental cockroach and I have never seen those here. I see a few palmetto bugs every year and that's it. I am sure you saw those in FL. I saw them in Texas too but they were bigger there!

Old 04-03-2018, 10:36 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
Regardless of if they exist here as long as you keep water in your traps I wouldn't imagine it being a problem.

I've NEVER had the inside of my house treated for bugs in all the years I've lived out here and never had roaches coming up the drains. I did have pest control doing the outside for about a year...I don't exactly remember why but it probably those teeny ants. I also had like a crazy bad black widow problem which the spraying solved. I think I've only seen one or two in the 3 years I've been back and I never resumed spaying.

I imagine bugs in Florida being as bad as South Texas...no thank you and never again.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:50 PM

200 posts, read 174,950 times
Whew, I'm relieved to hear that. Yes I'm familiar with palmetto bugs, those bumbling idiots. In attempting to fly away from me they somehow would end up flying into me. Worst.Bugs.EVER!

Thanks for the replies!

Old 04-06-2018, 10:44 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Those stupid giant roaches in the summer that come into your home from underground, yes, they are here. We used to never have a problem with them, maybe one or two in the summer when we first moved here. But then all the freeway work, chased all the bugs into the homes. They live underground and only come out when it gets too hot out, usually the end of this month, up until October. Then back underground where they belong.
We have someone that sprays outside and in the garage in the hot months.

The flying one's, they are also here. Not as prevalent as the giant underground ones. I noticed those mostly when living on the other side of town off of West Sahara, right next to Peccole Ranch. But have also seen a few of them flying around in the summer nights here in Aliante. I hate all of them! I keep trying to get my husband to move to a more neutral climate without these rotten summer bugs, but he wants to stay here for life.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:23 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Does their emergence look like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5e3qoREpuA

Old 04-08-2018, 10:35 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseSky View Post
Hi Everyone,

I was considering a move to AZ until I read about their sewer roaches. I grew up in Florida, and have had enough of cockroaches to last a lifetime. (I don't believe they came up the sewer in Florida, more like cracks and crevices.)

Can you tell me if you have them in Las Vegas???
Really? That is going to stop you from moving to AZ? They are gross, you do see them, but it's not like they are attacking people or swarming. Spray the outside of your house and they stay out. Same as in LV

Old 04-08-2018, 11:01 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
The field roaches show up every summer. They are harmless and generally stay outside unless one makes a mad dash when you open the door to try to get into your AC cooled space.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:19 AM

505 posts, read 584,170 times
I've seen a palmetto bug maybe twice in all the years I've lived in Vegas. Since moving to this home, I've seen far more scorpions than I'd ever seen living in my apartment and condo in other parts of the valley.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:24 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,345,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I've NEVER had the inside of my house treated for bugs in all the years I've lived out here and never had roaches coming up the drains.

Roaches, no. Ants, yes. They come up the drains regardless of whether there is water in them.

Quote:
I imagine bugs in Florida being as bad as South Texas...no thank you and never again.

I grew up in northern Florida. When I kicked on the light in my parents' garage, the palmetto bugs would scatter. They were probably big enough to be picked up on radar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas